[DAZ] Scene optimization with instances

f95zoneuser463

Game Developer
Aug 14, 2017
The following scene in DAZ: Beach with 30-40 duplicated objects like palm-trees.

I've never bothered to learn more about DAZ node instances until today.
The way I understand instancing works is by referencing other objects instead of duplicating them ... which then again should help to not waste tons of memory.

I've googled this all day but the documentation on this topic seems bad (like with so many DAZ stuff). Here is what I found out:

-to be able to create an instance of an object it must be in the scene *doh*
-to create a single instance select the object and go to Create > New Node Instance ...
-to create a bunch of instances select the object and got to Create > New Node Instances ... > and enter the amount in the popup-window, it will create a new group with the instances spread out in the scene, I guess the placement depends on the bounding-box?
-instances are only scaleable, exactly what I need to give the palm-trees some variation

That's all very nice and all but how can I convert already duplicated objects into instances and keep their exact position in the scene? I don't want to go manually over 30-40 objects just replacing them with instances and copy the exact same position, rotation and scale. Keeping the instances/objects at the exact same location is important. There must be a better way to do this.

Edit:
I could not find a way to convert the already existing object and tried to do it manually, but even that caused problems. When I created an instance and copied Loc/Rot/Scale to it, it would not match ... even with no parents ... that doesn't make sense to me.
End of the story: I deleted all object and re-created the scene with instances. Since I already had renders done based on the old scene ... 1 day of render-time wasted because the positions no longer matched.:mad:

At least the memory consumption is much better. I did not pay attention to other numbers but the texture memory with duplicated objects was 5.2 GB. That is down to 980 MB now.

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
I am not an expert regarding DAZ or instances but if they are in a group that means you can manipulate the group which will in turn manipulate everything inside the group.

I find using primitives helps in reducing render times and these you can group as well