Ren'Py Creating a game with low frame animation

kedor

Sep 10, 2017
Hello, I wanted to try and create a game in Ren'py. I already tried something and played around with features and coding... However I'm struggling to decide how to animate my "scenes".

Since I have 0 knowledge on animation (I tried blender but it is a nightmare for me...) I thought on creating "low frames animations" so that I could more easily create them.

So here is my question: would a 4 frame animation be "enough"? Or should I try with 10 frames? 15? The more frames the longer it'll take for me... So I was wondering what was a "decent enough" spot to hit.

I recently played an RPGM game called "wolf of shadow" which has 2-frame animations and those incredibly work so well... Is a 2-frame animation better than a 4/8/12 frame one?

Also I have another question (unrelated to the "low frame animation" problem): I wanted to add some particles effect over my frames, so I would basically need a 2d video without background... How can I create one of those?

Reactions: TREXrg

TREXrg

Jun 26, 2022
Hello, I wanted to try and create a game in Ren'py. I already tried something and played around with features and coding... However I'm struggling to decide how to animate my "scenes".

Since I have 0 knowledge on animation (I tried blender but it is a nightmare for me...) I thought on creating "low frames animations" so that I could more easily create them.

So here is my question: would a 4 frame animation be "enough"? Or should I try with 10 frames? 15? The more frames the longer it'll take for me... So I was wondering what was a "decent enough" spot to hit.

I recently played an RPGM game called "wolf of shadow" which has 2-frame animations and those incredibly work so well... Is a 2-frame animation better than a 4/8/12 frame one?

Also I have another question (unrelated to the "low frame animation" problem): I wanted to add some particles effect over my frames, so I would basically need a 2d video without background... How can I create one of those?
you can make 3d animations in daz NLT Media and Classy Lemon use daz there are youtube tutorials to do animation in daz

i hope this helps but i am no expert about animations yet
i dont know how you want the animations to look like her are daz animations as an example how they look
Classy Lemon`s Projekt Passion

i dont know how you want the animations to look like
NLT Media`s Treasure of Nadia

View attachment AgVl1-l.mp4

Reactions: Xeni88 and kedor

kedor

Sep 10, 2017
Thanks, it looks really simple and the tutorials seems very intuitive but if I want to use this I need first to figure out how to recreate the characters in here (since it was originally based on final fantasy xiv characters and, almost anime, style)...

Rintal

May 6, 2017

You just need to understand the key points of the driving dynamics.
For example, if it is a punch, then the main two points are the fist at the beginning of the movement and at the end. Moreover, the end of the movement should be further than the target of the impact - this gives dynamics and mass to the impact. Next, the fist should move with acceleration. This means that in the middle of the blow time, fist should not be in the middle of the path, but closer to the target and farther from the starting point. That is, to show the strength and dynamics of the impact, three keyframes are enough. Of course, you can add as many midpoints as you like. Three is the minimum.
5567892.jpg
Photoshop for example.

TREXrg

Jun 26, 2022
Thanks, it looks really simple and the tutorials seems very intuitive but if I want to use this I need first to figure out how to recreate the characters in here (since it was originally based on final fantasy xiv characters and, almost anime, style)...
renderstate has a mayority of daz and games
final fantasy characters you maybe find more with the specific names of characters but here have a look

Then there is smutbase its normaly for blender

Reactions: kedor

TREXrg

Jun 26, 2022
For example, if it is a punch, then the main two points are the fist at the beginning of the movement and at the end. Moreover, the end of the movement should be further than the target of the impact - this gives dynamics and mass to the impact. Next, the fist should move with acceleration. This means that in the middle of the blow time, fist should not be in the middle of the path, but closer to the target and farther from the starting point. That is, to show the strength and dynamics of the impact, three keyframes are enough. Of course, you can add as many midpoints as you like. Three is the minimum.
View attachment 2743558

Photoshop for example.
Photoshop(is bigger has a big commiunity) or gimp(is free)
Photoshop brushes can be used in gimp there are tutorials how to import it
on devianart is a ton of ps stuff

also free daz(free software) stuff

kedor

Sep 10, 2017
renderstate has a mayority of daz and games
final fantasy characters you maybe find more with the specific names of characters but here have a look

Then there is smutbase its normaly for blender

Tha's a very good starting point, thanks. However I didn't mean explictly "final fantasy characters" but more like the art style.

Anyway, whatching the models on that website I had and idea... And I'll probably need to do some research on my own anyway... But maybe you can give me a hint on what I can hope to achieve...

So I was wondering, will it be possible to import one of those premade characters and then customize it? More specifically, change the clothes, the hairstyle and maybe add specific features (like cat/wolf/fox/whatever ears and tail)?

kedor

Sep 10, 2017
View attachment 2743558

Photoshop for example.
Thanks for the explanation! It's actually more complicated than I initially thought but I can work on it

Rintal

May 6, 2017
Thanks for the explanation! It's actually more complicated than I initially thought but I can work on it
On the one hand, it is really difficult, on the other, not so much. The main idea is that 3-5 frames is enough for a beautiful, stylish animation.

Reactions: Grap and TREXrg

kedor

Sep 10, 2017
On the one hand, it is really difficult, on the other, not so much. The main idea is that 3-5 frames is enough for a beautiful, stylish animation.
I see... can you help me with a bit more specific infos? So my situation is this: I have to create these herotic (of course) animations and was trying to give a better sense of "motion" with just 4 frames (well actually it was a 6 frame cicle since the motion was looped and the frames were basically "1-2-3-4-3-2" etc) but by moving just "the specific part of the body" the effect was quite... garbage... so I tried to give it more "randomness" by enabling another function on the program I'm using (called anamnesis, which is basically a pose maker which utilizes the in game engine) which lets the bodies "fluctuate" (I don't know how to describe it... basically instead of being perfectly still, those move a bit left and right... but by a small ammout).

So with this feature I had this 4*-frame animation with also a little bit of swaying around... but I guess I forgot the "impact" part... like an extra little movement on the final frame... do you think it would make the result much better?

TREXrg

Jun 26, 2022
Tha's a very good starting point, thanks. However I didn't mean explictly "final fantasy characters" but more like the art style.

Anyway, whatching the models on that website I had and idea... And I'll probably need to do some research on my own anyway... But maybe you can give me a hint on what I can hope to achieve...

So I was wondering, will it be possible to import one of those premade characters and then customize it? More specifically, change the clothes, the hairstyle and maybe add specific features (like cat/wolf/fox/whatever ears and tail)?
So i tested modefing tifa(morph,clothes,hair) and it works but i have no catears(renderstate has it i am sure)so i morphed the ears long so its possible
its only a quick test

1688472256893.png

kedor

Sep 10, 2017
So i tested modefing tifa(morph,clothes,hair) and it works but i have no catears(renderstate has it i am sure)so i morphed the ears long so its possible
its only a quick test
Awesome so it works... well I've never used daz3d before and I'm having quite some problems importing the tifa model... it keeps saying that some "files" are missing... anyway, another problem with daz3d is that the bodies don't have genitalia... do I have to "download a different body type" for those?

TREXrg

Jun 26, 2022
Awesome so it works... well I've never used daz3d before and I'm having quite some problems importing the tifa model... it keeps saying that some "files" are missing... anyway, another problem with daz3d is that the bodies don't have genitalia... do I have to "download a different body type" for those?
unzip the file then import it to your daz libary

it said that to with the tifa parts that happens either because there are other assets requiered but with tifa its because its a ported model/asset they normaly say that you miss sometings but if the are not grey boxes you have all things

for genitals
its pretty much all on renderstate and they writte if something extra is requiered
if you buy in the daz store pretty much every genesis character pro bundle has the base genitals for there generation
there are compapility issius between genesis genaration in a nutshell its g1,g2,g3-g7,g8,g8.1,g9
g3-g7,g8 are the most compaptiable with hair clothes and poses but specific stuff like genitals are only with there own generation
daz takes some time to understand but its easier to understand compaired to blender but blender can do more stuff but you can combine both for certained things you wil get there eventually
daz animating(process) is easier then blender but rendering and animations are faster in blender
there are animated sex scenes
i hope you have enough to figure it out

english is not my first language hope its understandable

Rintal

May 6, 2017
I see... can you help me with a bit more specific infos? So my situation is this: I have to create these herotic (of course) animations and was trying to give a better sense of "motion" with just 4 frames (well actually it was a 6 frame cicle since the motion was looped and the frames were basically "1-2-3-4-3-2" etc) but by moving just "the specific part of the body" the effect was quite... garbage... so I tried to give it more "randomness" by enabling another function on the program I'm using (called anamnesis, which is basically a pose maker which utilizes the in game engine) which lets the bodies "fluctuate" (I don't know how to describe it... basically instead of being perfectly still, those move a bit left and right... but by a small ammout).

So with this feature I had this 4*-frame animation with also a little bit of swaying around... but I guess I forgot the "impact" part... like an extra little movement on the final frame... do you think it would make the result much better?
I think the best thing you can do is try it and see for yourself. =) In addition, you can always find references on the Internet. Find a video where a person performs the movement you need and watch it frame by frame.
Speaking of games, check out View Of The Family. DEV did a very good animation in several frames there.

Reactions: TREXrg and kedor

kedor

Sep 10, 2017
unzip the file then import it to your daz libary

it said that to with the tifa parts that happens either because there are other assets requiered but with tifa its because its a ported model/asset they normaly say that you miss sometings but if the are not grey boxes you have all things

for genitals
its pretty much all on renderstate and they writte if something extra is requiered
if you buy in the daz store pretty much every genesis character pro bundle has the base genitals for there generation
there are compapility issius between genesis genaration in a nutshell its g1,g2,g3-g7,g8,g8.1,g9
g3-g7,g8 are the most compaptiable with hair clothes and poses but specific stuff like genitals are only with there own generation
daz takes some time to understand but its easier to understand compaired to blender but blender can do more stuff but you can combine both for certained things you wil get there eventually
daz animating(process) is easier then blender but rendering and animations are faster in blender
there are animated sex scenes
i hope you have enough to figure it out

english is not my first language hope its understandable
Hey sorry I have another question... I'm still trying to create my character and use daz for poses/animations... However an important part of the "game" I want to create is... You know... The sex part... I tried to search on render state for "squirts" but couldn't find anything... Do you know if it is possible to add squirts to animation in daz studio? Or at least... A prop which is ... A squirt? Something like that I guess...

Also, I'm still debating if it is not better to learn (or at least try again) blender at this point... The site you gave me earlier is very cool and has a lot of assets, thanks! Do you know any other site for blender stuff? Maybe also animations?

Edit: I just now realized that in the last video you sent me in the first reply there is something like that... But I can't find anything on the matter... Maybe I got it wrong... Maybe there isn't a "squirt option" and instead you have to "make it happen" using other kind vfx or props? (Maybe even in post product?)

Last edited:

felldude

Aug 26, 2017
4 frame animation is usually just an in out or a blink if it is looping that gives you only have 2 different frames of animation
1 2 3 2 and then it starts at 1 again.

Things like hands moving around or to much movement can be an issue with low frames of animation, as an example:

View attachment Test.webp

Here is a Daz3d Animation I through together:
View attachment Daz.webp

And just for fun lets run AI over the Daz Animation
View attachment AI.webp

Last edited:

TREXrg

Jun 26, 2022
Hey sorry I have another question... I'm still trying to create my character and use daz for poses/animations... However an important part of the "game" I want to create is... You know... The sex part... I tried to search on render state for "squirts" but couldn't find anything... Do you know if it is possible to add squirts to animation in daz studio? Or at least... A prop which is ... A squirt? Something like that I guess...

Also, I'm still debating if it is not better to learn (or at least try again) blender at this point... The site you gave me earlier is very cool and has a lot of assets, thanks! Do you know any other site for blender stuff? Maybe also animations?

Edit: I just now realized that in the last video you sent me in the first reply there is something like that... But I can't find anything on the matter... Maybe I got it wrong... Maybe there isn't a "squirt option" and instead you have to "make it happen" using other kind vfx or props? (Maybe even in post product?)

i am not the best with blender myself so you have to look there are lots of tutorials for blender but it takes time to learn

for the squirting

you need to work with it test it and find wich are following each other
squirting is not easy thats why many Visual Novels only show them as static renders (i would too but thats up to you)
to animate you need practise,time,tutorials and/or add ons
animating liquids is always harder

Aug 28, 2021
by moving just "the specific part of the body" the effect was quite... garbage...
Almost every movement involve the all body. There, sitting at a desk and typing on a keyboard, my shoulders and back move ; less than my hands and fingers, obviously but they aren't motionless. If I grab something on the side, my legs move because my bust face toward an other direction, etc.

In this context, it will be weird/10 but you should do the movement you want to animate, watching and feeling how you balance yourself, which muscles you use, etc. Having references is as mandatory to get best result (unless you're already a anatomy beast)