VN - Ren'Py - Abandoned - Chasing Crowns [Ch. 3] [Project Post Script]

1. 5.00 star(s)

HunterSeeker

This is a kinetic novel with a really engaging premise. There's definitely a lot of air and mystery to the whole reaility TV show that's going on here. The game seems like it could open a host of decisions that could affect what happens in the story, but currently it's quite linear so far. It shows a lot of promise and potential.
  2. 1.00 star(s)

csaja

this game had a good idea expect its trash choices are meaningless where in this game they are supposed to matter won't matter what girl u like or hate the creator or creators will just create a story but won't actually create choices u don't have a choice at who gets voted out or save anybody so what's the point of even creating choices then just make the game and do no choices
  3. 4.00 star(s)

DamienPascal82

It's an interesting premise, definitely different from many other games. I mean the "harem" isn't new or original, but it's definitely the first time I've seen it done with a reality show. Am a little disappointed that it's three chapters in and no sex though, but the story has kept me invested and looking forward to more.
  4. 3.00 star(s)

rhev

Chapter 1-2 review

I so much want to give this game 5 stars just for how much I enjoyed my time with it, but unfortunately I can't. Let me go over the cons first, then I can tell you what's great about it.

First off, it's not a game, not even a little bit. It's a story. You're reading a story. Literally one "choice" is made, ever, and that's to input your character's name. After that it's just hitting spacebar and reading. That on it's own wouldn't necessarily be bad. There's nothing wrong with a visual novel that you have no interaction with, but that's not what the description sells itself as, nor even what the final notes of chapter 2 sell it as. It seems to be a game, and it's possible that later chapters may include choices that give you branching paths or choices. But there is absolutely none in the first two chapters.

Secondly the renders are decent, but fairly standard honey select fair to be honest. While I didn't notice any terrible facial expressions, or bad seams, or anything of that sort, they're just sort of meh. There was a little issue with the scaling, for example when you see a character eating a banana in the kitchen and her head is about the same height as the counter tops behind her. That being the worst example, but a few other times where the scale seems a bit off. Nothing terrible for the most part, just, certainly not a visual experience that's anything noteworthy. I'd say the only real positive aspect of the visuals is that of 12 main characters (13 if you count the mostly unseen protagonist) each of them does have a distinctively different look. Well, as different as the honey select models allow for at least.

Finally, in terms of lewd content, there's practically none as of the end of chapter two. But I'm ok with a slow build over all, and have faith that this will change in the future.

Now that I've gotten the 'bad' out of the way let me get to the positives.

The big advantage to a non branching path is that you can focus on the story. This is by far where this visual novel shines. The premise itself isn't unusual and gives a good base for some shenanigans, who can't relate to a 'vote off the island' style reality show? Further you start, in the first two chapters, to get a sense that the characters actually have separate personalities and flavors to them... While they tend to be a bit flat and one dimensional for the most part, that's quite forgivable considering that you don't have a lot of time to get to know them yet.

But the writing itself is really the winner here. While the main character is as vanilla and bland as you could imagine, the other characters all seem to have at least the beginnings of interesting and unique pesonas. The author has done a good job of packing a lot of story into the VN in such a short time.

Truth be told, I was dreading the end of chapter two when I sensed it was coming. I honestly wanted to keep reading and see where the story goes. Not something you can say about many lewd games / VN. There's just enough of a mystery to make you wonder what the connections are, and what all of the strange occurances are.

Will the snarky man hating bitch get outsted early? Or will she succumb to vanilla protagonist's every-man charm? Is Amber the only complex character, or will some of the more one dimensional characters evolve? What will happen when it's time to vote someone off? But most of all, who's going to be the first to get his dick wet?

I mean, three stars isn't a BAD rating. Just like this isn't a BAD visual novel. I know that personally I'll be looking at checking back in on this one later on down the road.

Give it a download, check it out, just be ready for an interesting story, no game play, and not much in the way of lewd content, and I think you'll enjoy it.