3D-Daz Daz3d Art - Show Us Your DazSkill

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes

DownTheDrain

Donor
Aug 25, 2017
Looks like the environment scene is not really optimised and judging by the render itself, (it looks at least like if) you're using 3dlight and iray materials together.
I tried to keep it strictly Iray but I obviously didn't create the room, so that's possible of course.

Also, add more lights, it helps.
I can try.
Haven't really figured out how to place ghost lights properly (or at all really) but I'll see what I can do without breaking things.

Snarkfu

Mar 7, 2017
Look at the little box that comes up when you start a render, it should give you a rundown as it goes as to whether it's running on GPU or CPU, the only thing I can think of is to switch from "new window" to "direct to file" in your render settings, that stops it drawing to the screen as it renders though that really shouldn't make any difference (does make my computer more usable).

If your GPU is in use the only thins I can think of that would cause it to take that long are either something in the scene has an insane number of polys, like an order of magnitude more than it should, or your quality settings are off the charts.

Could you list the character and the room environment you used? If I've got them I'll see what render times I get.

LP83

Engaged Member
Oct 13, 2016
So many freckles :3
Ehm... the itch... yeah, let me see...
Oh yeah!
I remember when I was looking at the characters I have downloaded to make a character of my own, when I saw HER, I immediately went with it!
Still, so far, the model basically is unmodified from stock... I think I may have enlarged her boobs only

DownTheDrain

Donor
Aug 25, 2017
Could you list the character and the room environment you used? If I've got them I'll see what render times I get.
The character was (I think) either a basic G8 or a Victoria G8. I modified her body somewhat, did some minor stuff with Skin Builder and gave her NGV8 genitals and Miranda hair. I suppose I could upload her as a scene subset .duf if that helps.
The room is and I didn't change a thing about it.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Look at the little box that comes up when you start a render, it should give you a rundown as it goes as to whether it's running on GPU or CPU, the only thing I can think of is to switch from "new window" to "direct to file" in your render settings, that stops it drawing to the screen as it renders though that really shouldn't make any difference (does make my computer more usable).

If your GPU is in use the only thins I can think of that would cause it to take that long are either something in the scene has an insane number of polys, like an order of magnitude more than it should, or your quality settings are off the charts.

I had some assets of bookshelfs with books in them, added them to a scene and got about 8gb texture consumption only because of that. Whats worse is that it was only one of the bookshelfs that caused it. The creator used unique textures for every single book in it at 4k, but switched to a 1k texture and used it for all books on the other bookshelfs. After deleting the one bookshelf I got a memory consumption of 2gb or so.
So maybe its just one of the assets?

Snarkfu

Mar 7, 2017
The character was (I think) either a basic G8 or a Victoria G8. I modified her body somewhat, did some minor stuff with Skin Builder and gave her NGV8 genitals and Miranda hair. I suppose I could upload her as a scene subset .duf if that helps.
The room is and I didn't change a thing about it.
Yeah, throw it up as a .duf and I'll take a look.

Did you load the entire scene in?

DownTheDrain

Donor
Aug 25, 2017
I had some assets of bookshelfs with books in them, added them to a scene and got about 8gb texture consumption only because of that. Whats worse is that it was only one of the bookshelfs that caused it. The creator used unique textures for every single book in it at 4k, but switched to a 1k texture and used it for all books on the other bookshelfs. After deleting the one bookshelf I got a memory consumption of 2gb or so.
So maybe its just one of the assets?
Well, it wasn't a bookshelf since the room doesn't have any.
I intentionally stayed away from those since I tried to optimize a room with books in one of my first tries and ended up with a bunch of book titles nobody could read. Looked really bad.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
TeslaCorps stuff is usually really good optimised, but have a look for glass and reflective materials. They are gpu heavy.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Its an older render btw.

DownTheDrain

Donor
Aug 25, 2017
Yeah, throw it up as a .duf and I'll take a look.

Did you load the entire scene in?
I did load the entire scene.
It was just a single (somewhat large) room and since I have no idea about lightning I didn't want to mess with anything.

Apparently I can't attach a .duf here ("The uploaded file does not have an allowed extension.")...

edit:
Let's see if a 7z works.

DownTheDrain

Donor
Aug 25, 2017
TeslaCorps stuff is usually really good optimised, but have a look for glass and reflective materials. They are gpu heavy.

Its an older render btw.
That's a nice clean room.
I suppose I can try to remove the glass tables and see where that gets me.

How did you set up the lights in that scene if I may ask?

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
That's a nice clean room.
I suppose I can try to remove the glass tables and see where that gets me.

How did you set up the lights in that scene if I may ask?
I used an hdri and set it up so it shines directly into the room and the ceiling lights are actually from the iray ghost light kit (1 or 2), I used low values and reduced the size of the lamp itself

btw:
I don't have the required assets though^^

DownTheDrain

Donor
Aug 25, 2017
I used an hdri and set it up so it shines directly into the room and the ceiling lights are actually from the iray ghost light kit (1 or 2), I used low values and reduced the size of the lamp itself
I... understood some of that... I think.
Any links for a good lighting tutorial?

btw:
Heh, either that's missing assets or she turned into abstract art when I uploaded her.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
I... understood some of that... I think.
Any links for a good lighting tutorial?

Heh, either that's missing assets or she turned into abstract art when I uploaded her.
I don't know any good lighing tut, sorry, I googled it all myself ^^"
An HDRI is a background image with its own light "attached". You can find some free hdri's at and use them as "Dome" in your render settings.

might also be available here. To put it simply they are really usefull light sources ;)

DownTheDrain

Donor
Aug 25, 2017
I don't know any good lighing tut, sorry, I googled it all myself ^^"
An HDRI is a background image with its own light "attached". You can find some free hdri's at and use them as "Dome" in your render settings.

might also be available here. To put it simply they are really usefull light sources ;)
I do know what an HDRI is (after I had to google it when I first saw it mentioned) but thanks for the link, looks promising.
As for ghost lights, I heard they were the go-to for weaker gpus but I have yet to do anything useful with them.

LP83

Engaged Member
Oct 13, 2016
Reactions: kaboomer69
5.00 star(s) 12 Votes