Can I use assets available on f95zone in a paid game?

Jack502

Feb 15, 2021
Hey,
I'm new here, and I'm going to develop a game soon.
I want to know that, Can I use the assets(daz content) available here in my game if I want to post it on patreon.
Sorry for the grammatically mistakes, english isn't my mother tongue language.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
I want to know that, Can I use the assets(daz content) available here in my game if I want to post it on patreon.
There's many level of answer to this question.

Can you use those assets ?
Yes, no one will prevent you to do so. There's no DRM or anything like that, but it's recommended to turn Daz Studio in off line mode, just to be totally sure.

Can you then make the game available on Patreon ?
Also yes. Patreon is just a service provider, their role do not include the verification of others copyrights. They can only act if someone complain that you are doing something that goes against their own rights ; through a DMCA notice by example.

Will Patreon know that it's pirated assets ?
No, they can't. They have absolutely no way to know this, unless someone explicitly tell them.

Can Daz, and the creators of the assets, know that you used them without having payed them ?
No, not really. Generally your Patreon page just present a pseudonym, while you can perfectly have bought the assets by using your real name, or even use the service of a third person to do all the CG. Therefore, the fact that your Patreon pseudonym do not appear in the list of persons who bought this or that asset do not prove that your game use pirated assets.

Is it legal to do all this ?
No, absolutely not. It's a copyright infringement, dot.

If someone decide to sue you, would you be found guilty and sentenced ?
Yes, totally. While facing Justice, you'll have to provide your real name, tell what's the name of your account on Daz Store (or any other store), and so on. If you pretend that someone else is making the CG for you, you'll have to give his name, and all. Therefore, the truth will be quickly uncovered and you'll be sentenced for you illegal use of those assets.

Will someone effectively sue you ?
Probably not. Unless you live in the USA, it would mean an international lawsuit, what cost a lot of money. All this for what is, at this moment, still a suspicion of copyright infringement. No one would start such expensive and long procedure just because of a suspicion.
But if they are convinced that you are using assets illegally acquired, by example because they witness you saying that you only use pirated assets, or because you thanks the uploader who released an asset, and the said asset appear in the next update of your game, then it's another story. They can decide to take the risk in order to make an example.

Is it morally right to do this ?
Well, we are on a piracy site, so morality is something relative.
But, exception made of Daz themselves, those assets are made by persons like you. They have some ideas, aren't too bad at what they do, and decide to share all this with the community, expecting to earn some bucks out of this. Therefore, pirating their assets to yourself earn some bucks out of your indie game... Not really moral, even for a pirate.
If really you struggle regarding the money, use assets that you got here, but each time you earned few bucks, pay for the ones you use the most.

Jack502

Feb 15, 2021
There's many level of answer to this question.

Can you use those assets ?
Yes, no one will prevent you to do so. There's no DRM or anything like that, but it's recommended to turn Daz Studio in off line mode, just to be totally sure.

Can you then make the game available on Patreon ?
Also yes. Patreon is just a service provider, their role do not include the verification of others copyrights. They can only act if someone complain that you are doing something that goes against their own rights ; through a DMCA notice by example.

Will Patreon know that it's pirated assets ?
No, they can't. They have absolutely no way to know this, unless someone explicitly tell them.

Can Daz, and the creators of the assets, know that you used them without having payed them ?
No, not really. Generally your Patreon page just present a pseudonym, while you can perfectly have bought the assets by using your real name, or even use the service of a third person to do all the CG. Therefore, the fact that your Patreon pseudonym do not appear in the list of persons who bought this or that asset do not prove that your game use pirated assets.

Is it legal to do all this ?
No, absolutely not. It's a copyright infringement, dot.

If someone decide to sue you, would you be found guilty and sentenced ?
Yes, totally. While facing Justice, you'll have to provide your real name, tell what's the name of your account on Daz Store (or any other store), and so on. If you pretend that someone else is making the CG for you, you'll have to give his name, and all. Therefore, the truth will be quickly uncovered and you'll be sentenced for you illegal use of those assets.

Will someone effectively sue you ?
Probably not. Unless you live in the USA, it would mean an international lawsuit, what cost a lot of money. All this for what is, at this moment, still a suspicion of copyright infringement. No one would start such expensive and long procedure just because of a suspicion.
But if they are convinced that you are using assets illegally acquired, by example because they witness you saying that you only use pirated assets, or because you thanks the uploader who released an asset, and the said asset appear in the next update of your game, then it's another story. They can decide to take the risk in order to make an example.

Is it morally right to do this ?
Well, we are on a piracy site, so morality is something relative.
But, exception made of Daz themselves, those assets are made by persons like you. They have some ideas, aren't too bad at what they do, and decide to share all this with the community, expecting to earn some bucks out of this. Therefore, pirating their assets to yourself earn some bucks out of your indie game... Not really moral, even for a pirate.
If really you struggle regarding the money, use assets that you got here, but each time you earned few bucks, pay for the ones you use the most.
Thanks bro I'll keep it in mind.