3D-Daz Daz3d Art - Show Us Your DazSkill

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes

DownTheDrain

Donor
Aug 25, 2017
Check your material sizes, it doesn't matter how simple your room is if it's got loads of 8k textures in it!
I did, that's one of the reasons I picked that room. Nothing in there is bigger than 2048.
Obviously my hardware is rather weak, but I'm not doing large scenes with multiple models and smoke and water effects so I thought I'd be fine.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Tried my first renders in an actual environment and I already hate it.
On her own the girl rendered in like 15 minutes, in this pretty simple room it took 3 hours. :/

View attachment 231750
what @Snarkfu said + hide or delete the stuff that is not visible unless it trows visible shadows you want to be seen.
Every single object will add to the render time, even if it's not visible.

DownTheDrain

Donor
Aug 25, 2017
what @Snarkfu said + hide or delete the stuff that is not visible unless it trows visible shadows you want to be seen.
Every single object will add to the render time, even if it's not visible.
Yeah, guess I'll have to take out everything but the walls at this point.
Either that or invest in an external GPU.

DownTheDrain

Donor
Aug 25, 2017
I'm running an 860m with 1gig of vram and that looks like there's either something odd going on or an easy way for you to save some time, what was the resolution of your render?
1800x1440.
5:4 seemed the best format for a sitting girl.

Snarkfu

Mar 7, 2017
1800x1440.
That should not be taking three hours, I've rendered stuff more taxing than that in less time on worse hardware, the one directly before yours only took an hour and 45 minutes (though it was rendered at double res and scaled down) and that has two characters, more complicated surrounding geometry, darker lighting and higher resolution materials all of which add time.

I'm not sure what to suggest though, are you sure you're gpu is being used?

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
1800x1440.
Looks like the environment scene is not really optimised and judging by the render itself, (it looks at least like if) you're using 3dlight and iray materials together. Thats not a real problem in the most cases with good hardware and when done right not even noticable, but it also adds to the render time, slightly, but it does.
Also, add more lights, it helps.

Reactions: Enyos

DownTheDrain

Donor
Aug 25, 2017
That should not be taking three hours, I've rendered stuff more taxing than that in less time on worse hardware, the one directly before yours only took an hour and 45 minutes (though it was rendered at double res and scaled down) and that has two characters, more complicated surrounding geometry, darker lighting and higher resolution materials all of which add time.

I'm not sure what to suggest though, are you sure you're gpu is being used?
The NVIDIA GPU activity thingy says that dazstudio is using it and the advanced render settings list my GPU as well.
I'm only using the GPU to render since activating the CPU kinda locks the laptop down for however long the process takes.

I also reduced everything to 2k with Scene Optimizer and removed translucency from the model. If you have any advice beyond that to speed things up I'd gladly take your advice.

5.00 star(s) 12 Votes