DAZ doesn't use my GPU to render with Iray

Jackboo1

Aug 26, 2017
I just realized that many others had this issue as well. My GPU, GTX 1080, isn't used when I'm rendering with Iray.... wtf is this exactly, somebody knows? lol

Even with Optix Prime acceleration enable Daz don't use my gpu to render

Reactions: Namco15

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
I had this problem. In Render settings Advance (i think) tab only have GPU selected and take of the Optimatix or such tick mark also. That is the key. You'll notice no more CPU usage but jsut GPU.
Also use the Performance tab in your Task Manger better way of seeing what is going on.

DeafPerv

Game Developer
Jan 14, 2018
Even if only gpu is selected, at one point your cpu may start rendering. That's due your gpu memory being full.
At that point you either continue with cpu or close Daz and restart

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
My DAZ crashed a few too many times when i had my CPU selected ass well. Since i only use GPU it's fine. Saying that with my old GTX1060 3GB card i had to have my CPU on. WIth new GTX1060 6GB i dont.

Even if only gpu is selected, at one point your cpu may start rendering. That's due your gpu memory being full.
At that point you either continue with cpu or close Daz and restart

Aeilion

Jun 14, 2017
Don't look at task manager to know if your GPU is used because you will not see anything, unless you go directly to the use of cuda cores.

You can use either an external program like GPU-Z or look directly into your daz3d logs. For the logs you go in help => troubleshooting => view log file.
You go all the way down and then you go up to the line where is "rendering ...". Up to the top you normally have a line with this "rendering with X devices" and below the used devices.

But if not... look if your gpu is selected, as people have said above.

Jackboo1

Aug 26, 2017
@Aeilion yeah, I was about to post about it. That gpu use stats showing on task manager on W10 is bugged as shit. I'm using HWMonitor now.

But I did what @MrKnobb said and I've noticed a strong decrease on render times (more gpu power on the line).. and not only that, the cpu use is way down as well. Thanks for this tip buddy.

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
What does the OptiX Prime do? I think I left it on and still have problems and once i un-ticked it things sped up. Will switch on tonight and see if it helps or slows down the render process.

Now you need to tick the OptiX Prime Acceleration box on in advanced settings
Also, Make sure you have the latest Nvidia driver fully installed with everything. If you use the default driver windows gives it does not install CUDA

Thundorn

Dec 31, 2017
OptiX is buggy. On my rig it forces the render onto CPU instead of using the GPU and takes Much longer. Might not be that way with every card but on mine it is the case

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
Exactly what happened when i left it on...hence why i switched it off. For my 3GB card is helped abit, but not with 6GB card.

OptiX is buggy. On my rig it forces the render onto CPU instead of using the GPU and takes Much longer. Might not be that way with every card but on mine it is the case

Reactions: Thundorn

gamersglory

Xpression Games
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 23, 2017
OptiX works great with one GPU but once you get into a multi-GPU setup not as much.

D

Dr PinkCake

Can confirm that OptiX doesn't work well with GTX 1080 Ti. Unchecking the CPU does the trick for most scenes that don't exceed memory. However, my CPU (i7700k) still stays at constant 25% during rendering so there definitely are processes other than CUDA in the works.

Afflyction

Game Developer
May 7, 2017
This only happens to me when I am bulk rendering and I check to monitor the render. If I don't close out the preview screens when they are done, It keeps the render memory and once my gpu is full, it will kick over to cpu. So, I just stopped monitoring the renders.

MaxCarna

Game Developer
Jun 13, 2017
Sometimes when the scene use more memory than the GPU has, Iray switches to CPU even if it is not marked on advanced settings. This can be seen in the beginning of the rendering log. Any mention to CPU mean that the engine switched. I have two 1070 but in the end I'm limited to the same 8gb of a single 1080.

If this is happening, try to delete every prop that is out of the camera, you may need to have multiple .duf files to cover everything. Also change the surfaces of unimportant objects to have less details.

I'm always batch rendering about 20 and 30 images in a row, my 8gb is holding fine, is very rare to switch to CPU. An internal night scene take between 20 and 30 minutes with GPU only, and almost 2 hours with CPU. I have a Ryzen 7 1700.

I don't see other developers mentioning the RAM usage, but even using GPU processing, my percentage of RAM usage was rising very much throughout the process. With 16gb RAM some scenes started to use virtual memory and make swaps. This let things really slow. I planned to upgrade to 32gb but I found a good deal and bought 64gb RAM. Sometimes I saw the RAM usage pass 33gb. In Daz forum they say it was not supposed to happen, but it did happen, so.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
In Daz forum they say it was not supposed to happen, but it did happen, so.
Lots of things aren't supposed to happen with Daz, but do. LOL

Daz is known to leak memory - both GPU memory and CPU memory - under certain conditions. Thus, a periodic reboot of your computer is recommended if you're doing heavy-duty rendering. Or, if you don't do that, at least shut down and restart Daz now and again.

Also, if you have a card that's light on GPU memory, you can use the Scene Optimizer to lighten the load on the GPU. It goes in and shinks the sizes of the various textures. After all, it's kind of silly to have a 4k by 4k texture eating up GPU memory for a figure that's far away in your render. PA's love to give really, really high-res textures for that one-in-a-thousand render that's right up close, but those are few and far between...

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
I am having a similar problem, when I render without Iray, everything works, other than the iray only colors/textures, if I render with the cpu, everything works (though that defeats the point of buy a new video card), but if I use my brand new video card, then I get an empty render. Everything was fine (albeit slow), with my 970, but with the 2080, I can't get it to work.

...figured it out, have to have the new 4.11 beta version to make it work.

Deleted member 167032

Alternate Existence
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 16, 2017
Apart from it not being right, it doesnt make sense. I take it in DAZ Render LIbrary/Advanced Tab DAZ pickus up yo have a RTX?
Just having the GPU/OptiX Prime selected you still cant render in Iray?

I am having a similar problem, when I render without Iray, everything works, other than the iray only colors/textures, if I render with the cpu, everything works (though that defeats the point of buy a new video card), but if I use my brand new video card, then I get an empty render. Everything was fine (albeit slow), with my 970, but with the 2080, I can't get it to work.