Ren'Py DAZ3D Asset Costs

benanin

Mar 29, 2018
Hi everyone!
A friend and I want to get out frst renpy project startet. We both work in the game industry, especially marketing, and are tired that there´s no AAA adult game yet ;) I will do the artwork renders, therefore I´m collecting everything I need for.
So now my big question for the fellas who have experience with DAZ3D:

Did you invest in the assets big time from scratch or did you collect everything, noted the creator and bought everything afterwards after seeing your game could get good?

Thanks in advance for answers:)

W22N

Jan 5, 2018
Hi everyone!
and are tired that there´s no AAA adult game yet ;)
So a couple of marketing guys will be making an AAA game in ren'py? Or did I get that wrong?
Afaik most people use pirated assets until they start to make some money and they buy afterwards, there could be a few exceptions though. I'm yet to see someone getting caught using the black flag (even though it's not something you publicly flaunt), perhaps due to the fact that it's hard to pinpoint exactly what you're using when the daz store alone has thousands upon thousands of items and you're outputting a simple image.
But as I've read before, all it takes is one small change in daz's ToS and you're going down the rabbit hole.

benanin

Mar 29, 2018
So a couple of marketing guys will be making an AAA game in ren'py? Or did I get that wrong?
Hell you got that extremely wrong:D Btw more like art department of marketing, we´re no Excel knights.
But many thanks for your clarification. Got some experience in C4D and Maya but making a visual novel by that with hundreds and later hopefully thousands of assets wont get us a RoI thats worth it. Daz is quite a good deal but aint sure about all the legal and non-legal stuff when it comes down to (non-)commercial use and patreon.

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
You probably missed an excellent opportunity to grab some very popular Daz assets on sale for cheap a couple of days ago. A bunch of the Ironman13/i13 bundles were on sale for $2.99 per bundle. I do not expect that to happen again anytime soon...

There's a number of places you can check for Daz freebies. I've included four links at the bottom of my post.
Plus, of course, there are the freebies that are available through the Daz3D store, with a few new freebies appearing every couple of weeks.

You can actually manage to do a fair amount of stuff using just the freebies, but mainly those are best used to help familiarize yourself with the program, and maybe do a few nice renders in the meantime.

If you are going to be buying Daz Studio assets regularly at some point fairly soon, you WILL want to grab a Platinum Club membership. Right now, for non-members, they are 20% off (50% off for current PC+ members, but of course mine isn't due for another 5 months...), but I've seen higher percentages than that in the past (50% off used to happen a lot, 30% off seems to be more of the norm now).

The 'just' 20% off PC+ is probably a bit too steep, but if you plan on spending say more than $250 on Daz assets in the near future, yeah it may still probably be worth it, especially assuming that you wanted to take advantage of the current PC+ sale deals while they are still on.

If you already have a Daz PC+ membership, yeah definitely squeeze the life out of that baby - within your budget constraints, of course!

Between the additional freebies you get every week (often texture addons, but there's usually a standalone product or two in the PC+ freebies every week), and the additional discounts you get on everything, not to mention the two $6 coupons (restrictions apply), yeah for new Daz buyers it's a no brainer really, unless you are planning on spending very little on Daz assets - say less than $200-300 a year may be the point of diminishing returns.

Here's the text from a post I made a few months ago r.e. Daz3D sales and such (I've updated a couple of minor points):

Daz3D Store shopping tips

1) Don't buy Platinum Club at full price.
30% discounts on PC+ club memberships happen every month or so, sometimes the discount is bigger. 50% off of PC+ used to be fairly common, not so much lately.
If you do significant amounts of Daz shopping, yeah get Plat club, you'll earn enough discounts to offset the membership price fairly quickly (generally within the first month for me, but then I regularly do a fair amount of Daz3D asset shopping.)
There are weekly PC+ freebies, and of course the two monthly coupons ($6 off DO's, $6 off of 18), which are nice too. The weekly PC+ freebies are somewhat hit and miss, but sometimes some really cool stuff ends up as PC+ freebies.

2) USE THE GIFT CARDS!!!
Gift cards go on sale at least once a month. The discount isn't usually all that huge (10-15%), but sometimes the discounts are deeper. After buying a gift card, you simply transfer the balance to your Daz store credit, which in effect translates to an additional discount on any items you are buying with said gift card store credit.
Not too long ago, there was a stacked discounts and coupon situation where the discount worked out to 32%, but of course you had to buy items from a certain prerequisite list to trigger the higher discounts (i.e. the buy-in). I'd consider this very rare, but if you shop in the Daz3D store regularly, yeah keep an eye on the sales discounts for gift cards when they are offered.

3) Watch for the steep discounts
40-50% off artist catalogs is rather common. 60% is a bit less common, 70% or more is unusual and definitely worth considering.
80%+, yeah this happens sometimes, usually on older items, and those sales are definitely worth looking into if you are looking to stretch your Daz3D shopping budget and are wanting to increase your product library with fun wardrobe items and such, assuming that you have the required Autofit plugins to use said items on newer figures.

As an example, the current PC+ sale that's been running for the last couple of weeks (since mid-October), and that should be wrapping up soon - yeah there are some real deals here, just gotta keep an eye on the sales.

4) The Daz Deals browser plugin
There is a Daz Deals browser plugin, which tracks the sales history of various items over the last year. While said graph doesn't tell the full story, i.e. when additional discounts are triggered with additional purchases, it can give you a pretty good feel for the 'deal' being currently offered on an item, and how often that item might go on sale.
It also has associated sales discount email alerts, which you can disable if you want, but these alerts, specifically the 'best deals' one can give you a quick heads up on sales on how good the discount on your wishlisted items might be.

5) Don't be afraid to submit a ticket for a price difference if an item you just bought goes on sale for a steeper discount. The Daz sales team will often give you a credit for the difference, as this indirectly ties in with the Daz return policy (i.e. Daz allows you to 'return' most items if you aren't satisfied, to a point).

6) Stacked discounts and Daz math
These are a LOT more rare then they used to be, but occasionally you see situations where discounts from different sales can combine for a bigger discount, assuming the prerequisite items are purchased. The Daz Deals plugin will sometimes point out when these might be in play.
Daz math often applies additional discounts on the 'remaining percentage' rather than the full percentage. I.E. an additional 20% off of the 30% off (so .7 x .8 = .56, not .5). If you are looking to maximize your Daz spending dollars, yeah keep in mind these nuances with the Daz math...

I'm sure there are others, and maybe these should be moved to their own thread, but in the meantime, those are the 'biggies' for me.

As for Renderosity...
1) If you are a Prime member, you get more 'cash back' via rewards points than if you are not. Also, Prime members get better discounts on a number of (not all) items on sale, etc.
2) As a prime member, you get that 20% off one use coupon every month, and additional coupons often show up throughout the month. Of course, it doesn't apply to all items (some vendors do not participate in coupon discounts with some/all of their items), but every little bit helps.
3) Your Renderosity wishlist is a bit more important, as every so often a 'wishlist' sale shows up that offers 50% or more off of wishlisted items. Not quite once a month, but I've seen 3-4 of these between December and now.

Renderosity items often have smaller 'mega sale' discounts than say the Daz3D store, but oftentimes newly released item prices (with discount) are cheaper on Renderosity than they would have been in the Daz store. Plus there's the reward points...

Sure, the Daz store is absolutely huge compared to Renderosity's store, but Renderosity does allow more risque content, which a few of us here probably make use of regularly. And some of the Renderosity vendors do not have presences in the Daz3D store...

Then there's Renderotica, but I don't have a lot of experience with Renderotica sales, so I won't comment on those.

Other Places for Freebies!!!!

As for freebies, yeah there are a number of these out there, plus you can often import .obj's and such and use those, assuming that you don't mind assigning new textures to them as needed.

A couple of places to check for some interesting freebies:

(check freebies section)
(links to a bunch of freebies from around the web).

On these freebies, definitely check the usage rights. Some are personal use only, others allow commercial or unlimited usage.

Also, for HDRI maps...

This site has a bunch of 3d sphere environments that also provide suitable lighting in your scene, at least for Iray anyways, not sure how they behave in 3Delight). The site does like donations, but the HDRIs can be grabbed for free.

I'm sure there are other sources for 'legit' free assets, but this should be a good place to start. Google can also be very helpful when trying to track down free 3d models and such.

xht_002

Sep 25, 2018
its easier to make your own rooms and buildings, some of the ones on daz3d store, hog your ram with all the wasted polygons being used, and buy small assets to fill them up, and remove some polys in hexagon or blender etc

save polygon numbers by using bump mapping instead, unless the engine is using direct x 12, then tessellation will do the same as bump mapping, but that hogs your cpu

Breinex

Apr 30, 2017
So, basically, people have three options, right? You either play by the rules and buy stuff, you get on the darkside and use the black flag or you get the free stuff and you modify it. Am I right?

xht_002

Sep 25, 2018
So, basically, people have three options, right? You either play by the rules and buy stuff, you get on the darkside and use the black flag or you get the free stuff and you modify it. Am I right?
you will need to modify most of it anyway unless you have a 16 core threadripper CPU with 64GB of RAM and atleast 2x 1080ti in SLI, everything adds up, if you want to render with iray and fancy lighting, if you don't have enough RAM left, daz will quickly crash

but then thats if you want to use genisis 8 for more polygons on models, with all the small detail of veins etc through morphs

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
I've been managing just fine with my 1080s, that only have 8 GB of VRAM (and that Windows 10 limits me to 6.4 GB, stupid VRAM tax). Keep in mind that, with a couple of exceptions, VRAM doesn't 'stack' if you have multiple Iray capable cards, as each card needs to hold the entire scene in it's own VRAM. The benefit to multiple cards is faster renders, not larger scenes.

Of course, I do have to watch the people count, and do render in multiple passes every now and then. Usually, though, that happens whether or not there's a fairly complex background going on, although said background can drop my character count on a render pass by 1 or 2 peeps...

4-5 characters in the same scene was pretty much my limit due to VRAM limitations with my customized version of in my crossover comic.

Sure, you can build your own rooms, but a LOT of people use the premade stuff. Like the stuff that Ironman 13 has done, that you see in a lot of games.

Of course, I tend to not use many Genesis 8 models, so I can't speak to how much more research intensive G8 models are. There's always scene optimizer to help reduce texture sizes though if this becomes an issue. It helps a little bit.

Slower to render, maybe. But yeah I wouldn't go making blanket statements about what is or isn't possible, especially when we have examples in numerous games of people using premade building assets in games.

xht_002

Sep 25, 2018
I've been managing just fine with my 1080s, that only have 8 GB of VRAM (and that Windows 10 limits me to 6.4 GB, stupid VRAM tax). Keep in mind that, with a couple of exceptions, VRAM doesn't 'stack' if you have multiple Iray capable cards, as each card needs to hold the entire scene in it's own VRAM. The benefit to multiple cards is faster renders, not larger scenes.

Sure, you can build your own rooms, but a LOT of people use the premade stuff. Like the stuff that Ironman 13 has done, that you see in a lot of games.

Of course, I tend to not use many Genesis 8 models, so I can't speak to how much more research intensive G8 models are. There's always scene optimizer to help reduce texture sizes though if this becomes an issue. It helps a little bit.

Slower to render, maybe. But yeah I wouldn't go making blanket statements about what is or isn't possible, especially when we have examples in numerous games of people using premade building assets in games.
most games use genisis 3 which will run on laptop and look kind of flat and rubbish like a playstation game, but if you want todo a game with renders like timestamps : then you need a real PC and genisis 8

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
most games use genisis 3 which will run on laptop and look kind of flat and rubbish like a playstation game, but if you want todo a game with renders like timestamps : then you need a real PC and genisis 8
I'll have to respectfully disagree there. I'm not seeing THAT much of a jump in visual quality with Genesis 8 characters. Also, there's to help reduce Genesis 8 character overhead, while maybe enhancing visual quality (subjective), although that only covers a few characters at this time.

But beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and everyone has their preferences. And I do render Genesis 8 characters alongside older generation characters every now and then, and no one has called me out on that. For me, it's always been about the story that the render tells, not winning render contests.

Also, you do have a range of quality amongst models in any given generation. Some Genesis 3 models look absolutely spectacular, while some Genesis 8 models look like crap. Genesis 8 doesn't automatically guarantee quality, although among the 'best' models I'm sure there's a bit of visual improvement between generations.

xht_002

Sep 25, 2018
I'll have to respectfully disagree there. I'm not seeing THAT much of a jump in visual quality with Genesis 8 characters. Also, there's to help reduce Genesis 8 character overhead, although that only covers a few characters at this time.

But beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and everyone has their preferences. And I do render Genesis 8 characters alongside older generation characters every now and then, and no one has called me out on that. For me, it's always been about the story that the render tells, not winning render contests.

Also, you do have a range of quality amongst models in any given generation. Some Genesis 3 models look absolutely spectacular, while some Genesis 8 models look like crap. Genesis 8 doesn't automatically guarantee quality, although among the 'best' models I'm sure there's a bit of visual improvement between generations.
morphs use polygon's, while bump mapping uses the diffuse layer, how light reacts to a polygon and mesh is all john carmack, and alot worse when you want photorealistic rendering using liquid fx and small detail on body parts

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
In any case, this thread (see thread title) is about the cost of assets, so the discussion should stay focused on that. Also, one should keep in mind the time investment in building your own assets vs. working with existing ones. Existing assets can be real timesavers, within hardware constraints of course!

As they say, time is money, after all!

There are times when you want to focus on building your own assets, and there are times when that time is better spent moving the story forward. It helps to be mindful of both when working on a project.

Also, budget can be a huge motivator. If it's limited, that's a great time to look at building your own rooms and such, or in some cases at modifying existing freebies to meet your needs. Characters can also fall under this rule. People like to see unique characters, but only if they are well done.

This is a major reason why existing Daz characters (and assets) get used a lot - because they are already compelling to the author of the game/story, are the characters that best represent what the author wishes to convey in that instance, AND won't require the author to spend a lot of time trying to dial in a character (or create a new asset), and also maybe have to create some texture maps in the process - I.E. you already found the character (or asset) you want, so voila! That's time you can spend doing something else, to help get your story ready for prime time sooner.

In either case, some people simply won't have the 'knack' for building their own assets, or making a character or environment look good, so they may be better off working with existing assets, with maybe minor adjustments. For others, who do have the knack for such things, and that are willing to budget the time to make their own stuff, well you go talented peeps!

At the end of the day, if the story is a good one, and if the gameplay elements aren't friggin' annoying, that's what keeps me interested in a game. The renders can be absolutely gorgeous, but if the story sucks or is otherwise uninteresting to me, or to a lesser extent if the interface/game structure is a major pain, yeah I'm gonna call it a day with that game. Alternatively, if the renders are so so but the story is compelling, I'm more likely to stick around and see a story through to it's completion.

So, back on topic, keep in mind that making good use of your time, within your existing skillset, can be just as important as the size of your cash budget, especially if you are on a schedule. It's a balancing act.

Food for thought.

xht_002

Sep 25, 2018
my point of making your own rooms still stands if time is money, its alot easier to mod a small asset and tweak some textures if needed, then a whole building, which in turn will lower the time needed to render a photorealistic image where you can balance between small details needed and background area's which use bump mapping

xht_002

Sep 25, 2018
you can try for building rooms, its CAD and free but exports to obj

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
my point of making your own rooms still stands if time is money, its alot easier to mod a small asset and tweak some textures if needed, then a whole building, which in turn will lower the time needed to render a photorealistic image where you can balance between small details needed and background area's which use bump mapping
A number of the more popular pre-built assets (not all of them) allow you to just load what you need room wise, or to hide stuff that's not in view. Others can be a pain in this regard (when stuff is not separated by rooms, etc.), but again, for assets that are set up like this, yeah a real timesaver, and you don't have to spend a lot of time hunting down furniture, picture frames, lamps, etc. to drop into your scene.

With others, yeah you can use the geometry editor to hide what you don't need, but that's a bit more involved of a process, and is crossing into the 'which is faster in this case' territory. And again, it comes down to which set-piece will best convey what you are trying to say at that point in the story with the background, etc., within hardware constraints of course!

My experience has been that, with the majority of the 'prebuilt' environments that I use, that the rendering overhead mainly comes from the character models, not from the buildings. I.E. the characters without building/room in background (but with essentially the same lighting orientation setup) can often take nearly as much time to render as those same characters inside the room/building in a number of instances, especially when dealing with multiple

I do occasionally need to resort to the 'superimpose character over background image/render in post' method here when I need to shoehorn multiple characters into my 6.4 GB of vram (perhaps with multiple passes), hence my experience with trying 'both' in a situation. This will depend on the complexity of the existing background.

If the existing setpieces have a LOT going on, though, yeah they can contribute significantly to overhead, so this ends up being a case by case basis. See Airport Island for a 'high usage' case... it does look gorgeous though!

Note that most of the games in the 'popular games' section of this forum, as well as other popular games here, make use of a number of pre-existing environment/room/building assets. Including a number of the top earners (Mr. Dots, Lewdlab, Dark Silver, the list goes on and on...). And they often do dozens upon dozens of renders in these environments, not just a few.characters. Even when they were just starting out with lower end computers, at which point they didn't have huge budgets for hardware upgrades as of yet...

Also, how much time your characters are going to spend in a given room, etc. is also a factor. If you are only planning on a small handful of renders there, spending a lot of time trying to set everything up to drop the render times by say 25% may not be worth the effort, as you just spent more time building the scene than what you might save in render times. But if your characters are there a lot, yeah that might be a good time to look at rendering overhead, and finding things you can do to 'optimize' that scene, be it simplifying the walls of the room or whatever.

Example: Your characters are going to the bowling alley. They won't be going to the bowling alley again after that, so is it REALLY worth trying to build your own bowling alley just for that one scene?

My point still stands as well, it just comes down to what works best for a given person in a situation.

xht_002

Sep 25, 2018
A number of the more popular pre-built assets (not all of them) allow you to just load what you need room wise, or to hide stuff that's not in view. Others can be a pain in this regard (when stuff is not separated by rooms, etc.), but again, for assets that are set up like this, yeah a real timesaver, and you don't have to spend a lot of time hunting down furniture, picture frames, lamps, etc. to drop into your scene.

With others, yeah you can use the geometry editor to hide what you don't need, but that's a bit more involved of a process, and is crossing into the 'which is faster in this case' territory. And again, it comes down to which set-piece will best convey what you are trying to say at that point in the story with the background, etc., within hardware constraints of course!

My experience has been that, with the majority of the 'prebuilt' environments that I use, that the rendering overhead mainly comes from the character models, not from the buildings. I.E. the characters without building/room in background (but with essentially the same lighting orientation setup) can often take nearly as much time to render as those same characters inside the room/building in a number of instances, especially when dealing with multiple

I do occasionally need to resort to the 'superimpose character over background image/render in post' method here when I need to shoehorn multiple characters into my 6.4 GB of vram (perhaps with multiple passes), hence my experience with trying 'both' in a situation. This will depend on the complexity of the existing background.

If the existing setpieces have a LOT going on, though, yeah they can contribute significantly to overhead, so this ends up being a case by case basis. See Airport Island for a 'high usage' case... it does look gorgeous though!

Note that most of the games in the 'popular games' section of this forum, as well as other popular games here, make use of a number of pre-existing environment/room/building assets. Including a number of the top earners (Mr. Dots, Lewdlab, Dark Silver, the list goes on and on...). And they often do dozens upon dozens of renders in these environments, not just a few.characters. Even when they were just starting out with lower end computers, at which point they didn't have huge budgets for hardware upgrades as of yet...

Also, how much time your characters are going to spend in a given room, etc. is also a factor. If you are only planning on a small handful of renders there, spending a lot of time trying to set everything up to drop the render times by say 25% may not be worth the effort, as you just spent more time building the scene than what you might save in render times. But if your characters are there a lot, yeah that might be a good time to look at rendering overhead, and finding things you can do to 'optimize' that scene, be it simplifying the walls of the room or whatever.

Example: Your characters are going to the bowling alley. They won't be going to the bowling alley again after that, so is it REALLY worth trying to build your own bowling alley just for that one scene?

My point still stands as well, it just comes down to what works best for a given person in a situation.
i know that about rooms, but you don't need true 3d power sockets, skirting boards, windows and other background detail you can just use bump mapping on

bolts will even be true 3d on stair cases if you buy a asset from a store

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
i know that about rooms, but you don't need true 3d power sockets, skirting boards, windows and other background detail you can just use bump mapping on

bolts will even be true 3d on stair cases if you buy a asset from a store
Yeah, whatever man. If you want to chase minor details, go for it. Most people have been rendering just fine while ignoring those minor details, but if you are pressed for scene memory or are looking at particularly long renders, yeah then that might be worth looking into...

Plus, some people may notice those minor details if they are in view, and appreciate the extra effort...

you will need to modify most of it anyway unless you have a 16 core threadripper CPU with 64GB of RAM and atleast 2x 1080ti in SLI, everything adds up, if you want to render with iray and fancy lighting, if you don't have enough RAM left, daz will quickly crash

but then thats if you want to use genisis 8 for more polygons on models, with all the small detail of veins etc through morphs
This is the other point that you raised, that which I have a major bone to pick. Most of the people that share art renders on this forum, or that are starting out with new games, aren't rendering with Threadrippers, and certainly don't have multiple GPUs, especially not dual 1080 Tis or better.

Plus, with Iray, that Threadripper won't do you much good in the first place, because the CPU contributes very little to reducing render times. See the Daz Iray Benchmarks thread and you'll see that if the GPU is involved, CPU + GPU generally only shaves a few seconds off of your render time. A second Nvidia video card of similar make will essentially halve your render times, hence why it's suggested to spend the extra cash on the second card instead, rather than a faster/better CPU. Unless your CPU is ancient...

If you DO go CPU only, then having extra cores will help, but the goal with Iray is to use the GPU whenever possible, and not need to fall back on CPU only in the first place.

The one point where Threadripper really shines is those extra PCIe lanes (60+ lanes, oh yeah baby!), but most people that are just starting out certainly can't afford quad GPU systems in the first place, so their 'lowly' system with say a GTX 1060 or 1070 will do them just fine, and in fact they do manage just fine. They just need to work within their limitations...

In short, the GPU has always where your 'bang for buck' has been as far as Iray is concerned. 3Delight is another story, but most people do Iray these days when using Daz. That's not to say that 3Delight doesn't have a fan base, and in fact there are those that definitely prefer it over Iray, but that's a discussion for another thread...

As far as Threadrippers and 1080 Ti's or better, I certainly don't have either, but it hasn't stopped me from doing stuff. I do have dual 1080's, but just a 'regular' Intel processor, so not anything special CPU wise. But even if I just had one 1080, I'd still manage just fine (and there are times when I render with just one, leaving the other GPU to do other stuff). Most of my time is spent on setting things up the next scene anyways, so the time saved with 2 GPUs isn't all that significant in a number of usage cases... except when I'm doing back to back renders with minor changes between renders (facial expressions, etc.).

You can render with lower end hardware, and in fact many do exactly this, both here and on the Daz forum. Even if your Nvidia graphic card only has 4-6 GB of VRAM, yeah it requires a more conscious attention to resources, but it's not impossible to render under these conditions. It's just slower is all...

And, if you aren't doing Iray (i.e. 3Delight) well the GPU isn't all that important in the first place... some external programs can make use of other GPUs apparently, if you export your Daz scenes to them, but that's not something I mess with currently, so I'll leave that for others to comment on.

When I first learned Daz, it was on a tiny laptop with no Nvidia card. Sure, renders were slow, but not impossible. Now, I wouldn't recommend such a setup if you can afford better, or have better, but my point is that it still all comes down to time management.

In situations when my renders are going to take some time, I'll often have two instances of Daz open, and do some work on setting up the next render while the current one is baking. Also, a number of people will set up batch renders to run at night, when their computer is otherwise not doing anything.

In short, I generally don't need to modify much at all, at least not in the way you describe. I'm generally looking at modifying the layout of rooms, etc., not at trying to squeeze a scene down to it's bare minimum size. Life is too short to chase niggling details if your system can render them just fine anyways. But again, if you are constrained for size, yeah at that point I might decide to get creative and swap out textures, etc. That doesn't happen often, though, and most people I know that use the 'prebuilt' assets aren't sweating those minor details either.

There are times when one will need to 'ultra-optimize' to squeeze stuff into GPU memory, but 90% of the time I simply don't have the need to do this.

As for the free room/building assets that you may find on ShareCG, etc, generally they don't have that level of detail in the first place, but some do...

So your point is well taken if you are constrained on GPU memory, but what you described (requiring an ultra-high end system just to render say an Ironman13 room asset with two characters), well that is simply is not the case. Slower, maybe, but people do it all the time.

YOU may not like it, and may feel the need to chase down every minor detail as far as reducing texture sizes, but my experience has been most people won't bother if they don't need to, and they don't need to. So if you want to teach people your tricks, you probably should start a new thread for that, because this discussion has REALLY gotten off topic.

xht_002

Sep 25, 2018
the power of graphic's cards only matter if you are using iray optimized assets, like textures and lighting, as iray is nividia's own renderer and uses all the cuda cores on nvidia cards todo the floating point math for light vectors and shadowing on textures, while openCL will try todo the same thing with AMD cards, which needs a vega card to work correctly as the stream processor's are open to directx 12 and vulkan open API's, while AMD also have a openCL to cuda bridge on the dev site to convert cuda code to openCL stream processor code

if the video works, you can try to understand this john carmack on the principles of lighting and rendering which is on youtube