Daz Studio 4.11 Beta Users: Your experience so far...

OhWee

Modder
Jun 17, 2017
It's been almost 3 months since Daz last updated the beta for 4.11 (.236 was 9 October)... on the one hand, that could mean we should expect an update soon, but on the other hand, with the issues being reported, and the fact that it's been 'sitting' for 3 months... doesn't inspire confidence.

f95zoneuser463

Game Developer
Aug 14, 2017
It has been well documented that Windows 10 limits the amount of VRAM that any single program to around 82% of the total VRAM available (90% of 90%).
Now that you wrote that I remember running into this too. I noticed that when I started with a GTX 760 with only 2 GB. I had to optimize every scene to squeeze it into the VRAM. I even remember reading about on ... hmm I believe it was a Microsoft support site. I forgot about this ever since I upgrade to a GTX 1070 8 GB. Damn that restriction is f*cked up. As always the consumer does not really have a choice ... except maybe the Windows 7 downgrade :mad:.

As for why I'm forced to upgrade right now, well my dual 1080 laptop is dead/mostly dead.
I see. That's unfortunate. I'd love a Threadripper too ... but I don't have that kind of money. I'm still torturing an overclocked 6 year old i7-2600K. I keep all my drives AES encrypted with VeraCrypt. If I had give the system to a manufacturer they would probably think they are empty and format them *ahh nooo!* ;).

... I can choose to NOT use the denoiser though, that is an option, right?
Yes. The denoiser is disabled by default.

Dec 26, 2018
It's been almost 3 months since Daz last updated the beta for 4.11 (.236 was 9 October)... on the one hand, that could mean we should expect an update soon, but on the other hand, with the issues being reported, and the fact that it's been 'sitting' for 3 months... doesn't inspire confidence.
I have been using beta this whole time. I haven't really encountered any "Game breaking" bugs.

Krosos

Dec 1, 2018
You make me curious about your visual end results :)

also the publishing build got several changes since october only the public beta didn't moved along, but yeah 231/236 are pretty stable and 236 could be easily released now as a stable public build.

Dec 26, 2018
You make me curious about your visual end results :)

also the publishing build got several changes since october only the public beta didn't moved along, but yeah 231/236 are pretty stable and 236 could be easily released now as a stable public build.
It could be released as a stable version, but I think they are waiting for more things to update. But it's not like anybody can't use 4.11. And also that Memory optimization was bugged, not 100% sure tho, in 4.10 when you had figures far from Dome center in Iray.

OhWee

Modder
Jun 17, 2017
Thanks y'all for your input!

I decided not to risk it, and sip the cool aid instead. I grabbed a 1080 Ti after agonizing over whether I'd 'just' go with a 1070 or not. This particular 1080 Ti is only 211mm long, so it'll be a good fit for the ML08 case I'm using for the SFF build.

This will be by far the most expensive Blu Ray player I've ever bought (well, built)... this system is slotted to become part of my entertainment system later this year, once Threadripper 3 drops. Fortunately, I already have the blu ray player itself (scavenged from my 'bricked' laptop), but the other stuff I ordered (case, PS, CPU, etc.) has put me in the poor house for the next few months.

I'll probably use it with the entertainment center in the meantime, but for now it's primary purpose is rendering.

I wish Sponsorion or Subscribestar would get things rolling (again for SS). I suppose I could do Buy me a Coffee, but it seems that people don't make a lot of money with that service, so it might not be worth the trouble. Patreon is just out for me, since I like to live on the edge with my renders. I don't like the idea of them 'reviewing' my artistic endeavors regularly and holding pledge money hostage if they don't like something. No loli for me, but yeah the bestiality/monster sex...

MaxCarna

Game Developer
Jun 13, 2017
I decided not to risk it, and sip the cool aid instead
You probably already know that Nvidia drivers 418.* made RTX cards stop working even on Daz 4.11, we will be stucked on 417.7 until the new Iray (and probably Daz) version came out. 418 is the first drive that use the tensor cores, this makes Daz experience a GPU error and fall back to cpu rendering.

I had to use Beta when I got my first 1070, I usually don't like beta versions because of some unexpected behaviours. What I experienced so far with 4.11 (using one RTX 2080 ti):

- The same scene, no changes at all, rendered on 4.10 and 4.11 resulted in different light results. Not a huge thing, but I don't like this behaviour:

- The image start to come out much faster than 4.10 (I tested this behaviour with GTX 1070), from 5 minutes to 1. However the interactions after that are slower. This behaviour is good for me, because I assemble the scene, make a test render and save it for batch render latter.

- All other Daz's resources working fine, however there are several plugins not accessible on 4.11: decimator, keymate & graphmate...

About the card, I was in a hurry to move my old 1070s cards to another computer. I was planning to get two 1080ti exactly when 20xx were launched and surprisingly 1080's price rised. When I saw that RTX were already working on Daz 4.11 and some benchmarks showing renders almost at the half of 1080ti 's time, I decided to risk, and get one 2080ti instead of two 1080ti. After a long and sad soup opera, I ended up with a Galax Dual OC, stable for two weeks now. Even with their vapor chamber solution, the temperature are much higher than the 1070s. Even with fans fixed at 90% and 5 cabinet fans, the temper remained on the default target 85ยบ, almost during all the render process.

I was looking back, the 10xx cards were launched on may 2016, and Daz public version that supported them came out in february, 2017. Making a very optimistic comparison, that they will reproduce the same delay, as 20xx cards were launched on september, 2018, we won't see this version until june. Add to that, there is a discussion about Optix / Optix prime that make seems that this time the problem will be more complex.

OhWee

Modder
Jun 17, 2017
Long story, but my new rendering system is not connected to the internet, and I'm not planning to connect it in the near future. I settled for the 'default' Nvidia drivers that came with the 1080 Ti I ended picking up.

So my Daz install works fine, but it's not the new beta version. I'm installing products manually, which is a bit more of a pain, but still works. Note that you can put the Daz packages inside of the folder that DIM reads, and still have DIM install them, without an internet connection. The laptop I'm using right now to type this is how I'm acquiring the packages.

If PostgreSQL ever fails (it's failed on me a couple of times in the past), then I might have to rethink that strategy, but so far no issues. Knock on wood.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.