DAZ doesn't use my GPU to render with Iray

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
No, it prevents Daz from always using the CPU (alongside the GPU), it will still fall back, even when unchecked, if the GPU runs out of vram ;)
Hmm. That's never happened to me. Every time I've went over the VRAM limit (10GB in my case) I just get black screen on render, and I tend to keep a close eye on my CPU temps/usage while rendering (as my AIO's been finnicky lately.). There's not a whole lot saying it's being used (20% usage, with Daz and any combination of Edge/Spotify/Discord/etc. (Also forgot to menion earlier that I also have 'allow CPU fallback' unchecked, as TheDevian, again, mentioned.)

If that's the case, though, I stand corrected. Wasn't aware.

Reactions: TheDevian

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
In my experience, with it all unchecked, it will just not render.
Hmm. That's never happened to me. Every time I've went over the VRAM limit (10GB in my case) I just get black screen on render, and I tend to keep a close eye on my CPU temps/usage while rendering (as my AIO's been finnicky lately.). There's not a whole lot saying it's being used (20% usage, with Daz and any combination of Edge/Spotify/Discord/etc. (Also forgot to menion earlier that I also have 'allow CPU fallback' unchecked, as TheDevian, again, mentioned.)

If that's the case, though, I stand corrected. Wasn't aware.
Ah, yes, I didn't see that mentioned, I thought you were only talking about the upper checkboxes, not the lower three. Of course, if fallback is disabled, it won't fall back :LOL:

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Ah, yes, I didn't see that mentioned, I thought you were only talking about the upper checkboxes, not the lower three. Of course, if fallback is disabled, it won't fall back :LOL:
Yeah, that was my bad.

Spin256

Mothers and Daughters
Game Developer
Dec 16, 2019
I do have scene optimizer, didn't use it though. I am doing some test renders for a VN I'm working on and just through some stuff together, without too much thought of optimization. I've been CPU rendering for quite a while and memory hasn't been an issue, though rendering this scene even with CPU rendering is probably pushing the boundary's a little.

View attachment 1790278

I'm thinking I may split the render into parts, ie. render the figures, background and debris field separately. My thinking is that the GPU should spit them out quickly and it gives me more lighting flexibility.

Have you used instancing for the debris field? It will save vram.

Spin256

Mothers and Daughters
Game Developer
Dec 16, 2019
No the debris field I'm using is actually a single asset
That is probably my biggest complaint about daz vendors. The amount of time I spend chopping an asset up into usable pieces annoys the hell out of me.

I just want to open a kitchen cupboard, move the fridge or even open the french doors. Why make the whole thing one model? I try to stay away from the vendors that do it.

Last edited:

DogzBallz

Sep 30, 2021
That is probably my biggest complaint about daz vendors. The amount of time I spend chopping an asset up into unable pieces annoys the hell out of me.

I just want to open a kitchen cupboard, move the fridge or even open the french doors. Why make the whole thing one model? I try to stay away from the vendors that do it.
It took me a bit of time before I even realized you could edit geometry.