Can anyone fix this script?

Tunawisma

May 21, 2021
I wanted to play the game Family at Home 1 (salrgame) before the remake, but it failed because the script had an error

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Sorry, I sent the wrong traceback file, this is a new one
Wow... What the hell is this mess ?

Ren'Py have no reasons to throw those errors. And I mean really no reason to throw a single one of those errors ; they are not exceptional, they are expected to be impossible.

1. Ren'Py don't care if there's, or not, a space after the sayer ;

2. If the dialog lines are presented like in the error file (two ASCII characters to represent an UTF-8 one), Ren'Py will proceed the file correctly, whatever if it is encoded in ASCII or UTF-8 ;

3. If the file contain UTF-8 encoded character, but is encoded in ASCII, the error will be UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf8' codec can't decode byte [whatever] in position [whatever]: invalid start byte.

4. If there's "compilation" error, what is the case here, Ren'Py stop there. But the log.txt file show that it continued, totally discarding the errors ;

5. The final error is telling that Ren'Py loaded a save file that have no saved data, what shouldn't be possible.

None of this is supposed to be possible.

I can imagine that the UTF-8 Versus ASCII part is possibly different on Android, and so that the three first points differ. But it still don't explain the two last points. Even on Android, Ren'Py should stop if there's syntax errors in the code, and even on Android it will not create a save file deprived of all saved data.

Reactions: Tunawisma

Tunawisma

May 21, 2021
Wow... What the hell is this mess ?

Ren'Py have no reasons to throw those errors. And I mean really no reason to throw a single one of those errors ; they are not exceptional, they are expected to be impossible.

1. Ren'Py don't care if there's, or not, a space after the sayer ;

2. If the dialog lines are presented like in the error file (two ASCII characters to represent an UTF-8 one), Ren'Py will proceed the file correctly, whatever if it is encoded in ASCII or UTF-8 ;

3. If the file contain UTF-8 encoded character, but is encoded in ASCII, the error will be UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf8' codec can't decode byte [whatever] in position [whatever]: invalid start byte.

4. If there's "compilation" error, what is the case here, Ren'Py stop there. But the log.txt file show that it continued, totally discarding the errors ;

5. The final error is telling that Ren'Py loaded a save file that have no saved data, what shouldn't be possible.

None of this is supposed to be possible.

I can imagine that the UTF-8 Versus ASCII part is possibly different on Android, and so that the three first points differ. But it still don't explain the two last points. Even on Android, Ren'Py should stop if there's syntax errors in the code, and even on Android it will not create a save file deprived of all saved data.
So there's nothing that can be fixed?

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Maybe the code has been copied through Microsoft Word and all the double-quotes have been converted to "smart quotes" or something crazy

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Maybe the code has been copied through Microsoft Word and all the double-quotes have been converted to "smart quotes" or something crazy
I did the encoding test with the same version of Ren'Py, and copying few faulty lines directly from the error file. If it was something like that, it would have appeared.

Anyway, as I said I'm more worried by the two other errors.
Ren'Py continuing after syntax error is really not normal. I mean, even taking count of some possible Android particularity, it make no sense ; it's like a car race driver who would look at the car, warn the team that there's three wheels missing, but still jump inside and starts the engine, ready to go.

Tunawisma

May 21, 2021
I did the encoding test with the same version of Ren'Py, and copying few faulty lines directly from the error file. If it was something like that, it would have appeared.

Anyway, as I said I'm more worried by the two other errors.
Ren'Py continuing after syntax error is really not normal. I mean, even taking count of some possible Android particularity, it make no sense ; it's like a car race driver who would look at the car, warn the team that there's three wheels missing, but still jump inside and starts the engine, ready to go.
Anyway, is there another way to play this game? Btw, thanks for helping

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
I think maybe there is something seriously messed up with your renpy installation. did you try to attach debug version of python or something?

I was going to suggest you could try to download a copy of renpy that matches the relevant game version (if anyone can advise you this) and put the script in there. but it probably won't work anyway as the assets will not be available. Best idea is to ask in the relevant game thread for anyone with an old archive copy.

Tunawisma

May 21, 2021
I think maybe there is something seriously messed up with your renpy installation. did you try to attach debug version of python or something?

I was going to suggest you could try to download a copy of renpy that matches the relevant game version (if anyone can advise you this) and put the script in there. but it probably won't work anyway as the assets will not be available. Best idea is to ask in the relevant game thread for anyone with an old archive copy.
I don't understand about it, I played it on joiplay, because it was the same as apk error, but thank you for giving advice

Reactions: osanaiko