• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Plumpunikitty

May 7, 2019
i mean we technically already do if you are a mage who can fire superheated sharpened rocks.
With that logic I'm a space marine because I can shoot plasma.

Samurai and cowboys existed simultaneously for a period of time

this is only tangentially relevant to the conversation but its a fact that makes me happy
see
1714745469493.png

muschi26

Engaged Member
Jun 22, 2019
Kitsunes use iron because they don't have tin/bronze deposits, so yes they retained iron forging according to Alypia:
I mean, this is writing we’re talking about, so the causality is inverted: they lack tin because someone wanted them to use iron.

I also find this rationalization funny, because you can make bronze without tin. There are a variety of other metals, such as arsenic or aluminum, which can be alloyed with copper to make bronze, which can be even tougher than traditional tin bronze, and, looking at the melting points of these elements, would likely be a lot easier to produce than iron.

I'm gonna make a guess and say it's The Seven actively sabotaging tech progress to keep people dependent on worship.
I immediately thought of Gor, in which that’s essentially what’s going on.

Samurai and cowboys existed simultaneously for a period of time

this is only tangentially relevant to the conversation but its a fact that makes me happy
Wasn’t that because the Japanese government banned firearms and had an ongoing trade embargo to stop foreigners from coming over to sell them?

YouShallNotLol

May 6, 2022
Wasn’t that because the Japanese government banned firearms and had an ongoing trade embargo to stop foreigners from coming over to sell them?
First they bought shitton of firearms and learned how to reproduce the guns domestically. Then they put an embargo on trade with foreigners.
But that has little to do with thousands of years of history from before guns were invented.

Warphorror

Jan 2, 2018
The fun fact about the game weapons is that iron weapons are better than bronze ones that bend or break more easily. Also the fact that the "civilized" minothaurs that are based on the roman republic/empire don't use iron is baffling. While iron forging required better furnace, smelting and forging technique it was way better. So I didn't quite understand why the MC is intrigued by the existence of iron weapons.

YouShallNotLol

May 6, 2022
This was about the simultaneous existence of both samurai and cowboys. There weren’t cowboys before guns were invented.
Well, unlike cowboys, samurai were an actual equivalent of european knights. It was a feudal title.
And actually OG spanish proto-cowboys were there in latin america in 16th century.

But I'm trailing off.
Samurais did modernize, they were wielding muskets for a decade or two. And even had steam battleships.
Before being abolished as a class in 1869.

So a former samurai of meiji restoration period would be rocking a musket alongside his naginata. :D

Peasantry

Apr 11, 2018
Well, unlike cowboys, samurai were an actual equivalent of european knights. It was a feudal title.
And actually OG spanish proto-cowboys were there in latin america in 16th century.

But I'm trailing off.
Samurais did modernize, they were wielding muskets for a decade or two. And even had steam battleships.

So a former samurai of meiji restoration period would be rocking a musket alongside his naginata. :D
Look, I just want to imagine a scene where a cowboy sees a samurai do his fancy quickdraw sword shtick, then casually says "but have you tried quickdraw.... with a gun?"

nnjagnga333

Jul 4, 2019

But I'm trailing off.

Samurai had firearms from the late 1500s on. They were brought over by the Portuguese before the country was closed off.

arcader000

Nov 13, 2019
Kitsunes use iron because they don't have tin/bronze deposits, so yes they retained iron forging according to Alypia:
View attachment 3599166

Also no guns due to L O R E from Tobs, the amazing L O R E M A S T E R himself:
View attachment 3599158

I wonder what asspull they'll make this time.

EDIT: I'm gonna make a guess and say it's The Seven actively sabotaging tech progress to keep people dependent on worship.
What even tychris supposed to be thats the second time I've seen that name dropped. Crazy we need a deep lore reason for no gunpowder, just say there isn't any saltpeter deposits.

Lord Kentus

Jan 4, 2021
What even tychris supposed to be thats the second time I've seen that name dropped. Crazy we need a deep lore reason for no gunpowder, just say there isn't any saltpeter deposits.
For real, early Gun powder could be made from plenty of rather dirty and odd mixtures.

Carbon Black Powder, Sulfur Mixtures, Saltpeter, it was made different all across Europe and bits of Asia for a long, long while, even in America, specifically the South, Black Powder was made different because of the abundance of regional mines.

2.90 star(s) 95 Votes