• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Creating my own 3d environments, thoughts?

Aug 2, 2017
I have decided to create my own models for the settings in the game im going to be creating sometime in the very near future. Thoughts on progress so far as well as suggestions?

Everything is untextured atm while i'm planning things out, I understand its hard to see details.

ThorMcBalbo

May 12, 2017
everything looks fine except the for one thing or maybe it just a design thing that will look better with textures
room2.png
why the bed have that weird shape at the foot and sides?

DaScoot

Game Developer
Jul 8, 2017
There's a lot of factors to consider when modelling:

• What's the perspective of the player? Will they be able to see every part of the models or is the camera locked? Is it first person or third? This affects what parts of models you may be able to ignore.
  • Is this for real-time or pre-rendered images? Pre-rendered can afford to be much more complex in model details.
  • Do you plan to do realistic textures or cartoony simple colors? If everything's a solid color, it skips a lot of work but obviously doesn't look as good.
  • Realistic lighting or general lighting? If you want the scene to be primarily lit by things actually in the scene, rather than a global light, you'll want to plan light models and windows around it.
The models you have seem fine so far, but for a bedroom you'll probably need a lot more if you're going for something realistic. The average bedroom is probably one of the most clutter-filled places on Earth, and imo it's always the small details that really sell a scene. Things from pens on the desk to socks on the floor to scattered electronics, etc.

Aug 2, 2017
There's a lot of factors to consider when modelling:

• What's the perspective of the player? Will they be able to see every part of the models or is the camera locked? Is it first person or third? This affects what parts of models you may be able to ignore.
  • Is this for real-time or pre-rendered images? Pre-rendered can afford to be much more complex in model details.
  • Do you plan to do realistic textures or cartoony simple colors? If everything's a solid color, it skips a lot of work but obviously doesn't look as good.
  • Realistic lighting or general lighting? If you want the scene to be primarily lit by things actually in the scene, rather than a global light, you'll want to plan light models and windows around it.
The models you have seem fine so far, but for a bedroom you'll probably need a lot more if you're going for something realistic. The average bedroom is probably one of the most clutter-filled places on Earth, and imo it's always the small details that really sell a scene. Things from pens on the desk to socks on the floor to scattered electronics, etc.
Im going for a sort of semi realistic style, not over the top with detail but enough to make it look good. The game will be pre rendered images in a visual novel style but with plenty of choices and story lines for the player to go through. I will be using the Daz3D figures for the characters instead of modeling them myself since i'm not good with human figures.

Papa Ernie

Squirrel!?
Uploader
Donor
Dec 4, 2016
You might want to reopen this thread here -->

89tasker

Jun 4, 2017
I have to ask... what's the point?
You can make it yourself, but aren't there better versions out there?

To me, it would be like a contractor wanting to forge his own nails; You're already building the house, why bother with home-made nails that you can buy for cheap?

Aug 2, 2017
I have to ask... what's the point?
You can make it yourself, but aren't there better versions out there?

To me, it would be like a contractor wanting to forge his own nails; You're already building the house, why bother with home-made nails that you can buy for cheap?
To me its not about being done faster. I enjoy messing around in blender, plus I get to create exactly what i'm looking for while gaining more experience in 3d modeling.

Reactions: Papa Ernie
Aug 2, 2017
Learning....
In school, did your teachers just tell you "do this" "figure it out on your own" or did they give you a book, and examples saying here's how it's done...

I think learning hands on is best. Tear a model apart and see what it's made of. Then try putting it back together, blindfolded.

I learned everything I know about 3d modeling and programming in my free time and since I moved around a lot growing up I never had a good source of education since everywhere I went was learning something different. Its a lot harder to learn something like this on your own with not knowing where to start but the feeling of making something "successful" is much greater when you do it alone. Thank you for the link, I will definitely look into some other models for reference!

DarkMirrodin

Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Start from scratch without the base and want to do it alone is a loss of time.
Better taking a small formation for gain a lot of time.
But yes you're courageous and the feeling is here i admit.