3D-Daz Daz3d Art - Show Us Your DazSkill

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes

seamanq

Game Developer
Aug 28, 2018
I tried to keep it strictly Iray but I obviously didn't create the room, so that's possible of course.
You can set all of the surface shaders to iRay Uber Base, and that might help. Go to surfaces, select all surfaces, then go to iRay shader presets and select Uber Base. That should at least set the shaders to iRay and improve quality, as well as potentially speed things up.

DownTheDrain

Donor
Aug 25, 2017
You can set all of the surface shaders to iRay Uber Base, and that might help. Go to surfaces, select all surfaces, then go to iRay shader presets and select Uber Base. That should at least set the shaders to iRay and improve quality, as well as potentially speed things up.
Good to know, thanks.
I'll give that a try in the next scene I build since I'm sick and tired of that redhead on the couch now and refuse to ever render her again.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
As for ghost lights, I heard they were the go-to for weaker gpus but I have yet to do anything useful with them.
Not really, you can use a lot other lights too, but I would stay away from uber environment light with your gpu

seamanq

Game Developer
Aug 28, 2018
Good to know, thanks.
I'll give that a try in the next scene I build since I'm sick and tired of that redhead on the couch now and refuse to ever render her again.
I know the feeling. I save wicked renders like that for overnight rendering while I sleep.

is one of those that I let render over night, because low light situations can cause things to render VERY slowly in Daz 3D. That may be an idea for you on challenging scenes -- letting them run overnight.

DownTheDrain

Donor
Aug 25, 2017
Not really, you can use a lot other lights too, but I would stay away from uber environment light with your gpu
The only time I ever used an uber environment light was in one of the Getting Started tutorials and I already forgot how to create them, so staying away should be quite easy unless DAZ somehow applies them by default (like it constantly resets my fucking render settings).

DownTheDrain

Donor
Aug 25, 2017
I know the feeling. I save wicked renders like that for overnight rendering while I sleep.

is one of those that I let render over night, because low light situations can cause things to render VERY slowly in Daz 3D. That may be an idea for you on challenging scenes -- letting them run overnight.
I'd rather not let a laptop render overnight in case shit gets too hot for whatever reason.
If I ever try a night scene I guess I'll have to try to render the room and the models separately and then frankenstein them together in photoshop or some such.

edit:
And I'm doubleposting. Sorry mods.

Ennoch

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Oct 10, 2017
@DownTheDrain Did i get it right that you render using the VRAM only with a 1GB card? Yes, it would take 3-4 hours. Suprised it doesn't just gives up after a while.

seamanq

Game Developer
Aug 28, 2018
I'd rather not let a laptop render overnight in case shit gets too hot for whatever reason.
If I ever try a night scene I guess I'll have to try to render the room and the models separately and then frankenstein them together in photoshop or some such.

edit:
And I'm doubleposting. Sorry mods.
When I was using my laptop to do stuff overnight, I had a stand that had air under it, and also had a laptop base with fans built in to pull heat from the bottom of the laptop. I never had heat problems with that situation. The only case where there would be a problem is if an internal fan broke down, but you'd be in trouble with that whether you were awake or not. It's your call, but for some really long renders, overnight rendering is one of the few options that is viable, especially if you are doing production (like making a game and needing to meet a deadline).

DownTheDrain

Donor
Aug 25, 2017
@DownTheDrain Did i get it right that you render using the VRAM only with a 1GB card? Yes, it would take 3-4 hours. Suprised it doesn't just gives up after a while.
Nope, my card has 4 GB, or rather 3.5 available since Win10 reserves about half a gig for whatever reason.
@Snarkfu is the guy running a 1 GB 860m, but unlike me he knows what he's doing and gets stuff done much faster.

Ennoch

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Oct 10, 2017
@Snarkfu is the guy running a 1 GB 860m, but unlike me he knows what he's doing and gets stuff done much faster.
Interesting! Keep doing fighting chicks and yes, no more freckled redhead over the sofa please :D

Snarkfu

Mar 7, 2017
I did load the entire scene.
It was just a single (somewhat large) room and since I have no idea about lightning I didn't want to mess with anything.

Apparently I can't attach a .duf here ("The uploaded file does not have an allowed extension.")...

edit:
Let's see if a 7z works.
I'm getting some strange results after some quick testing, without doing an entire render of the scene I'd guess it'd take about 5 hours to complete, even stripping out the reflective surfaces and the ceiling light it'd take about 4, I can render similar set ups in other rooms far quicker than that which suggest something weird is going on.

The character itself rendered in about 10 minutes for me which is odd, I had to use the base material rather than your custom but a five minute gap is unusual given your card is a generation ahead of mine and my scene rendering is slower as you'd expect.

Only suggestions I've got is strip out non-essential items and try other similar assets and see how they pan out, also make sure you're on gpu only, try enabling optix prime acceleration, double your render size and then let it run to 50% stop it and downsize by half.

I'll have another look tomorrow if I've got time and have a look at the different materials and stuff.

Nope, my card has 4 GB, or rather 3.5 available since Win10 reserves about half a gig for whatever reason.
You jinxed me :LOL:

Reactions: DownTheDrain

DownTheDrain

Donor
Aug 25, 2017
When I was using my laptop to do stuff overnight, I had a stand that had air under it, and also had a laptop base with fans built in to pull heat from the bottom of the laptop. I never had heat problems with that situation. The only case where there would be a problem is if an internal fan broke down, but you'd be in trouble with that whether you were awake or not. It's your call, but for some really long renders, overnight rendering is one of the few options that is viable, especially if you are doing production (like making a game and needing to meet a deadline).
I have a cheap coolpad thingy underneath but it's noisy and from what I can tell not very effective.
So far I haven't had heat problems with this laptop either, but it killed my previous laptop so I'm a bit cautious.

I'm getting some strange results, without doing an entire render of the scene I'd guess it'd take about 6 hours to complete, even stripping out the reflective surfaces and the ceiling light it'd take about 4, I can render similar set ups in other rooms far quicker than that which suggest something weird is going on.

The character itself rendered in about 10 minutes for me which is odd, I had to use the base material rather than your custom but a five minute gap is unusual given your card is a generation ahead of mine.

Only suggestion I've got is strip out non-essential items and try other similar assets and see how they pan out, also make sure you're on gpu only and try enabling optix prime acceleration, that helps in some cases.
Well, I appreciate you trying.
This was the second interior scene I ever did, so I obviously have no idea what might cause the issue.

Could you maybe link me to one of those similar setups that render faster so I can plop a character in and see what happens?

Snarkfu

Mar 7, 2017
I have a cheap coolpad thingy underneath but it's noisy and from what I can tell not very effective.
So far I haven't had heat problems with this laptop either, but it killed my previous laptop so I'm a bit cautious.

Well, I appreciate you trying.
This was the second interior scene I ever did, so I obviously have no idea what might cause the issue.

Could you maybe link me to one of those similar setups that render faster so I can plop a character in and see what happens?
Not really off the top of my head, I tend to build the bits of sets I need out of parts now instead of using wholesale assets.
If I were going for the shot you are I'd probably use and the couch from just stripping out any unecesarry bits.

I'm pretty sure I've used those two in combination before but I may have switched the materials in the environment asset so it may not be representative.

DownTheDrain

Donor
Aug 25, 2017
Not really off the top of my head, I tend to build the bits of sets I need out of parts now instead of using wholesale assets.
If I were going for the shot you are I'd probably use and the couch from just stripping out any unecesarry bits.

I'm pretty sure I've used those two in combination before but I may have switched the materials in the environment asset so it may not be representative.
Alright, thanks.
I think I'll try a simple basement room or prison cell or something equally spartan for now and see how that goes.

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes