• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Daz Character creation

Vaioretto

Feb 24, 2018
Hello everyone.

Right now i want to create a character for my possible game(not sure if there will be any). And i don't really know where and how i can do this. Looking for advice.
Should i try in Daz3d or download/buy something else like Hexagon or Zbrush? If allowed, could you provide links to tutorials?

P.S. I'm sorry for my bad English. Due to the lack of practice, it is hard for me to write and speak it, but reading and listening is not a problem.

Egglock

Oct 17, 2017
Are you looking to create as in making one from the ground up or are you looking for tools to generate characters for you? If you are looking for tools to generate characters for (free) than the one I know of is Make Human. There's word going around that vroid is also an alternative (that's if you are looking to create anime characters). Other than those, you'll have to create (Blender, Maya, 3ds Max, Zbrush) or buy them (various 3D modeling sites, or Daz3D).

Though I will warn you that, Zbrush isn't necessary a character creating tool, though that's what it's heavily used for. The purpose behind that software is sculpting, which is on a whole different level of experience and knowledge that you would need to acquire. Along side knowing the software and sculpting skills, you'll have to understand how to retopo and other various 3D modeling skill (UV unwrapping, texturing ect.) Unless you're willing to put in years of dedication and time into learning how to use the software, you're best bet is to use Daz3D, it comes at a cost (buying their models) but all the heavy lifting has been done for you, all you have to do is pose, mess with morph targets and render it out.

I don't have any links to Zbrush tutorials, but doing a tag search on "Zbrush tutorial" on youtube should give you plenty of videos to give you an idea as to what you can expect if you are trying to go down that route.

Another option (free) is Blender, here's a link to a discussion revolving around the software

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Hello everyone.

Right now i want to create a character for my possible game(not sure if there will be any). And i don't really know where and how i can do this. Looking for advice.
Should i try in Daz3d or download/buy something else like Hexagon or Zbrush? If allowed, could you provide links to tutorials?

P.S. I'm sorry for my bad English. Due to the lack of practice, it is hard for me to write and speak it, but reading and listening is not a problem.
Your English is fine - don't worry about it.

To answer your question properly requires a bit more understanding of what you're planning to build game-wise. The main distinction is whether you're planning on building a game that uses 2D images using something like Ren'py, or whether you're going to try to build something that's "truly 3D" like The Twist or House Party.

The 2D image approach is a LOT easier, of course. In that case, Daz Studio is probably a good place to start experimenting. There are quite a few free assets for it, which means you could basically just start with a pre-made character, hair and clothing and go from there. If you'd like to have something "custom," then what you can do is look at the many morph packs that are available for Daz - these allow you to reshape the character by adjusting more-or-less obviously-named parameters (nose size, breast size, whatever.) (There are also a lot of paid assets for Daz Studio that have been, well, "shared." See the "Asset Releases" forum here, for example.)

The big question is "once you have your character, how are you going to use it." Daz Studio allows you not only to design and pose characters, but will also do the rendering for you. So if you want to use it, you'll generally want to use assets that are compatible with (designed for) Daz Studio. (And there are a LOT of them.)

If you're going full 3D, then you're probably going to use something like Unity. That means you should be looking for Unity-compatible characters. There, MakeHuman is probably a good place to start.

Jumping into something like Blender or ZBrush is definitely possible, but there's a MUCH longer learning curve there, IMHO. Modeling figures from scratch, or even editing their meshes, is a special skill that a lot of people don't have. (I certainly don't.)

There are also packages like Honey Select. I don't have any experience with that, so I can't say much about it, but I know that many games here have been done using figures from it.

macadam

Chicken Bubble Butt
Game Developer
Aug 5, 2016
Zbrush wont help you to create a character. Zbrush is mostly usefull AFTER you create your object/character, to add the lil' bits on it. i would not and never recommend to create a char on Zbrush... better go into a standard 3D modeling program first. (even if its possible, it gonna be pain in ass)

Hexagon can do it, but its very limited compared to blender or 3ds or maya. (better using blender)

DAz allow you to create your own char and modify it like you want. they are also some small addons that allow you to litteraly change everything on it, from tongue, to teeth, to eyes....nose.. toes, skin and everything. (including genitals)

you can get hexagon for free on DAz site, hexagon is great for creating some custom small items and stuff that after you can transfert into DAz studio. (pretty much like any 3D program, but hexagon will make it instantly in good format for DAz studio)

Reactions: nathanjoneswork2

macadam

Chicken Bubble Butt
Game Developer
Aug 5, 2016
you canalso use game like the sims to create your custom chars and then using various sims pose to do the whole game.
can be done with 3Dsexvilla (or TK17) , miku miku dance, or any other game that allow you to "pose" the char specifically.

(still DAz is the easiest way imho)

or you canalso draw the whole thing. if you know a bit of drawing. with that, no limit at all :D

Joraell

Betrayed
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 4, 2017
Hello everyone.

Hi, I will tell you how I was started. Get Daz3D and do tutorials includet in it. It will really fast help you to do first spteps to character creations possing and lighting. It is interacting tutorials, so they are easy to do. Program will tell you click here do this than click here do this. And after you done this tutorials try to do your own things, first just simple than going to harder things. During that you will find many issues you will need to solve and for that use google and find another tutorials or advices on forums or ask here of course. But fisrt steps is do that beginers tutorials to even know how things working. Good luck.