RoryTate

May 15, 2018
I almost always avoid 0.1 releases, but this is Philly so I trusted there would be a lot of content and effort already there, which turned out to be the case. I'll put most of my comments in a spoiler tag, since they go into quite a bit of gameplay detail, but I have to make special mention of that awesome opening cinematic! That was a perfect fit I must say, and really set the mood for what was to come, thematically, visually, and musically.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Overall, I'm definitely looking forward to more! This is an incredible first release, and really showcases Philly's strength in visual storytelling. There's no one else even close to this level of quality at this time.

RoryTate

May 15, 2018
Please, oh please, don't append dialog to the end of the line. Because as my finger presses space, my eyes swivel to the start of the line. And if the text is the same I need to read it again before getting to the new addition. Which is annoying (like a stone stuck in your shoe) and disorienting (like an echo inside your brain).
Seconded. For those of us who play on Instant Text Speed, multi-sentence fragments like this are the bane of immersion. I like to feel as though I'm reading a book when playing a VN, and this can definitely distract from that and take you out of the story.

Reactions: Rhaegar Targaryen
U

User_202931

And the big 3 were born.

I have so much things to learn from you guys.

I think yours is the best for now. You deserve your money. Keep it up!

Reactions: Namco15

Philly_Games

Game Developer
Sep 9, 2017
Seconded. For those of us who play on Instant Text Speed, multi-sentence fragments like this are the bane of immersion. I like to feel as though I'm reading a book when playing a VN, and this can definitely distract from that and take you out of the story.
Curious if that is typical for most. I never had complaints on it with DA but if it is generally not liked, then i can adjust that.

Jon_Sleeper

Nov 14, 2018
Curious if that is typical for most. I never had complaints on it with DA but if it is generally not liked, then i can adjust that.
or maybe a CTC(Click to continue) would suffice. It is the blinkie icon that appears at the right side of say screen, usually found in japanese VNs.

Deleted member 444674

Game Developer
Feb 17, 2018
Big fan of PhillyGames so I was always gonna check this one out...and BAW GAWD this is by far the most cinematic erotic experience I've ever seen in a game! And I thought DA was great cinematically. The lighting, animations, and music are just gorgeous to look at. I could literally get off on that alone.

The cinematic feel is definitely the feeling I want to express through my renders and eventual game as well.

I've only just passed the intro though. So let me go back in and enjoy this narrative experience. What a time to be an erotic game fan :love:

RoryTate

May 15, 2018
I've actually given that same feedback about multi-sentence fragments to other developers before on this site, but I didn't do it for DA because it was quite far along in development by the time I came across it and it didn't make sense to change the standard that late into the game, and I think I held back because it was used so infrequently in DA and even then it was pretty easy to just deal with. Some of the ones early on in Broken Dreamers are pretty long sentences and annoying re-reads though. For example, the transition:

"Hello, Agent." -> press Enter/Space -> "Hello, Agent. I've been expecting you."

from Broken Dreamers is not too much and can be easily ignored, but then the later transition in the same scene:

"Well, from your profile I assumed you'd prefer a more private venue as we finalize our discussion." -> press Enter/Space -> "Well, from your profile I assumed you'd prefer a more private venue as we finalize our discussion. Is it not suitable?"

makes it a bit tough to find where the new text is, and taking all that extra time just for four words feels a bit frustrating.

or maybe a CTC(Click to continue) would suffice. It is the blinkie icon that appears at the right side of say screen, usually found in japanese VNs.
No need to go that far. Just make it so that every space/enter key pressed to advance dialogue always results in a clean wipe of text. Then find a reasonable balance of not putting a wall of text (in the form of multiple long sentences) in front of the reader, while also not making it so that they are constantly pressing a key to. Advance. Every. Bit. Of. Text. like it's some sort of "exhaust all the menu options" H game. There will probably be stylistic reasons to break even these rules from time to time, but they would be good guidelines to follow I think.

4.80 star(s) 392 Votes