• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Ren'Py Cinematic black bars yay or nay?

Cinematic black bars in renpy games yay or nay?

• Total voters

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
No, black bars will happen "naturally" when trying to display something in an unreferenced aspect ratio.

Reactions: BlazeRunner99

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
No, black bars will happen "naturally" when trying to display something in an unreferenced aspect ratio.
What also imply that the video will not follow the rest of the CGs aspect ratio. And there's no way for the difference to not be noticed and not feel totally weird.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
What also imply that the video will not follow the rest of the CGs aspect ratio. And there's no way for the difference to not be noticed and not feel totally weird.
Hm... Not necessarily. Trying to fit or squish it would feel weird, but as long as you are consistent, it should look fairly good. Of course, ideally, it'd be best to have everything at the same aspect ratio.

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
I think Strangers on Paper (or maybe The Artist?) does this and has taken quite a bit of heat for it. Mostly of the "why is everyone making everything widescreen for the sake of looking cinematic?" variety.

I do it myself, but only for one-off renders. I also tend to use thinner ones as they tend to look better on tradition 16:9 vs your typical 2.35:1, etc. that Hollywood tends to use to achieve the letterboxing.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Reactions: BlazeRunner99