• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Nobody032

Sep 6, 2021
I don't think that Temptation giving 15 when triggered is actually a bug as that's in line with the other Distortions. Rampancy gives 30 after they Rampage, and Orgy/Negotiate give 0 for their related downtimes as well.
I know about the aversion and negotiation not giving energy(Unless you have aversion item) but I thought Rampage and temptation used to give +50 after t4 breaks. Maybe I was wrong? Well I thought it was a bug so I reported it, if it's not then it's fine too.

Btw does anyone else think that megalomania is a bit too easy to trigger? Honestly when there was talk about Confidence/Dignity and Morality/Innocence distortion I was thinking that the former would make it harder to break the meglomaniac chosen during the loop and the final battle while the other one would make it harder to deal with the other two chosen. Not that I don't like the current megalomaniac distorion but being able to have all t3 breaks makes them a bit too easy to deal with.

The recruit option also seems a bit too easy honestly. Maybe make it so recruit can only be triggered after defeating the other two chosen in the final battle?

SuperSkippy

Oct 25, 2017
I know about the aversion and negotiation not giving energy(Unless you have aversion item) but I thought Rampage and temptation used to give +50 after t4 breaks. Maybe I was wrong? Well I thought it was a bug so I reported it, if it's not then it's fine too.

Btw does anyone else think that megalomania is a bit too easy to trigger? Honestly when there was talk about Confidence/Dignity and Morality/Innocence distortion I was thinking that the former would make it harder to break the meglomaniac chosen during the loop and the final battle while the other one would make it harder to deal with the other two chosen. Not that I don't like the current megalomaniac distorion but being able to have all t3 breaks makes them a bit too easy to deal with.

The recruit option also seems a bit too easy honestly. Maybe make it so recruit can only be triggered after defeating the other two chosen in the final battle?
The code for Downtime checks to see if any Distortions were activated in the fight, and if any of them were, the weight of every non-Distortion related Downtime Action is set to 0 so they never happen. As far as I can recall that was the case even before the fairly recent Downtime changes, and I remember deliberately not triggering Rampage from quite a few updates ago so I could get the +50EE.

I don't really find Megalomania being any less difficult to trigger than the others, it's just different because it requires T3 breaks before triggering. With Temptation and Rampage I often use the extra EE to help me get those T3 breaks, (even Orgy and Negotiation give some extra EE from Relationship changes) and for Megalomania I have to plan for getting T3 breaks first. Since it's not a straight-up better Distortion this makes sense to me. It does trivialize the Splendor fight quite a bit but that fight was already not difficult.

I do agree that the one-click Recruit makes the Final Battle significantly less of a puzzle in a less-fun way. I view the major cost of this being that I can't just send out a 4-circumstance Demon Commander like I usually do at the end. I wouldn't oppose any of these changes:

1) Like you said, make the Recruit option unavailable until the other Chosen are converted or killed.
2) Make the Megalomaniac Chosen kill her former partners, one per turn, if she's Recruited before they are. Thematically I like this one because they know secrets about her.
3) Make Recruit deal 100 Resolve damage instead of immediately removing all Resolve.
4) In combination with #3, the Megalomaniac chosen has a standard Resolve equal to 100% * (1 + the number of former and present Second-in-Commands, no Species bonus). This also allows for strengthening the Distortion to have the game effect (I don't think it does now except for the +50EE) of making Recruit deal additional damage, probably +50% per distortion trigger. This would bring it mostly in-line with the other Distortions and make it more difficult to trigger in later Loops. It also makes thematic sense because after all, they've all seen what happened to your former Second-in-Commands and so they might need extra convincing.

I think some combination of these (probably not all 4) can be used to make the final battle more interesting and bring this Distortion in line with the others.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doctor Shark

zyty1221

Nov 12, 2023
So I managed to "win" the other day but I hadn't managed to completely corrupt everyone or even get all of the t3 breaks (the last 15 days were a mad rush but I was struggling and couldn't push past a few walls) didn't have enough EE for the resolve decreasing upgrades but I did manage to get two of the Chosen killed so yippee I guess.

My question (other than tips for consistently getting t2-t3 breaks earlier) is whether a game like that is even worth taking into loop 2+ as it stands. I don't have any forsaken and from what I can see loop 2 doesn't keep any other buffs or upgrades and just gets harder?

I was playing on campaign mode but that may have been a mistake for a noob like me.

TheFakeOne23

Feb 9, 2020
I do agree that the one-click Recruit makes the Final Battle significantly less of a puzzle in a less-fun way. I view the major cost of this being that I can't just send out a 4-circumstance Demon Commander like I usually do at the end. I wouldn't oppose any of these changes:

1) Like you said, make the Recruit option unavailable until the other Chosen are converted or killed.
2) Make the Megalomaniac Chosen kill her former partners, one per turn, if she's Recruited before they are. Thematically I like this one because they know secrets about her.
3) Make Recruit deal 100 Resolve damage instead of immediately removing all Resolve.
4) In combination with #3, the Megalomaniac chosen has a standard Resolve equal to 100% * (1 + the number of former and present Second-in-Commands, no Species bonus). This also allows for strengthening the Distortion to have the game effect (I don't think it does now except for the +50EE) of making Recruit deal additional damage, probably +50% per distortion trigger. This would bring it mostly in-line with the other Distortions and make it more difficult to trigger in later Loops. It also makes thematic sense because after all, they've all seen what happened to your former Second-in-Commands and so they might need extra convincing.

I think some combination of these (probably not all 4) can be used to make the final battle more interesting and bring this Distortion in line with the others.
God I hope some of that gets used, Hate and Innocence are my two favorites to break, so I really looked forward to their distortion. And while I like it somewhat, the fact that it´s very much ill-advised to do too often, thanks to "ruining" the previous second in command, does dampen my enjoyment of it significantly :cry:
As it stands, reducing the bonus by a lot or removing it would have been fine with me, though still painful, but straight up making it a penalty seems too harsh...

1raunpj

Dec 2, 2017
How can I play a game against a custom heroine squad? I've tried making a trio but no matter what settings I use, any new game only uses randomly generated heroines, never any that I made.

CSdev

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2020
hopefully I got the save file right. I don't know how to export save file properly so I might sent it wrong file here.
Here is the save file (I think it is the correct one). It is the most recent save entry, and it was in R51 (if it makes a difference). Thank you for the response, and I hope it helps.
It turns out that I was completely wrong about what was causing these bugs, so thank you very much for uploading your saves! Fixes for both have been included in R53.
Hey CSDev, thank you for your continued development of this project! I would like to ask if the sex system is going to get some attention after all the primary chosen types and the other things you consider to be of high priority right now are done? I absutely love personal interactions with the forsaken, and the sex system feels like it needs some love. Things like you choosing positions, kissing while still penetrating, favorite positions for chosen, different types of foreplay, things like that.
Hey. Cool game. Any plans to implement kissing?

Also, as for the new player experience, I recently finished my first classic run after a few fails. What held me back was not knowing core vulnerabilities were harder to break. (My instincts failed me and kept me going after core ones instead, thinking they were important or a target to aim at). The guide only mentions the fact a little bit and quite far in, on the relationships part.
Yes, these are among the many, many things I still want to add to custom sex scenes. Right now, we're starting to get close to the conclusion of campaign mode, so I'm pretty focused on that for the time being. But eventually, most updates are going to be focused on adding more and more sex actions (and more detailed, responsive flavor for existing actions).
Is there any way to avoid having the same chosen reoccur throughout loops?

I get that the portraits will be reused, but I have a Forsaken named "Faith" and now I also have an enemy chosen with the same "hero name".

Maybe the only way to avoid this for now is to manually rename my Forsaken..?
The only option I can think of is to activate the option that makes them use their civilian names, since this are actually different
As you stated regarding renaming your Forsaken, that would fit lore wise. They are no longer Chosen, and Faith *was* his/her Chosen name... So, perhaps the new Faith was a fan of the first and wanted to honor the title? (making up fanfic or rationalize the scenario)
Right, the intent is that players will rename their Forsaken to something more appropriate for a villain. But I guess the canon explanation is that most Chosen just really aren't that creative.
I am seeing that this game is very bugged, one of my magical boys counts as having a vagina when I assault him (and he never went through any transformation).

Besides that, I dont know if this is a bug , but I never even had the chance to buy the final skill, the demon core was exposed early on in my game, and it was quickly destroyed, completely unprompted.
I wasn't able to replicate the early final battle bug, but I think I did find what was causing your magical boys to have inconsistent features. It should be fixed in R54.
Okay so I requested a Miraheze wiki a few days ago. They got back to me and asked me to re-confirm that the wiki would conform to their Content Policy (they've had problems lately with NSFW wikis breaking the rules). I didn't see anything there that the game would break. I'll post a link to it once it has been created (assuming they were satisfied with my explanation and confirmation that their rules would be followed). I'm not totally sure how their wikis work or who can edit, but I hope others will be able to help me start filling in accurate information.

Anyway, just as a reference, here's a link to their content policy:

Hopefully it all goes smoothly and we can get a wiki up and running for the game. I imagine it will go a long way to helping everyone learn the game and play it better.

EDIT:

WELCOME to your new Corrupted Saviors wiki:

I'll get started on some of the basics...

Also, I'd recommend just avoiding all NSFW images on the site. I think the descriptions will be fine. I specifically told the admins of the site that the purpose of the wiki is for _education_ about the game mechanics so if we want to keep the wiki, it needs to be kept orderly.
Thank you for going through the work of getting this set up! I've added a link to the wiki in the resources.txt file included with the game. And if you ever need clarification on any mechanics for a writeup, I try to answer such questions here whenever they come up.
I’m playing on a Mac and the text isn’t aligned like in the screenshots, and the font doesn’t match... It's really hard to follow. Is there anything I can do?

View attachment 3580730
My understanding is that Java looks at the fonts installed on your system and tries to find the best match for the one specified by the program. I'm not sure if installing a font on your end could solve the problem.
Hey CSDev, I've enjoyed the new features you've added, but there is something I would like to see added: some sort of flavor-text only toggle for the generic thralls you see in the normal fights wherein you can change whether they are described as female thralls, futanari thralls, a mix of men/women/futas, or any combination thereof.

I like the addition of Male Chosen/magical boys that you added in, but I really don't want to see them get raped or violated by male thralls, but seeing women or futas doing it? That's something that I would much prefer to see, and I can sort of already see it happen by sending a Forsaken after them, but I'd really like to have the option for my generic mobs to just not be men when they're violating the poor boy. And for that matter I would also prefer to see the standard Female Chosen getting lezzed on by female/futa thralls instead if such a toggle was added. So many Magical Girl shows don't feature men to the point that one has to wonder if they even exist in-universe, and I think it would be neat to have such a thing also exist in this game as well.

Speaking of sending a Forsaken after a Male Chosen, in the future, will it be possible for a Forsaken to force a Male Chosen to impregnate her and babytrap him into the dark side that way? And hopefully in a way that can be done outside of and before the final battle for the loop? I read that you were hoping to implement some sort of relationship system that could be exploited in someway outside of the standard battles and I was wondering if you had something like that in mind already? Would you mind expounding on this a bit please?
This is something I'm interested in adding, but the amount of flavor text that would need to be rewritten is really huge, probably a full update's worth of work. I wouldn't expect to see it anytime soon.
I already love the new distortion, always want to build a HATE/PLEA forsaken and the theme is just perfect for this! I guess the next distortion would be complete the opposite of Megalomania, maybe Masochism? Something like 'in contrast of the high and unique position of megalomaniac forsaken, masochist are far more common as corrupted chosens and their power are designed to boost other forsakens effectiveness rather than themself' (maybe increasing training points when training with a masochist or make them a goatscape for enraged forsaken). That would be really interesting, love your works CSDev!
Been taking a look at the new release - noticed two issues right of the bat. 1st, the new distortion path is not listed in the forsaken guide, so the default bonuses a forsaken has for being that distortion is not listed. 2nd, the new distortion is not listed in the (forsaken->cheat->distortion) section of the cheat menu, so you can't generate a custom forsaken with that distortion.

It looks like this might also be a tricky distortion to manage, since it's relatively easy to trigger on multiple chosen if you haven't fully broken the other vulnerabilities yet. Which can make targeting the specific chosen you want an issue. Did a cheating test game, and had one chosen surrounded, and two chosen that could trigger the distortion. Might be worth adding a caveat that the chosen that you've already selected for the distortion is prioritized. - which is not the case currently, had to surround both of the other chosen to trigger on the one I actually wanted.

There may also be an issue with single-play and Megalomania forsaken - since they effectively "lose" their second in command status while in the main menu, you can't get their unique defiler back (if you train them out of it) unless you start a single play scenario. Not really an issue in campaign, but a bit odd.

Also, for people who are wondering:
Defiler Specialty: Maneuver (none)
Can increase the duration of the current Capture by 2, but only while the target has a Surrounded ally, and this may be repeated multiple times during the Capture

Traits while second-in-command:
Trait: Ambitious Underling
+50% HATE and PLEA damage and special Defiler, but only while occupying Second-in-Command position

Trait: Second-in-Command
No deployment cost for final battle, training plan cannot increase corruption, cannot train without consent

Trait after being replaced (or while in main menu):
Trait: Usurped Authority
Loses Distortion benefits, deals half damage in battle
Thanks for catching these issues with the implementation of the new Distortion. I'll see if I can have them all fixed by R54.
Just theory crafting here;

Is there any actual reason for the Megalomania distortion to be a one-off distortion? It doesn't seem like there's any particular reason why having one on the team would explicitly prevent other chosen from being distorted in the same way (or even multiple chosen distorting after the same battle). If the main reason is because promising one chosen the second-in-command position during the final battle, then turning around and offering the same position to another is.... thematically an issue, there's another way to solve it; restrict Recruit to once per battle, then have it also deal resolve damage to all Megalomania distortion chosen.

With that change, you could have multiple Megalomaniacs on the same team, while also not causing issues with the final battle. You'd still only have one instant win button, but doing multiple Megalomaniac distortions aren't rendered completely meaningless. It might also make sense to apply some restrictions on when Recruit can be used. Maybe require that the other chosen be surrounded, or have already surrendered? It doesn't really make sense that they'd just abandon the fight turn 1 because you offered them a position on your side.
1) The achievement for Megalomania only counts those that are installed as your Second-in-Command, so doing this would not tick up that achievement.

2) It's more than offering them the job of your right-hand-lady--the second time and later that you perform the Recruit action, your current Second-in-Command fights them for it and loses badly, to the point that they're permanently reduced in power. So--they can't do that multiple times.

3) I kind of think it does make sense? They want to be the ruler of the world, and they view being your Second as the best way to accomplish that. Clearly, they think they're stronger and better-suited than whatever other Chosen made that deal before, and after all, they did win the fight.

Personally I like the idea of having a once-per-team or a type of whole-team Distortion. I suggested two different versions of this which I called Solipsism and Codependency a few months ago, and I don't know if this idea came from that or not but I'm very happy with what's in game. CSdev has stated that the final distortion will work in a similar way.
The suggestions for Solipsism and Codependency were definitely a factor in my decision to set up the last two Distortions like this. The single-target-per-loop nature of the Confidence/Dignity Distortion is meant to be the inverse of the always-targets-all-three-Chosen Morality/Innocence Distortion that's coming soon. I guess I could see adding some gameplay mechanics surrounding triggering Megalomania first in one Chosen and then in another in the same loop, but in the end, you only have one second-in-command position to give out.
CSdev Bug report: Megalomaniac Forsaken cannot be set to training plan None once they are assigned a training plan. You can view this in the first save in the attached file saves.sav--go to Torment the Third and try to clear her training plan.
I suspect that the game is treating all selections on the first page as increasing Corruption, which disables them all for Megalomaniacs.
Also, does strengthening the Megalomaniac distortion do anything? It's noted in game but if it does anything that's opaque on my end.

Updated 5/4 with another believed bug: I believe that Splendor's Glorious Fatal Curse is bugged and not triggering correctly. Even when HATE was her only circumstance over 1000 and both her allies were surrounded for 8 turns, she only did standard moves like Distract, Blast, Rally, etc. Use the attached BuggedSplendor save, load slot one, and send out Hatepsha (1000% HATE) to check for yourself.

Update 5/4 with probably unintended interaction: Animalistic Chosen will still use Frenzy even after a Devil has knocked the Forsaken out of the fight. As Chosen generally are strategic with their use of Tier 3 breaks, this seemed out-of-character enough to notice.

Update 5/4 with new bug report: Splendor's Bargain will in certain unknown circumstances cause the game to hang. It is possible that this only happens when there are no Chosen in a Loop (as is the case in Alternative Routes), but it does not always occur in this circumstance. I have a save file that reproduces the error--load save 1 in BuggedBargain, find Splendor on Page 3, and choose Bargain to reliably freeze the game.

General feedback: I like the new Megalomaniac Forsaken/Chosen a lot. Currently on Loop 10. The tradeoff of having to get their Corruption stats up manually is a good one. You are probably aware that the combination of "must consent to training" and "can't autoimprove Corruption" means that some stats will be impossible to raise for some Forsaken, but this is fine--built in, even, I would say, since if you don't like your Second, you can always get another one.

One thematic thing that I noticed was that a Forsaken with I think the Shy personality was still being kind of indifferent/reserved with her Favorite text, even though she was Megalomaniacal and currently my Second. When you do another flavor pass, these would be good places to add specific Distortion-based interactions.

I'm going to start Loop 11 when I come back to the game, which may or may not be this weekend, and I'll try to give feedback on loops 11-15's difficulty with Splendor defeated in loop 10 next time. The first 10 loops are pretty rote by this point so I have no additional balancing feedback. It was rather easy to beat Splendor using Megalomania (distorted around day 8 or so) but then her fight was never really intended to be the challenging part of her.
Thank you for the bug reports, and for your work on the wiki! The inability to set the "none" training plan is indeed a bug which will be fixed in the next version. As for triggering the Megalomaniac Distortion multiple times, there's currently no bonus beyond being a very "cheap" repeatable way to get +50 EE.

Splendor's reluctance to use Glorious Fatal Curse isn't actually a bug. Because the move doesn't interact with surround mechanics, the Chosen decision algorithm doesn't actually take surrounded allies into account. Instead, it looks at how much EE you're gaining and asks "Will the EE I drain be worth dealing HATE damage to myself?" Because you gained such a huge amount of EE on the previous day, Splendor decides that the relatively small amount of EE she'd be able to chip away from you just isn't worth it.

Good catch on the Animalistic Frenzy usage not making sense, though, and on the bug when Bargaining with Splendor. Both of these will be fixed in R54.

The difficulty of training your second-in-command is definitely something I had in mind while balancing everything. This is why they get their unique Defiler by default - otherwise, it'd often be basically impossible to give it to them, especially since any time spent training them cuts into their brief window of usefulness before being replaced.

I also agree that a lot of the Favorite text doesn't fit very well right now. I have a whole bunch more I want to do with Favorite text, whenever there's a good spot in my development schedule for it, but I've been pretty much putting it on the backburner for now.
So I'm trying to push the all the t1 minor breaks on my chosen before I move on to others (not sure if this is the right strat, should I push all the t1 breaks of a single character first?) and I'm currently struggling to do it. For some reason I was able to do 2 breaks on one character at like day 15 but since then I just haven't been able to do it on any others.

I'm following general strats like using specific circumstances to build up the modifiers and getting expo up on as many chosen as possible. Its just not happening.
So I managed to get this one quite close to her dignity break but I may be misunderstanding something about the conditions. View attachment 3603801
I was ready to do a humiliate on her (it wasn't in green so I was resigned to lose) but then it seemed to do +10k damage to Shame and I was under the impression that was what was required?
No break occurred.
View attachment 3603806
Am I misunderstanding the requirements?
View attachment 3603810
Thanks
It's occurring to me that instead of having the tip text say "until 10k dmg," I should have it specify "until 10k HATE", "until 10k PLEA", etc.
So I found a bug. I don't know the exact cause but it seems to happen when I have deployed my second in command and buy upgrades. Instead of using energy and then giving +2 refund from tomorrow's newspaper, it gives me way more energy instead. Here's the save file. Just start buying upgrades.
Oops, that's a major bug I missed. Buying upgrades with your second-in-command deployed is only supposed to give an EE refund when you're buying Imago Quickening (because the deployment no longer costs Evil Energy).
Triggering temptations on a day seems to only give the +15 energy bonus even after getting t4 break instead of the t4 +50 energy in the 53 version.
The code for Downtime checks to see if any Distortions were activated in the fight, and if any of them were, the weight of every non-Distortion related Downtime Action is set to 0 so they never happen. As far as I can recall that was the case even before the fairly recent Downtime changes, and I remember deliberately not triggering Rampage from quite a few updates ago so I could get the +50EE.
I can offer some clarification here since the mechanics were adjusted at some point and you're both probably remembering how the game worked in different releases. Currently, only Aversion and Negotiation downtimes set the weight for all other downtimes to zero. The EE-generating Distortion downtimes only set the weight to zero for downtime actions that generate equal or less Evil Energy. So, even when using Tempt, the subject can still do the T4 downtime actions that generate +50 Evil Energy, but only if she has enough trauma for it. The energy generated from the Distortion downtime actions themselves don't change.

I don't really find Megalomania being any less difficult to trigger than the others, it's just different because it requires T3 breaks before triggering. With Temptation and Rampage I often use the extra EE to help me get those T3 breaks, (even Orgy and Negotiation give some extra EE from Relationship changes) and for Megalomania I have to plan for getting T3 breaks first. Since it's not a straight-up better Distortion this makes sense to me. It does trivialize the Splendor fight quite a bit but that fight was already not difficult.

I felt like forcing the player to use a specific Commander in order to defeat using the Megalomania Distortion was a pretty big downside, so I balanced around that. In particular, being stuck with a Suspiciously Incompetent Splendor as your second-in-command is really painful, because the only way to get the ball rolling in the final battle is to use the four basic moves and then Surround from there.

The game doesn't outright require you to beat the Megalomaniac's allies first, but it does strongly incentivize it, since you can't Capture anymore after using Recruit.

I agree that adding some more mechanics (and in particular, some benefit to proccing the Distortion multiple times) would make things more interesting, but I'm not sure if it really needs to be more difficult. But then again, maybe I was just playing sloppy in my playtest, and requiring players to be a little more careful would actually be warranted.
God I hope some of that gets used, Hate and Innocence are my two favorites to break, so I really looked forward to their distortion. And while I like it somewhat, the fact that it´s very much ill-advised to do too often, thanks to "ruining" the previous second in command, does dampen my enjoyment of it significantly :cry:
As it stands, reducing the bonus by a lot or removing it would have been fine with me, though still painful, but straight up making it a penalty seems too harsh...
I plan on including an item in the next update that lets your Forsaken cope better with being usurped. Maybe I should add a cheat that lets players select some specific starting items in campaign mode, just so that the playstyle-affecting items can be used without completely throwing the game balance out the window.

zyty1221

Nov 12, 2023
It's occurring to me that instead of having the tip text say "until 10k dmg," I should have it specify "until 10k HATE", "until 10k PLEA", etc.
It might help, I initially intuited what it meant correctly then second-guessed my-self when I managed a break on like 3k or 4k circumstance without understanding that the chosen figured it would break and used a tactic to protect themselves. So when I saw that I thought it must be trauma damage instead.

Love the game by the way, even though I am struggling a little bit. Scraped through with a win but it was pretty scuffed.

dekeche

Aug 5, 2018
I felt like forcing the player to use a specific Commander in order to defeat using the Megalomania Distortion was a pretty big downside, so I balanced around that. In particular, being stuck with a Suspiciously Incompetent Splendor as your second-in-command is really painful, because the only way to get the ball rolling in the final battle is to use the four basic moves and then Surround from there.

The game doesn't outright require you to beat the Megalomaniac's allies first, but it does strongly incentivize it, since you can't Capture anymore after using Recruit.

I agree that adding some more mechanics (and in particular, some benefit to proccing the Distortion multiple times) would make things more interesting, but I'm not sure if it really needs to be more difficult. But then again, maybe I was just playing sloppy in my playtest, and requiring players to be a little more careful would actually be warranted.
Wait, using Megalomania a second time requires sending out your current second-in-command? That should probably be mentioned somewhere. Maybe the final battle description of the distortion should include that recruit will only be available if the second-in-command is either vacant, or participating in the battle (and use the same text regardless of occupancy). It might be a bit of a nasty surprise if someone isn't expecting the distortion behavior to change when using it a second time.

Kaitol

Jul 29, 2017
CSdev There's something I've been ruminating on for a while, and definitely wouldn't be a priority, but I'm wondering how hard it would be to implement...how to phrase this...cosmetic changes to distortions? Some of them can be a little disturbing, or might not be the type of thing someone's into at all, so an option to leave them mechanically intact but change the name and text to something else, kinda like the less violence option in the options menu. I realize it'd be a lot more complex to do because distortions affect quite a few more things like vignettes though. I tend to shy away from Aversion myself just because I find it a little much, so having an alternative would be useful and also something to get excited about once the game is mechanically finished.

zyty1221

Nov 12, 2023
CSdev One thing that I've only just discovered that was confusing me, is that Chosen will always prepare to fly on a capture when the battle is "complete".
I was scratching my head trying to figure out how and why chosen were flying after only like one capture until I found it by trawling this forum. I couldn't find info about this in the guides included (maybe I just didn't look hard enough?) so perhaps adding a tip or info about that might be helpful. Figuring that out has actually drastically improved my approach to fights.

SuperSkippy

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you for the bug reports, and for your work on the wiki! The inability to set the "none" training plan is indeed a bug which will be fixed in the next version. As for triggering the Megalomaniac Distortion multiple times, there's currently no bonus beyond being a very "cheap" repeatable way to get +50 EE.

Splendor's reluctance to use Glorious Fatal Curse isn't actually a bug. Because the move doesn't interact with surround mechanics, the Chosen decision algorithm doesn't actually take surrounded allies into account. Instead, it looks at how much EE you're gaining and asks "Will the EE I drain be worth dealing HATE damage to myself?" Because you gained such a huge amount of EE on the previous day, Splendor decides that the relatively small amount of EE she'd be able to chip away from you just isn't worth it.

Good catch on the Animalistic Frenzy usage not making sense, though, and on the bug when Bargaining with Splendor. Both of these will be fixed in R54.

The difficulty of training your second-in-command is definitely something I had in mind while balancing everything. This is why they get their unique Defiler by default - otherwise, it'd often be basically impossible to give it to them, especially since any time spent training them cuts into their brief window of usefulness before being replaced.

I also agree that a lot of the Favorite text doesn't fit very well right now. I have a whole bunch more I want to do with Favorite text, whenever there's a good spot in my development schedule for it, but I've been pretty much putting it on the backburner for now.
You're welcome!

I didn't know that about the decision to use Fatal Curse, that they're less likely to use it if you have gained a bunch of EE the day before. That explains a lot of the difficulty I've been having with getting Undead MOR PE% up in general. I've been able to make other Undead trigger it. I'm just not sure I ever saw Splendor do it.

I can offer some clarification here since the mechanics were adjusted at some point and you're both probably remembering how the game worked in different releases. Currently, only Aversion and Negotiation downtimes set the weight for all other downtimes to zero. The EE-generating Distortion downtimes only set the weight to zero for downtime actions that generate equal or less Evil Energy. So, even when using Tempt, the subject can still do the T4 downtime actions that generate +50 Evil Energy, but only if she has enough trauma for it. The energy generated from the Distortion downtime actions themselves don't change.
In that case this code in Project.class may actually be a bit off (according to Java Decompile GUI--no idea how it shows on your end).

This code, based on how I view it working, is setting the weights for all Actions 0-20 to a comparitively low floor if capped.booleanValue() is true, right? The weight in particular for Actions 16-20 will be set to 1T if I'm reading this right? ON JDGUI, it starts on line 15572 but I have no way to tell how accurate that is for the actual source code, or if I'm even reading it properly.
Code:
      for (i5 = 0; i5 < 21; i5++) {
        if (capped.booleanValue())
          if (i5 == 0) {
            actionWeights[k][i5] = Long.valueOf(10L);
          } else if (i5 < 5) {
            actionWeights[k][i5] = Long.valueOf(100L);
          } else if (i5 < 9) {
            actionWeights[k][i5] = Long.valueOf(1000L);
          } else if (i5 < 13) {
            actionWeights[k][i5] = Long.valueOf(1000000L);
          } else if (i5 < 17) {
            actionWeights[k][i5] = Long.valueOf(1000000000L);
          } else {
            actionWeights[k][i5] = Long.valueOf(1000000000000L);
          }
        w.corruptionTierSummary[k][i5] = actionWeights[k][i5].longValue();
So won't the Temptation distortion almost always trigger { if capped.booleanValue() } since it has higher weight, since its weight isn't capped? Its weight is 5*(sum of all Traumas) + 2.5*(ANGST). Similarly for Rampage & Megalomania, which are uncapped at the same value if activated.

capped is initialized in my view on line 15552 as false and set to true on line 15555 if any element of actionWeights[][] is greater than 10T. So for Forsaken running around with >10T actionWeights[][], which is only 2T total Trauma (plus some number of ANGST) they will do the Distortion-related action, which is the changed behavior that Nobody032 noticed.

Of course I could be totally wrong on this, my view of your code comes from within JDGUI, the usual disclaimers, etc. But if I'm right you can just change "i5<21" to "i5<17". Well, you'd still have to worry about the calculations in Downtime() exceeding Java's Long datatype at, uh, what is it? 9 Peta-? 9 Exa-? It's around one of those values--but you've got to code for that anyway since you've already left actionWeights[21:25][] uncapped.

I plan on including an item in the next update that lets your Forsaken cope better with being usurped. Maybe I should add a cheat that lets players select some specific starting items in campaign mode, just so that the playstyle-affecting items can be used without completely throwing the game balance out the window.
So, I had Splendor in Loop 11 and Loop 14 (skipped 12-13 through warp but she still drained Motivation the whole time). I didn't try to trigger Megalomania in those loops for that reason. Of course, I'd like to trigger it for Loop 15 in the Victory fight.

I'm actually having real trouble with Loop 15, but not in the way where it'll be impossible to finish. Rather, I'm going to need to accept that I need to sacrifice more Forsaken, even some that I'd really like to keep around, to even be able to use mine. My roster of usable low-cost Forsaken is almost entirely Undead and Animalistic Forsaken. So, they regain Motivation at 1/3 the usual rate. However, Splendor still drains them at the same rate as the others. As such, I really can't get enough Motivation through training to get them to a usable state because a training session focused on Motivation restores about 40 or so for them, while costing all their Stamina. And by the time their Stamina comes back, two days after training, they've already pretty much lost the Motivation they gained. The only one that's consistently usable is Metalhead, my Demon Knight.

Splendor's Bargaining system is perhaps not as helpful as intended. I haven't looked in the code, but it seems like in Loops with Devils, she only seems to ever offer the "stop spreading propaganda about Devils and Animalistic" bargain. And, in the loops I warped through, she was offering deals about empowering Chosen that... probably didn't actually exist? And sometimes crashing the game? I know there's a priority system and that if Devils are in the Loop, they have the highest priority, but I have not actually seen her offer anything else in those four (two fights, two skipped) Loops. If she had ever offered the "stop draining Motivation" deal I'd be in a very different situation going in to Loop 15.

So, some suggestions for how to tweak it for variety and balance, since this is my first real time using it:
1) Maybe she could have more than one deal active at a time? Would this be unbalancing? I understand the desire to make her a real challenge, but if I'm having to give up permanent progression in the sense of trained, active, useful Forsaken to get her state to anything other than "not making my whole team fucking useless", she still seems a bit much.
2) Maybe her deals could affect two of her attributes at once? That makes conveyance, difficult, though.
3) Maybe, if her current deal has something to do with difficulty of the Chosen for this Loop (Devil/Animalistic propaganda, empowering a Chosen) she could offer a different deal during the post-Final Battle training portion of the Loop? Or maybe during the training section of the Loop (and during skipped Loops) she could always offer the "stop draining Motivation" deal as this is the one players would want? It makes some logical in-world sense that she would stop offering the "don't provide Intelligence for the next Loop" deal after that point, because she's been providing intelligence already through most of the Loop at that point. And it makes no sense that she offers deals about empowering Chosen in loops where there are no actual Chosen.
4) Maybe, she could drain less Motivation from Animalistic/Undead Forsaken, just to balance the higher cost of restoring that Motivation? The same 1/3 modifier for them, and a 1/2 modifier for any Superior Forsaken? I'm not sure about the conveyance of this and it might push things too far the other way, though. I don't want her to be a pushover, I definitely want her to cause changes to my strategies.

I understand the desire to not have her help you vs. other bosses--she's got actual relationships with them, and I'm not at all looking to change that part. But overall her system is "using Forsaken sucks now, plus some other very minor penalties you won't notice because your whole team is at 0 Motivation all the time."

If anyone has different feedback and has actually played significant Loops with Splendor sabotaging you, please share, as I don't want to assume my feelings are universal. I don't know how many players actually reach double-digit Loops.

In the end, I think this and everything else is about making a fun challenge to the player and I'm not having much fun by having to sacrifice Forsaken I've had since early Loops just to make the rest of them usable. Of course, it's always your call.

If you want to see what this looks like for yourself CSdev I have put my current save in this post. I've also put some Saves from before the last time I did a save game purge as savesbeforevictory.sav. It's not really possible to get the one Forsaken who is allowed to Tantrum every day to line up with the Animalistic vulnerable cycle when I want it to. I have to feed a Forsaken to the breeding pit for every 2 days that I'm wanting to send out another Forsaken (besides the Demon Knight).

Last edited:

Nobody032

Sep 6, 2021
Temptation downtime action definitely seems to have higher priority right now than +50 one as SuperSkippy suggested. Chosen with 100T+ in each trauma doing temptation action when triggered. While giving +50 energy when not triggered.

Also To me personally meglomaniac really seems too easy. For other distortions you need to work around the t1 breaks which are not allowed but for megalomania you can get it somehow without even going for it. Just now I triggered megalomaniac on the undead chosen I decided to sacrifice and achievement farm without even trying while going for punisher%. Also for the final battle even though the fixed commander trigger can probably be annoying, I haven't yet ran into an issue with it.

So, I had Splendor in Loop 11 and Loop 14 (skipped 12-13 through warp but she still drained Motivation the whole time). I didn't try to trigger Megalomania in those loops for that reason. Of course, I'd like to trigger it for Loop 15 in the Victory fight.

I'm actually having real trouble with Loop 15, but not in the way where it'll be impossible to finish. Rather, I'm going to need to accept that I need to sacrifice more Forsaken, even some that I'd really like to keep around, to even be able to use mine. My roster of usable low-cost Forsaken is almost entirely Undead and Animalistic Forsaken. So, they regain Motivation at 1/3 the usual rate. However, Splendor still drains them at the same rate as the others. As such, I really can't get enough Motivation through training to get them to a usable state because a training session focused on Motivation restores about 40 or so for them, while costing all their Stamina. And by the time their Stamina comes back, two days after training, they've already pretty much lost the Motivation they gained. The only one that's consistently usable is Metalhead, my Demon Knight.

Splendor's Bargaining system is perhaps not as helpful as intended. I haven't looked in the code, but it seems like in Loops with Devils, she only seems to ever offer the "stop spreading propaganda about Devils and Animalistic" bargain. And, in the loops I warped through, she was offering deals about empowering Chosen that... probably didn't actually exist? And sometimes crashing the game? I know there's a priority system and that if Devils are in the Loop, they have the highest priority, but I have not actually seen her offer anything else in those four (two fights, two skipped) Loops. If she had ever offered the "stop draining Motivation" deal I'd be in a very different situation going in to Loop 15.

So, some suggestions for how to tweak it for variety and balance, since this is my first real time using it:
1) Maybe she could have more than one deal active at a time? Would this be unbalancing? I understand the desire to make her a real challenge, but if I'm having to give up permanent progression in the sense of trained, active, useful Forsaken to get her state to anything other than "not making my whole team fucking useless", she still seems a bit much.
2) Maybe her deals could affect two of her attributes at once? That makes conveyance, difficult, though.
3) Maybe, if her current deal has something to do with difficulty of the Chosen for this Loop (Devil/Animalistic propaganda, empowering a Chosen) she could offer a different deal during the post-Final Battle training portion of the Loop? Or maybe during the training section of the Loop (and during skipped Loops) she could always offer the "stop draining Motivation" deal as this is the one players would want? It makes some logical in-world sense that she would stop offering the "don't provide Intelligence for the next Loop" deal after that point, because she's been providing intelligence already through most of the Loop at that point. And it makes no sense that she offers deals about empowering Chosen in loops where there are no actual Chosen.
4) Maybe, she could drain less Motivation from Animalistic/Undead Forsaken, just to balance the higher cost of restoring that Motivation? The same 1/3 modifier for them, and a 1/2 modifier for any Superior Forsaken? I'm not sure about the conveyance of this and it might push things too far the other way, though. I don't want her to be a pushover, I definitely want her to cause changes to my strategies.

I understand the desire to not have her help you vs. other bosses--she's got actual relationships with them, and I'm not at all looking to change that part. But overall her system is "using Forsaken sucks now, plus some other very minor penalties you won't notice because your whole team is at 0 Motivation all the time."

If anyone has different feedback and has actually played significant Loops with Splendor sabotaging you, please share, as I don't want to assume my feelings are universal. I don't know how many players actually reach double-digit Loops.

In the end, I think this and everything else is about making a fun challenge to the player and I'm not having much fun by having to sacrifice Forsaken I've had since early Loops just to make the rest of them usable. Of course, it's always your call.

If you want to see what this looks like for yourself CSdev I have put my current save in this post. I've also put some Saves from before the last time I did a save game purge as savesbeforevictory.sav. It's not really possible to get the one Forsaken who is allowed to Tantrum every day to line up with the Animalistic vulnerable cycle when I want it to. I have to feed a Forsaken to the breeding pit every 2 days that I'm wanting to send out another Forsaken (besides the Demon Knight).
I don't have much experience with Splendor since in my last run my forsaken got bugged and stopped losing motivation for some reason but is it possible to maintain somewhat higher motivation going into loop 15 by using multiple different concerts from different forsaken? That was my plan for getting "ready" for the next loop + Sacrificing some forsaken if my forsaken didn't bug out. Also I had the motivation restore item and some% of angel bonus for that as well.

SuperSkippy

Oct 25, 2017
Temptation downtime action definitely seems to have higher priority right now than +50 one as SuperSkippy suggested. Chosen with 100T+ in each trauma doing temptation action when triggered. While giving +50 energy when not triggered.

Also To me personally meglomaniac really seems too easy. For other distortions you need to work around the t1 breaks which are not allowed but for megalomania you can get it somehow without even going for it. Just now I triggered megalomaniac on the undead chosen I decided to sacrifice and achievement farm without even trying while going for punisher%. Also for the final battle even though the fixed commander trigger can probably be annoying, I haven't yet ran into an issue with it.

I don't have much experience with Splendor since in my last run my forsaken got bugged and stopped losing motivation for some reason but is it possible to maintain somewhat higher motivation going into loop 15 by using multiple different concerts from different forsaken? That was my plan for getting "ready" for the next loop + Sacrificing some forsaken if my forsaken didn't bug out. Also I had the motivation restore item and some% of angel bonus for that as well.
Yes, that's one thing I've already thought to go back and try when I go back to the game. Even then, though, it gets you through the first 8-10 days, which is enough for a standard Loop to hit a big Orgy and start triggering T3s, but I'm not sure if it's enough for Victory. Also, the Pit has already taken all the Forsaken I wasn't planning on using, so even this will require "ruining" some highly useful Forsaken by increasing their Disgrace past utility.

Regarding Megalomania being easy to trigger--I guess I don't think very much about how difficult a break is to avoid ever since the Distortion Plan was added to the Info menu. If I set them after I get Psychic Reading, then click the green buttons and yellow buttons and don't ever click the red buttons, I get exactly the breaks I need. If I care a lot about making some of them dislike each other because I'm expecting some are usable and some will not be, then I put a bit more thought into what order I go in. Lately I've been doing more Distortion then all 4 T4 Breaks against Chosen that I don't expect to be usable, as you can get the Achievements for both (and the bonus EE for achieving Temptation/Rampage). Loop 11 and especially Loop 14 were very difficult though with Splendor doing her thing, Devil Chosen in both loops, and the Breeding Pit is getting quite full. I couldn't get enough Resolve damage vs. the Animalistic in Loop 14 to convert her so she became an hero. I didn't feel like reloading an earlier save to try something different there either (and still don't).

Last edited:

FieryMist

Apr 22, 2020
Personally I believe that Megalomania is balanced good enough by the fact that you have to use Second-in-Command for last battles. Probably the difference in difficulty perception is due to different playstyles and experience. Don`t forget that there is a difference between seasoned players and newcomers. The game is already harder than most others. Not complaining, however it definitely limits game exposure.

Omicronzeta

Nov 14, 2017
O found a minor bug. The item soul liquefaction adds a line saying "+x Evil Energy (dividends)" after the vignettes or the training report of the post city reports.

Note this dose not give you any extra evil energy at the start of the next loop

CSdev

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2020
Wait, using Megalomania a second time requires sending out your current second-in-command? That should probably be mentioned somewhere. Maybe the final battle description of the distortion should include that recruit will only be available if the second-in-command is either vacant, or participating in the battle (and use the same text regardless of occupancy). It might be a bit of a nasty surprise if someone isn't expecting the distortion behavior to change when using it a second time.
The "final battle behavior" section does warn you while you have a Second-in-Command, but I guess that could easily slip by a player who assumes that it'll just say the same thing it did in the previous loop. I'll add a note warning the player that the condition will be different in future loops.
CSdev There's something I've been ruminating on for a while, and definitely wouldn't be a priority, but I'm wondering how hard it would be to implement...how to phrase this...cosmetic changes to distortions? Some of them can be a little disturbing, or might not be the type of thing someone's into at all, so an option to leave them mechanically intact but change the name and text to something else, kinda like the less violence option in the options menu. I realize it'd be a lot more complex to do because distortions affect quite a few more things like vignettes though. I tend to shy away from Aversion myself just because I find it a little much, so having an alternative would be useful and also something to get excited about once the game is mechanically finished.
Yes, I'm definitely okay with adding more content toggles like that in the future.
CSdev One thing that I've only just discovered that was confusing me, is that Chosen will always prepare to fly on a capture when the battle is "complete".
I was scratching my head trying to figure out how and why chosen were flying after only like one capture until I found it by trawling this forum. I couldn't find info about this in the guides included (maybe I just didn't look hard enough?) so perhaps adding a tip or info about that might be helpful. Figuring that out has actually drastically improved my approach to fights.
The rule is described in step 2 of the guide.txt file. I suppose it'd be good for the explanation to appear in-game, but I'd have to think about a good non-intrusive-but-still-easily-noticed spot for it.
In that case this code in Project.class may actually be a bit off (according to Java Decompile GUI--no idea how it shows on your end).

This code, based on how I view it working, is setting the weights for all Actions 0-20 to a comparitively low floor if capped.booleanValue() is true, right? The weight in particular for Actions 16-20 will be set to 1T if I'm reading this right? ON JDGUI, it starts on line 15572 but I have no way to tell how accurate that is for the actual source code, or if I'm even reading it properly.
Code:
      for (i5 = 0; i5 < 21; i5++) {
        if (capped.booleanValue())
          if (i5 == 0) {
            actionWeights[k][i5] = Long.valueOf(10L);
          } else if (i5 < 5) {
            actionWeights[k][i5] = Long.valueOf(100L);
          } else if (i5 < 9) {
            actionWeights[k][i5] = Long.valueOf(1000L);
          } else if (i5 < 13) {
            actionWeights[k][i5] = Long.valueOf(1000000L);
          } else if (i5 < 17) {
            actionWeights[k][i5] = Long.valueOf(1000000000L);
          } else {
            actionWeights[k][i5] = Long.valueOf(1000000000000L);
          }
        w.corruptionTierSummary[k][i5] = actionWeights[k][i5].longValue();
So won't the Temptation distortion almost always trigger { if capped.booleanValue() } since it has higher weight, since its weight isn't capped? Its weight is 5*(sum of all Traumas) + 2.5*(ANGST). Similarly for Rampage & Megalomania, which are uncapped at the same value if activated.

capped is initialized in my view on line 15552 as false and set to true on line 15555 if any element of actionWeights[][] is greater than 10T. So for Forsaken running around with >10T actionWeights[][], which is only 2T total Trauma (plus some number of ANGST) they will do the Distortion-related action, which is the changed behavior that Nobody032 noticed.

Of course I could be totally wrong on this, my view of your code comes from within JDGUI, the usual disclaimers, etc. But if I'm right you can just change "i5<21" to "i5<17". Well, you'd still have to worry about the calculations in Downtime() exceeding Java's Long datatype at, uh, what is it? 9 Peta-? 9 Exa-? It's around one of those values--but you've got to code for that anyway since you've already left actionWeights[21:25][] uncapped.
Ah, I see. You're right, there's only a fairly small range of damage values where the Chosen will properly pick T4 actions over the Temptation- and Rampancy-related ones. I'll make sure that the overflow failsafe takes Distortion downtime actions into account in R54.

I'll preface this by saying that Splendor is already at her most difficult when you face her in Loop 10, and making her your Second-in-Command on top of that is basically taking the "just fuck my shit up" option. All the work you've done to raise the Megalomania achievement is pretty much wasted until you can swap her out for another boss.

On top of that, this is the part of the game which really is meant to put pressure on you to trim your roster of Forsaken. 14 Forsaken really is a lot! Every Forsaken you keep around adds to the challenge of managing them all, and in exchange, they provide you tools for making future loops easier. I want the question of "is the higher difficulty now worth the benefit I'll get in future loops" to be a persistent consideration right up into the endgame. If that's not a fun question to consider, then that's a more fundamental game design question that I have to confront. I don't want it to be optimal for players to be juggling dozens of Forsaken by the time they reach the endgame.

That said, you're also right about some mechanics not working as intended, and there are definitely some things that will be adjusted for R54.

So, the concession that Splendor asks for cycles from day to day (ideally skipping concessions that are impossible - but the bug with buffing nonexistent Chosen resulted from an error there). The benefit she grants in return depends only on the current game situation - it doesn't cycle from day to day. My goal was that she would always offer the most impactful benefit for the current situation. I'm not sure if you've peeked at the code for this, but for the sake of the discussion, I'll write it out in pseudocode here. She basically goes down a list like this:

1) If this is a boss loop: do not offer a deal.
2) If there's a Devil Chosen (or, in future releases, a Mechanical Chosen): offer to remove the species-based damage penalty.
3) If the loop isn't complete yet: offer to remove the Motivation penalty.
4) If the loop isn't complete yet: offer to fight seriously when you deploy her.
5) If there's an Undead Chosen: offer to remove the species-based damage penalty.
6) Offer to remove next loop's difficulty increase.
7) Offer to remove the species-based damage penalty (actually, this one ended up being redundant - it should never come up).
8) Offer to allow herself to be trained.
9) Do not offer a deal.

Any offers that she's already giving you because of other bosses being defeated are skipped, and the ones related to Chosen species are also skipped if the final battle has already happened (because they aren't Chosen anymore).

In the next release, I've changed point (6) so that she won't offer it if the next loop is a boss loop (since that effectively amounts to offering a bonus for a boss loop) and she also won't offer it if you've unlocked the warp condition (because it's useless to decrease the difficulty of a loop you'll probably be skipping anyway).

I'm thinking that I should also replace point (7) with another chance for her to remove the Motivation penalty. That way, when you're heading through warp loops, or when you're on your way to a boss loop, you can still leverage the bargain system to make things easier for the coming challenge.

One other thing: I'm also going to have the "agree to fight seriously" and "remove species-based damage penalty" bargains expire immediately after the final battle, in order to allow the player to make a new bargain as soon as they're not getting any benefit from the old one.

If you want to see what this looks like for yourself CSdev I have put my current save in this post. I've also put some Saves from before the last time I did a save game purge as savesbeforevictory.sav. It's not really possible to get the one Forsaken who is allowed to Tantrum every day to line up with the Animalistic vulnerable cycle when I want it to. I have to feed a Forsaken to the breeding pit for every 2 days that I'm wanting to send out another Forsaken (besides the Demon Knight).
Of course, it's also possible that the Motivation penalty is just too impactful compared to the other 3 penalties right now. During my playtests, I always felt like the half damage to Devils was hurting me more than the Motivation drain, but then I also only kept a smaller roster or 6 or 7 Forsaken. I guess I could actually have Splendor's decision of what bargain to offer depend on the size of your Forsaken roster as well. I just feel like letting her have multiple bargains active at once would make her too weak.
O found a minor bug. The item soul liquefaction adds a line saying "+x Evil Energy (dividends)" after the vignettes or the training report of the post city reports.

Note this dose not give you any extra evil energy at the start of the next loop
That's right, I never got around to fixing this bug. I've just now fixed it for R54.

zyty1221

Nov 12, 2023
So after experimenting a little bit I've managed to get the situation to look like this at about day 30. 1715159386675.png
I tried it before and the biggest issue with doing it this way is that the progress on a few of the total breaks is just taking forever. I try to finesse it to ensure I have loads of surround turns to actually force the surrounding people to use their abilities but I'm just kind of bad at it. Is there a strategy/commander set-up that is best for this?

fenyx

Jun 16, 2017
So after experimenting a little bit I've managed to get the situation to look like this at about day 30. View attachment 3614526
I tried it before and the biggest issue with doing it this way is that the progress on a few of the total breaks is just taking forever. I try to finesse it to ensure I have loads of surround turns to actually force the surrounding people to use their abilities but I'm just kind of bad at it. Is there a strategy/commander set-up that is best for this?
that looks like a nightmare
for me easiest t4 is pleasure, and morality (they just happen naturally even if they fuck one of your tries sometimes) drain is a drag , and I cant trigger t4 dignity consistently for some reason

SuperSkippy

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, I see. You're right, there's only a fairly small range of damage values where the Chosen will properly pick T4 actions over the Temptation- and Rampancy-related ones. I'll make sure that the overflow failsafe takes Distortion downtime actions into account in R54.
Glad I could help! I've just been playing around it because I thought it was the intended behavior.

I'll preface this by saying that Splendor is already at her most difficult when you face her in Loop 10, and making her your Second-in-Command on top of that is basically taking the "just fuck my shit up" option. All the work you've done to raise the Megalomania achievement is pretty much wasted until you can swap her out for another boss.

On top of that, this is the part of the game which really is meant to put pressure on you to trim your roster of Forsaken. 14 Forsaken really is a lot! Every Forsaken you keep around adds to the challenge of managing them all, and in exchange, they provide you tools for making future loops easier. I want the question of "is the higher difficulty now worth the benefit I'll get in future loops" to be a persistent consideration right up into the endgame. If that's not a fun question to consider, then that's a more fundamental game design question that I have to confront. I don't want it to be optimal for players to be juggling dozens of Forsaken by the time they reach the endgame.

That said, you're also right about some mechanics not working as intended, and there are definitely some things that will be adjusted for R54.
I don't think it's a lot, actually. At Loop 15, I've fought close to the minimum number of Chosen (I went into Loop 9 to pick up a few more despite being able to skip it, knowing I would soon need... extras).

3 in Loop 1 (standard)
3 in Loop 3 (2 standard 1 Superior)
3 in Loop 5 (1 Undead 2 Standard)
3 in Loop 7 (I think this was Undead--Superior--Standard)
3 in Loop 9 (Animalistic--Undead--Superior, I think)
3 in Loop 10 (Splendor boss fight so 2 Undead)
3 in Loop 11 (Devil, Undead, Standard I think)
3 in Loop 14 (Devil, Animalistic, Superior I believe)

So that means I got a total of 24 from minimal loops, which means I've sacrificed 9. Most of those were after Splendor joined the team. I usually keep a minimum of two "worthless" Forsaken around to dance for the amusement of their sisterhood (Grand Concert) but Splendor has eaten all of them.

The 15 I have are all for specific purposes. I have 3 for basic Circumstance damage (since Tempted can switch all 4 are covered). I have 8 for applying the most useful Punisher effects to others. (All 4 Circumstance bonuses, Trauma bonus, Motivation bonus, +Stamina bonus, -EE cost bonus, +Stamina regen bonus, +Training Consent bonus, some applying multiples of these). The other 2 are Devil Forsaken, which I have kept because I haven't used them before and want to test their effectiveness, but loops quickly get so short that I don't often get the chance.

I remember the first contest we had someone commented a bit incredulously at how many Forsaken I sacrificed. I think most players don't like giving them up like that. Each one represents at least some level of effort. Personally I accept which ones are going to be useful and which aren't right after I get Psychic Reading and all 3 Chosen join the battle. I give the ones I keep flavorful names and I give the ones I'm not keeping shit names.

So, the concession that Splendor asks for cycles from day to day (ideally skipping concessions that are impossible - but the bug with buffing nonexistent Chosen resulted from an error there). The benefit she grants in return depends only on the current game situation - it doesn't cycle from day to day. My goal was that she would always offer the most impactful benefit for the current situation. I'm not sure if you've peeked at the code for this, but for the sake of the discussion, I'll write it out in pseudocode here. She basically goes down a list like this:

1) If this is a boss loop: do not offer a deal.
2) If there's a Devil Chosen (or, in future releases, a Mechanical Chosen): offer to remove the species-based damage penalty.
3) If the loop isn't complete yet: offer to remove the Motivation penalty.
4) If the loop isn't complete yet: offer to fight seriously when you deploy her.
5) If there's an Undead Chosen: offer to remove the species-based damage penalty.
6) Offer to remove next loop's difficulty increase.
7) Offer to remove the species-based damage penalty (actually, this one ended up being redundant - it should never come up).
8) Offer to allow herself to be trained.
9) Do not offer a deal.

Any offers that she's already giving you because of other bosses being defeated are skipped, and the ones related to Chosen species are also skipped if the final battle has already happened (because they aren't Chosen anymore).

In the next release, I've changed point (6) so that she won't offer it if the next loop is a boss loop (since that effectively amounts to offering a bonus for a boss loop) and she also won't offer it if you've unlocked the warp condition (because it's useless to decrease the difficulty of a loop you'll probably be skipping anyway).

I'm thinking that I should also replace point (7) with another chance for her to remove the Motivation penalty. That way, when you're heading through warp loops, or when you're on your way to a boss loop, you can still leverage the bargain system to make things easier for the coming challenge.

One other thing: I'm also going to have the "agree to fight seriously" and "remove species-based damage penalty" bargains expire immediately after the final battle, in order to allow the player to make a new bargain as soon as they're not getting any benefit from the old one.
I have not--the only time I was really motivated to examine the code was for Downtimes because everyone kept asking how they worked, and for items to get a convenient list of all of them for the wiki. Knowing the code for Downtimes is how I was able to point out the error noted above.

The changes you mentioned would go a long way towards making it more fun for me personally. I agree on the boss fight and might add something extra: if the next loop is a boss fight, the only offers she'll give will all strengthen that loop. It would be an excellent opportunity for some flavour text as well and give players a chance to fight double-buffed bosses (if they take one offer during the combat portion and one offer during the training portion of the loop). It would also be sensible as she really wants to help Victory (and, eventually, the other Boss Chosen).

Consider also mainly for ease of conveyance making all offers expire after the Final Battle (with effects on the next Loop remaining), with the possible exception of Next Loop Difficulty.

Of course, it's also possible that the Motivation penalty is just too impactful compared to the other 3 penalties right now. During my playtests, I always felt like the half damage to Devils was hurting me more than the Motivation drain, but then I also only kept a smaller roster or 6 or 7 Forsaken. I guess I could actually have Splendor's decision of what bargain to offer depend on the size of your Forsaken roster as well. I just feel like letting her have multiple bargains active at once would make her too weak.
I honestly have no point of comparison since she only ever offers the Species Damage bargain. The last time I posted "hey I can't beat this Devil plase halp" resulted in the whole Bargain system because she was always doing both. Testing what it'd be like without Motivation drain and with the Species Damage penalty off would require a totally new run that I don't have the energy or time to do.

For now, I'm just going to cheat my way past Loop 15 as I want to try some Angel Chosen and I don't feel like giving up my game progress to do so. I'll look forward to after the changes mentioned above giving Victory an honest shot with a refreshed team next release.

Last edited:
3.80 star(s) 52 Votes