Ren'Py "Castlecry" by The Open Project

ChronoSig

Game Developer
Jan 1, 2018
Update 8/1/18:
Status Update: We are redoing the whole menu to be more visual friendly. So this upcoming update will be quiet the overhaul on all menu items. Along with the map overhaul their will be a new batch of 8 events majority of them sexual with the implementation of two new optional fetishes. Here is a quick preview of the new map. (No buttons yet) If you want further info check out our Patreon or join us at our Discord, both links at first page.

Update 6/30/18:

We are pushing back the release to Tuesday due to our coding team running into issues. I will throw up a link to our last demo though for testing. Just be aware since this demo we have added a plethora of content. Please be patient with us.

Update 6/20/18:
We are super happy to announce that our Patreon is up
The other great news is we have a set date for our first playable build! The magical day is July 1st!
Join our Discord Here:
to hear more.

Into:
We are the brand new H-development team called The Open Project. We are currently in development of a Kingdom/Slave management game called, "Castlecry." This will be the official Dev blog(unless it gets moved) for majority of development. It is currently in early stages of development but we do have the basic model down. All we need to do is to start filling in the content.
The ultimate goal of this game is openness, freedom to do as you wish with a plethora of content.

Support Us:
If you are interested in helping the development along there are several ways to do this.
1st. We have room on the development team for one more coder, one more artist, and a couple more writers.
2nd. Spread the word, get the hype up!!!
3rd. Share your ideas! We would love to get your ideas down in the game. We want to make this as large as possible and we can do that with a strong community support. Just read the below features and design around them.
4th. We do not have a tip jar yet because we think it would not be fair to take money from you guys until we have a playable demo.

Features of the Game:
All Sexual features will be optional. At the start you get to turn on or off any or all categories that will range from Incest, Pregnancy, etc. The only thing that you wont be able to turn off is Slavery as it is a large part of the game.

You will do a Character Creation at the start of the game and also pick a starting story, these will determine what you will start with. A little Teaser at the backgrounds we have so far Son of Count, Son of Blacksmith, and the Builder. Without too much detail into this feature, but all intos end with you owning and running your own little castle.

The Game focuses on you running this little castle and between random events and planning build it up and create a kingdom to conquer your neighbors.

Majority of the Game will be played from what we call the Castle Screen. The Castle screen is the hub to your kingdom. This is were it branches off into the Manage Realm Tab, Manage Slaves Tab, Buildings to Build, What you have already built, and then the Adventures Tab.

The Manage Realm Tab will contain info about your kingdom and allow you to customize it through changing and adding laws, raising/lowering adding/retracting taxes. This will also be the tab you manage your army.

Buildings within the game. This is a huge part of the game. You basically start with nothing and have to build from the ground up with a plethora of options all changing different aspects of the game. One key feature we want to build is the artwork of the backgrounds, we want it to feel as you build more and upgrade your castle and kingdom that the art upgrades too showing off the progress you made.

Now we come to the Adventures Tab: Majority of the game will take place here. This is were you can explore your kingdom/settlement, go raid and pillage, wage war on neighbors, or just explore. This tab will allow you to fire off the enormous amounts of random events we are planning on creating which will affect your kingdom and values described below.

The Game will take place in a week at a time and when you click the next week button, shit might get real. Depending on loyalty or diplomacy or just bad luck, random events will fire from just ruling events to raids on your castle and village, or even neighboring kingdoms attacking.

Next Feature I will Share about is all the Number Values in the game.

Freeman Population (The Representation of a Population)
Value will Increase very slowly over time(until a certain point in game). Building certain upgrades will increase this value between weeks. This Value determines Tax Revenue and how many people you recruit to army. Certain upgrades can only be unlocked when this value reaches a certain point. Value will decrease during failed Raid Defense and Failed Conquest defense.

Menial Slaves (The Representation of a Population)
Value only decrease slightly in with time every 20 weeks. Value gives gold but way less then Freeman (Due to labor). Menial Slaves increase Loyalty of Freeman(more menial slaves=more loyalty) Only way to gain menial Slaves is through Conquest, Raids, and Events.

Value will just be a number representation 20 Freeman= 20 People, 12 Menial Slaves= 12 Menial Slaves

Gold: Will be called Coffers. Can gain from Raiding, Conquering, or Taxing. Sometimes in Random Events. Used in pretty much everything. Upgrading your settlement, Training army, Upgrading Army, Hiring Mercenaries, Hiring Whores or other NPCs. Paying bribes to people. And sometimes spent in Random Events.

Number of Men: Size of Standing Army. We will keep it basic for now and only just have a general army. It is for raiding, conquering new lands, putting down rebellions, and defending the castle and your kingdom. Value of army or number of men can be increased by Training new men (which will decrease value of Freemen within your realm as you are adding them to your army), Training Slaves into Army (Cost more gold and decrease Menial Slaves Value which will affect other stuff), or Hiring Mercenaries(Costs lots more gold but does not decrease any other value). The Number of Men value is decreased during raiding, conquering, and defending due to people dying (This mechanic will be refined later when we come up with a battle system). Size of Army will be limited by size/upgrade level of Barracks and other buildings in castle.
Scale will be a basic number of men scale: example 10 men =10 men

Equipment Value will be a simple one. It starts off Low due to intros meaning your men are ill equipped. Value can be increase through Blacksmith and other craftsmen that can be built or hired. (will cost a fuck ton of Gold to upgrade, Larger the army=more gold) Hiring Mercenaries will auto increase the value. Value will decrease over time.
Quality of Gear will be a number scale out of 100
Scrappy Gear 1-15, Low Quality, 15-30, Basic Quality 30-40, Decent Quality 40-60, Good Quality 60-75, Excellent Quality 75-85, Superb Quality, 85-100.
Later on in development these will mean something when it comes to battles by adding stats boosts.

Loyalty For Both Freemen and Menial Slaves
Low loyalty in either will cause a rebellion that you must put down with your army. If you loose rebellion, you loose game. High loyalty will give more taxes and other benefits. Can increase or decreased based on Laws, taxes, Defense against bandits or other armies. Sometimes events will come up to cause it to increase or decrease.

Both Value ranges will be based on a 1-100 scale. Later will add percentage chances for rebellion to both.
1-20=Angry, 20-40=Restless, 40-60=Content, 60-80=Happy, 80-100=Blissful.
Only reason these should not fire is if there is no population of Freeman(unlikely) or there are no Menial Slaves (more likely)

The Last value are the Slaves with a capital S. They will be full customization for the players pleasure and you will be able to get them from events and other fun stuff. You will be able to play with them, assign them to jobs, and sell them.

If you have any questions just ask!
Or join us at our Official Discord here:

Reactions: TAR313

Soulord

May 21, 2017
Just wanted to drop by quickly, not only to reserve this comment place but also to inform our kind readers that I will be developing this game! Our team counts 3-4 members for now and me being the only coder, feel free to PM Chronos if you ever want to help me out and join our team !

Sincerely,
Soul

Reactions: Damascus777-7

ChronoSig

Game Developer
Jan 1, 2018
Hi, i'm a developper (work) but never did some kind of games like this, but it interests me a lot .. what are you looking for? ^^
We are looking for more writers, possibly another coder and possibly another artist. But for sure we need more writers.

Reactions: tomwilliams9911

ChronoSig

Game Developer
Jan 1, 2018
No, I already looked at it, but as i never had any real project i didnt had the chance to .. but I'm doing Python at work :p
Ok, I talked to the team and our Lead Coder. He wants you to create a sidebar in Ren'py that displays changing Values. As a test of sorts. You don't have to do it if you don't want. He just need somebody that wont slow us down. :)

Just Pm if you do it.

ChronoSig

Game Developer
Jan 1, 2018
1 July approaching fast. You ready?
Yeah we are on target to have most to all of the stuff we wanted in the first build to be done, The game is playable currently, we are just trying to fit in the last bits of content. I think we have close to 80 random events in total so far? and most of the stuff has art work for it. I am personally hoping after first release to start pushing out updates weekly to bi-weekly.

Reactions: Humlebien

Humlebien

Donor
Nov 15, 2016
Yeah we are on target to have most to all of the stuff we wanted in the first build to be done, The game is playable currently, we are just trying to fit in the last bits of content. I think we have close to 80 random events in total so far? and most of the stuff has art work for it. I am personally hoping after first release to start pushing out updates weekly to bi-weekly.
Sounds awesome. Will deffo check it out. Need more "It's good to be the King" games. Much much more.

green

Aug 28, 2016
Great idea, we need more games like Free Cities etc. Played the first demo for a couple of minutes, I get that you might have already adressed these things but if you haven't:

- When you click any of the 'available buildings' you population goes up by 1 without action cost
- When 'wondering the realm' it gives errors, also I think that should be 'wander the realm'
- Maybe give an indication before constructing buildings what they will cost and actually do (as now it just tells you what it will cost if you don't have enough money)
- Also the english in the intro sometimes feels a bit broken, not bad but not good either

Looking forward to the next build!

Humlebien

Donor
Nov 15, 2016
Great idea, we need more games like Free Cities etc. Played the first demo for a couple of minutes, I get that you might have already adressed these things but if you haven't:

- When you click any of the 'available buildings' you population goes up by 1 without action cost
- When 'wondering the realm' it gives errors, also I think that should be 'wander the realm'
- Maybe give an indication before constructing buildings what they will cost and actually do (as now it just tells you what it will cost if you don't have enough money)
- Also the english in the intro sometimes feels a bit broken, not bad but not good either

Looking forward to the next build!
Seem a new thread have been made for the new released demo/version 1. Might have better luck in that one

green

Aug 28, 2016
Seem a new thread have been made for the new released demo/version 1. Might have better luck in that one
Heh hadn't seen that one, thanks. Makes the previous comment obsolete anyway as that newer demo is out already apparently