Companion Of Darkness game by .

Updated: 2024-04-20
Game/Creator: Companion of Darkness / Berkili4 - - - -
Modder: MurrayMods -
Mod Version: 8
Game Version: Ch. 8
Language: English

Features:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Installation:

Change-Log:

2024-04-20: Mod for Companion Of Darkness Ch. 8 updated!

COD1.png COD2.png COD3.png COD4.png COD5.png

Last edited:

Whitewolftb

Mar 31, 2023
View attachment 3109046

Overview:
I've made a Walkthrough Mod for
Companion Of Darkness game by .

Updated: 2023-11-22
Game/Creator: Companion of Darkness / Berkili4 - - - -
Modder: MurrayMods -
Mod Version: 6
Game Version: Ch. 6
Language: English

Features:

Installation:

Change-Log:

Is this usable with android version or just pc?

Reactions: John McGarret

Slickjack

May 29, 2020
TO: MurrayMods

I thank you for making this walkthrough mod. I found it very helpful in my journey through the first six chapters of this game. I noticed that the developer of the original files credited someone with proofreading the game - presumably the script.rpy file. I found the mention unbelievable as few games on F95 call for more editing than the product I played. I found the script a veritable cornucopia of wrong tenses, malapropisms (especially in terms of homonyms), and general ignorance of English language usage. Since the script.rpy file I used was not the one offered by the developer, but yours, I wondered about the source of the file you doctored to create the useful walkthrough mod I had enjoyed. I am not accusing you of purposefully introducing errors in your script.rpy file. However, I wonder if you might have perpetuated language errors from previous iterations of the script while enlarging the mod to encompass the extension of the story so that we are using a script.rpy that precedes the attention of a proofreader.

I figure, were I maintaining a mod of this sort, I would simply work out the modifications for the new chapter and append it to the existing modded script file - a simple cut and paste operation. Unfortunately, this means that changes to the script.rpy file from the developer for preceding chapters would not be reflected in the mod's expanded script.

So, what is the situation? Are we reading a script that has benefitted from a proofreader? Was the proofreading only done for the developer's native language and unrelated to English errors we see?

- sj

MurrayMods

Modder
Nov 28, 2022
TO: MurrayMods

I thank you for making this walkthrough mod. I found it very helpful in my journey through the first six chapters of this game. I noticed that the developer of the original files credited someone with proofreading the game - presumably the script.rpy file. I found the mention unbelievable as few games on F95 call for more editing than the product I played. I found the script a veritable cornucopia of wrong tenses, malapropisms (especially in terms of homonyms), and general ignorance of English language usage. Since the script.rpy file I used was not the one offered by the developer, but yours, I wondered about the source of the file you doctored to create the useful walkthrough mod I had enjoyed. I am not accusing you of purposefully introducing errors in your script.rpy file. However, I wonder if you might have perpetuated language errors from previous iterations of the script while enlarging the mod to encompass the extension of the story so that we are using a script.rpy that precedes the attention of a proofreader.

I figure, were I maintaining a mod of this sort, I would simply work out the modifications for the new chapter and append it to the existing modded script file - a simple cut and paste operation. Unfortunately, this means that changes to the script.rpy file from the developer for preceding chapters would not be reflected in the mod's expanded script.

So, what is the situation? Are we reading a script that has benefitted from a proofreader? Was the proofreading only done for the developer's native language and unrelated to English errors we see?

- sj
Dear Slickjack,
Since you have so kindly brought up this topic, allow me to express my point of view, perhaps controversial. In my opinion, the modder's task is absolutely not to modify a single letter of the original script of the novel. Even with its mistakes, sometimes blunders, it is what the author wrote and neither I nor anyone has the right to change it.
Having expressed this, it sometimes becomes difficult to overlook at least the most egregious errors and I am tempted to correct them. On the other hand, games like Companion Of Darkness have tens of thousands of lines of code and I simply don't have the time nor the ability to proofread such colosal script.
So, if it's not to correct the murder of the English language, what is the modder's task? Only to offer a guide, but that guide is put together according to the modder's criteria. Therefore, different modders will have different approaches to the same game.
Let me teach you a little about the mechanics of developing a Mod. Maybe I'll get a reprimand for this, from the association of Maggicians and Modders (or M&M for short).
Files like script.rpy are provided in the game that the player downloads and installs. The modder edits those files. In my case, since I am not one of The Big Six (Sancho, KoGa, Joker, LaikDink, Zoey Raven, Scrappy) with base software and a great knowledge of Python, I simply try to interpret what the developer wanted to achieve. I then paint a decision a different color (green or red) so that the player has more information when deciding which path to take. Nothing else. Not a single letter was changed.
Until I come across games like Fake Father that is developed in Spanish and translated into English. I myself, having Spanish as my first language and English as my second language, have a hard time deciding which is worse in this god forsaken game.
But Fake Father is a topic for the next debate. I hope I have clarified any doubts, otherwise it was interesting and pleasant to discuss these topics with an experienced connoisseur of the English language.
Best regards,

Murray.

Strijoca

Jul 20, 2017
Thank you so much for the Walkthrough mod!
While I was searching for a Pseudonym for the MC, a random thought came to me: "Wasn't there a WT for this game?"
Thanks again for this mod.

Last edited:

Slickjack

May 29, 2020
Dear Murray,

Thank you for quick response (post #11) to my query from last month (post #10). Please accept my apologies for the tardiness of this reply.

In the immortal words of Strother Martin, "What we have here is failure to communicate." More appropriately, my failure to make clear what I was asking you in my post #10. The real question is whether the script.rpy file included in your mod benefitted from the 'alleged' proofreading touted by the developer, Berkili4. I did not accuse you of making any dialogue changes to the script.rpy file, which was apparently not made clear in my original post. It seems I was less clear than I had intended. Allow me to introduce a couple of possible scenarios by which your script.rpy file might not reflect whatever proofreading the developer had (hopefully) purchased.

1) The developer's script was proofread, but only for his (Berkili4's) native language. Let's say Berkili4 is a native speaker of Serbo-Croatian, more specifically Montenegrin. Given the fact that the language exists and has been in existence for some unspecified, but lengthy period of time, I assume it is a perfectly suitable language for inhabitants of Montenegro and other southern Slavic areas. It does not, however, lend itself to worldwide marketing. The same could be said of many other languages. I have to assume that someone smart enough to put together a game in a scripting language would not make so many excruciating errors in his native language therefore, he must be a non-native user of English. Chances are, he is not a user of English at all. If this is the scenario of the 'alleged' proofreading, then it stands to reason that the English script.rpy file would not show any benefit of having been proofread by anyone as cleaning up the Montenegrin script wouldn't likely be appreciatively reflected in the GoogleTranslate English version.

2) The developer is being scammed by his proofreader and the script.rpy has not been proofread by anyone in any language. While it might sound farfetched for this to the cause of the problem, I also suppose there are still people who are waiting to hear back from the "Nigerian Prince".

3) The script.rpy file is being proofread, but only after publication here on F95, or Patreon or whatever site provides financial support to the developer. I think I alluded to this scenario in my prior post (#10), undoubtedly too vaguely. In this scenario, let's say the first four chapters of "Companion of Darkness" have been released to the world at large and some enterprising would-be proofreader contacts the developer and offers to provide proofreading for a nominal or more than nominal fee. He then proceeds to clean up the English grammar, spelling, and usage to an acceptable degree. The proofreader need not make any changes to actual operation of the script.rpy file. The only changes would be in the dialogue - no changes to variable increments or values. There wouldn't even be changes to the line numbers, if you're old enough to remember when program files always had line numbers (Hint: there was a time when every line of a program or data file was on its own Hollerith Card). So, under this scenario, chapters 1-4 have been proofread, and then chapter five is completed. The developer tacks the chapter five additions on the end of the proofread chapters 1-4. The proofreader, having renegotiated with the developer, takes the previously published chapter five and does his work and appends the cleaned-up version of chapter five to his existing (cleaned-up) version of chapters 1-4, resulting in a clean version of those chapters. The clean file is then provided to the developer. Meanwhile, MurrayMods (presumably still a member in good standing of M&M) has kindly provided to the general public a walkthrough mod of chapters 1-4. Since, operationally, when chapter five is provided to him there is no reason to change what he has already edited for the preceding chapters. Murray, in an act of human kindness, applies his magic to the chapter five script.rpy additions and appends it to his previously completed script.rpy file and generously provides that file to the rest of us lazy slobs who can't be bothered to open the existing script.rpy file from the developer and follow along in the script to determine what is the better or best choice to make when actually going through the VN. The result is that we lazy slobs don't benefit from the proofreading that has been applied to chapters 1-4. Under this scenario, the proofread (and presumably cleaned-up) dialogues would be one installment behind the actual script when released. When chapter six was released, then, chapters 1-5 would reflect the benefits of having been edited by the proofreader while chapter six would still be in an excruciating state. MurrayMods, being the generous and kindhearted soul we all know him to be, would get the chapter six additions marked in green and red, append his revised chapter six to his existing chapters 1-5 script.rpy file and post it to the lazy slobs (us!) as quickly as humanely possible. Once again, none of the six chapters Murray has provided the lazy slobs would benefit from the developer's attempt to provide proofreading services to the users of MurrayMods' useful walkthrough.

My personal opinion, based upon my own life experience, is that scenario three is the most likely. One might ask, "Why would the developer only obtain proofreading services after he has already released his excruciating English script.rpy file to his supporters and the lazy slobs on F95?" Well, there are a couple of reasons. The first is that the developer wants to really cash-in on his creation by getting it completed and released via Steam. While Valve is known for taking a healthy chunk of the proceeds from each sale, even the remainder provided to the developer could possibly result in a life changing amount of money. Since Berkili4 isn't likely to approach Steam with his product until completed, or nearly completed, the one installment behind proofreading schedule isn't a big deal in terms of reaching the goal of getting Steam to pick up the distribution of the game. The developer has no pressing need to get the script.rpy file proofread before the latest installment is provided to his supporters and the lazy slobs on F95. The real pot of gold is waiting for him at the rainbow's end; the release of the VN on Steam. The second is that the developer is constrained by either his own finances or time, or both simultaneously. Picture Berkili4 as barely getting along in a dead-end job, living a hand-to-mouth existence. He needs to collect/earn the pittance provided by his supporters on Patreon or SubscribeStar to fund such expenditures as maintaining and improving his computer(s), purchasing assets used in the renders of his VN, and paying that gouging proofreader. Of course he is going to release each installment as quickly as he possibly can! That's the only way he has to fund the investments needed to progress towards the end of the rainbow!

Since you made the admission that your first language is Spanish, I wonder if you could answer a Spanish language usage question for me. I have noticed, in VN's that I assume are written by Spanish language users, that young MC's invariably refer to their middle-aged female acquaintances as Mrs. Maria, ie. the title or honorific and the given name of the woman concerned - in Spanish, I suppose this would be Senora Maria (with a tilde ~ over the n). In English usage, we would refer to her as Mrs. Rodriguez, the title or honorific with surname of the individual. In English usage, using the given name denotes a level of familiarity which conflicts with the more formal use of the title or honorific. My experience, aside from English, is in my nearly faded schoolboy French. In French, one wouldn't say Madame Marie, instead it would be Madame duPont, or whatever the surname is. I seem to recall formality being more important in French than English, but as previously stated, my knowledge is limited by being only classroom instruction instead of actual real-world experience. So, do Spanish speaking high school students routinely refer to their best friends' mothers as Mrs. Maria?

Once again, I want to make perfectly clear that I found your Walkthrough Mod very useful and evidence of your kind and generous heart in providing it to us lazy slobs of F95. I repeat, I did not intend to accuse you or even imply that you have made any changes to the dialogue in creating your walkthrough mod. If anything, it could be that you have simply failed to update the dialogue in your versions of the script.rpy file to the proofread versions possibly being released by the developer.

- sj

MurrayMods

Modder
Nov 28, 2022
Dear Murray,

Thank you for quick response (post #11) to my query from last month (post #10). Please accept my apologies for the tardiness of this reply.

In the immortal words of Strother Martin, "What we have here is failure to communicate." More appropriately, my failure to make clear what I was asking you in my post #10. The real question is whether the script.rpy file included in your mod benefitted from the 'alleged' proofreading touted by the developer, Berkili4. I did not accuse you of making any dialogue changes to the script.rpy file, which was apparently not made clear in my original post. It seems I was less clear than I had intended. Allow me to introduce a couple of possible scenarios by which your script.rpy file might not reflect whatever proofreading the developer had (hopefully) purchased.

1) The developer's script was proofread, but only for his (Berkili4's) native language. Let's say Berkili4 is a native speaker of Serbo-Croatian, more specifically Montenegrin. Given the fact that the language exists and has been in existence for some unspecified, but lengthy period of time, I assume it is a perfectly suitable language for inhabitants of Montenegro and other southern Slavic areas. It does not, however, lend itself to worldwide marketing. The same could be said of many other languages. I have to assume that someone smart enough to put together a game in a scripting language would not make so many excruciating errors in his native language therefore, he must be a non-native user of English. Chances are, he is not a user of English at all. If this is the scenario of the 'alleged' proofreading, then it stands to reason that the English script.rpy file would not show any benefit of having been proofread by anyone as cleaning up the Montenegrin script wouldn't likely be appreciatively reflected in the GoogleTranslate English version.

2) The developer is being scammed by his proofreader and the script.rpy has not been proofread by anyone in any language. While it might sound farfetched for this to the cause of the problem, I also suppose there are still people who are waiting to hear back from the "Nigerian Prince".

3) The script.rpy file is being proofread, but only after publication here on F95, or Patreon or whatever site provides financial support to the developer. I think I alluded to this scenario in my prior post (#10), undoubtedly too vaguely. In this scenario, let's say the first four chapters of "Companion of Darkness" have been released to the world at large and some enterprising would-be proofreader contacts the developer and offers to provide proofreading for a nominal or more than nominal fee. He then proceeds to clean up the English grammar, spelling, and usage to an acceptable degree. The proofreader need not make any changes to actual operation of the script.rpy file. The only changes would be in the dialogue - no changes to variable increments or values. There wouldn't even be changes to the line numbers, if you're old enough to remember when program files always had line numbers (Hint: there was a time when every line of a program or data file was on its own Hollerith Card). So, under this scenario, chapters 1-4 have been proofread, and then chapter five is completed. The developer tacks the chapter five additions on the end of the proofread chapters 1-4. The proofreader, having renegotiated with the developer, takes the previously published chapter five and does his work and appends the cleaned-up version of chapter five to his existing (cleaned-up) version of chapters 1-4, resulting in a clean version of those chapters. The clean file is then provided to the developer. Meanwhile, MurrayMods (presumably still a member in good standing of M&M) has kindly provided to the general public a walkthrough mod of chapters 1-4. Since, operationally, when chapter five is provided to him there is no reason to change what he has already edited for the preceding chapters. Murray, in an act of human kindness, applies his magic to the chapter five script.rpy additions and appends it to his previously completed script.rpy file and generously provides that file to the rest of us lazy slobs who can't be bothered to open the existing script.rpy file from the developer and follow along in the script to determine what is the better or best choice to make when actually going through the VN. The result is that we lazy slobs don't benefit from the proofreading that has been applied to chapters 1-4. Under this scenario, the proofread (and presumably cleaned-up) dialogues would be one installment behind the actual script when released. When chapter six was released, then, chapters 1-5 would reflect the benefits of having been edited by the proofreader while chapter six would still be in an excruciating state. MurrayMods, being the generous and kindhearted soul we all know him to be, would get the chapter six additions marked in green and red, append his revised chapter six to his existing chapters 1-5 script.rpy file and post it to the lazy slobs (us!) as quickly as humanely possible. Once again, none of the six chapters Murray has provided the lazy slobs would benefit from the developer's attempt to provide proofreading services to the users of MurrayMods' useful walkthrough.

My personal opinion, based upon my own life experience, is that scenario three is the most likely. One might ask, "Why would the developer only obtain proofreading services after he has already released his excruciating English script.rpy file to his supporters and the lazy slobs on F95?" Well, there are a couple of reasons. The first is that the developer wants to really cash-in on his creation by getting it completed and released via Steam. While Valve is known for taking a healthy chunk of the proceeds from each sale, even the remainder provided to the developer could possibly result in a life changing amount of money. Since Berkili4 isn't likely to approach Steam with his product until completed, or nearly completed, the one installment behind proofreading schedule isn't a big deal in terms of reaching the goal of getting Steam to pick up the distribution of the game. The developer has no pressing need to get the script.rpy file proofread before the latest installment is provided to his supporters and the lazy slobs on F95. The real pot of gold is waiting for him at the rainbow's end; the release of the VN on Steam. The second is that the developer is constrained by either his own finances or time, or both simultaneously. Picture Berkili4 as barely getting along in a dead-end job, living a hand-to-mouth existence. He needs to collect/earn the pittance provided by his supporters on Patreon or SubscribeStar to fund such expenditures as maintaining and improving his computer(s), purchasing assets used in the renders of his VN, and paying that gouging proofreader. Of course he is going to release each installment as quickly as he possibly can! That's the only way he has to fund the investments needed to progress towards the end of the rainbow!

Since you made the admission that your first language is Spanish, I wonder if you could answer a Spanish language usage question for me. I have noticed, in VN's that I assume are written by Spanish language users, that young MC's invariably refer to their middle-aged female acquaintances as Mrs. Maria, ie. the title or honorific and the given name of the woman concerned - in Spanish, I suppose this would be Senora Maria (with a tilde ~ over the n). In English usage, we would refer to her as Mrs. Rodriguez, the title or honorific with surname of the individual. In English usage, using the given name denotes a level of familiarity which conflicts with the more formal use of the title or honorific. My experience, aside from English, is in my nearly faded schoolboy French. In French, one wouldn't say Madame Marie, instead it would be Madame duPont, or whatever the surname is. I seem to recall formality being more important in French than English, but as previously stated, my knowledge is limited by being only classroom instruction instead of actual real-world experience. So, do Spanish speaking high school students routinely refer to their best friends' mothers as Mrs. Maria?

Once again, I want to make perfectly clear that I found your Walkthrough Mod very useful and evidence of your kind and generous heart in providing it to us lazy slobs of F95. I repeat, I did not intend to accuse you or even imply that you have made any changes to the dialogue in creating your walkthrough mod. If anything, it could be that you have simply failed to update the dialogue in your versions of the script.rpy file to the proofread versions possibly being released by the developer.

- sj
Dear Slickjack,
Thank you very much for responding to my post and for continuing this conversation. First of all, let me clarify that if there was a problem in communication it was surely caused by my poor understanding of the language and not by your way of expressing yourself.
Second and much more important, please don't tell me that the Nigerian Prince was a scam. Years and years wasted waiting for my prince...
You raise very interesting issues in your response (topics that are continually debated in the imposing and sacred halls of M&M) and I intend to answer all of them and continue debating with you if you can dedicate some of your very valuable time to me. I'll probably go around the bush and answer something else that's on my mind but wasn't written by you. Age problems.
But, if it's okay with you, I would like to continue this conversation privately and not bother players who may be waiting for some more specific comments on the Companion of Darkness Mod.
I will write my next message directly to your personal profile on F95. It's a proven method of exchanging DMs that I use with other players.
Best regards,

Murray.

Konstantinus

Engaged Member
Feb 25, 2019
I then paint a decision a different color (green or red) so that the player has more information when deciding which path to take.
Okay but what does red mean? Because it is kind of self explaining highlighting the best choices in a colour but now we have two colours without explenation.
Is now red meaning the worst path or the best path with neglectable outcome?

MurrayMods

Modder
Nov 28, 2022
Okay but what does red mean? Because it is kind of self explaining highlighting the best choices in a colour but now we have two colours without explenation.
Is now red meaning the worst path or the best path with neglectable outcome?
Dear Konstantinus,
Thank you very much for your comments and for your interest in the topic. As I mentioned in other posts, I can only comment on my way of approaching a Mod and my experience both as a modder and as a player.
An option that has the font color red means the worst possible outcome for that decision. But that decision can impact the character, the event or the game.
For example, it is possible that a decision has 3 options, the first adds points to a character's statistics, the second subtracts points and the third option is neutral. My Mod will obviously change the color of the font of the first option to green, the second option to red and the third option will remain with the original color (normally white).
Lately I have been improving my Mods to offer the player more information. For example, in games where the amount of points per character is important, I show it in the option. For example, an original decision could be:

Kiss Alice.
Reject Alice.

After applying the Mod it would look like this:

Kiss Alice. (Alice Love +2 = 12)
Reject Alice. (Alice Love -8 = 2 Close Alice's path)

There are games that have the Game Over feature implemented. An decision that originally looks like this:

Hug Richard.
Shoot Richard in the face.

After applying the Mod it could look like this:

Hug Richard.
Shoot Richard in the face. (Game Over)

As shown, these guides depend on countless factors. The first of all being the objective that the Modder wants to achieve. In my case, the objective of my Mods is that the player can maximize all the routes and obtain the best possible results for all the characters (within the original development of the game) and all the scenes with said characters without having to replay the game.
Sometimes it is simply not possible to achieve this result. There are games that have characters whose routes are incompatible. You can follow one or the other but not both at the same time.
If this is the case, I do my best to warn the player of this condition. Whatever the scenario, all the original decisions of the game are maintained, some are highlighted.
I hope I have shed some light on this topic and that you continue downloading and implementing my Mods.
Best regards,

Murray.

Darius567

Sep 12, 2021
Where's the Android port tho? Also thanks for creating the mod Murray you're the best

Edit: Well I find the Android port with mod which is from Koga3 (Credits to him for making the Android port and here's the link):
And there's also from Darkassasin just search Darkassasin wixsite and type Companion of Darkness and there you can find it.

Last edited: