Jambalam

Jan 28, 2019
The race generation seems bugged. I don't know if I picked a perfect storm of traits to mess it up, or if it just doesn't quite work right. I chose alabaster skin for the mother, and red curly hair. The generated character had the red curly hair, but they had golden skin. I went into the console and tried to manually changed the skin to "alabaster," but it just messed up the sprite. Then I manually changed it to "white," and it kind of worked, but still looks off for some reason. I started over and speed clicked through the choices to see what would happen. I ended up with a blonde white girl, so I know that it is possible to generate a white character.

Just something to look into.

ViviX12

Engaged Member
Jan 5, 2019
CassieBare you can create a ticket to apply for game developer badge if you haven't already, and please note that you can respond to multiple posts within one just by pressing "reply" to each
anyway the pixel art in previews looks nice so gonna watch this one develop

Last edited:
Reactions: CassieBare

CassieBare

Game Developer
Jan 25, 2020
The race generation seems bugged. I don't know if I picked a perfect storm of traits to mess it up, or if it just doesn't quite work right. I chose alabaster skin for the mother, and red curly hair. The generated character had the red curly hair, but they had golden skin. I went into the console and tried to manually changed the skin to "alabaster," but it just messed up the sprite. Then I manually changed it to "white," and it kind of worked, but still looks off for some reason. I started over and speed clicked through the choices to see what would happen. I ended up with a blonde white girl, so I know that it is possible to generate a white character.

Just something to look into.
Thanks for pointing this out. I was going for a Character Creation system that played more with genetics and didn't have everything within player control, but I'm seeing that it's really not desirable, based on the comments here. While I'm keeping the essential idea, the 0.1b (QoL and bug fix) release will include a 'control' for Dad's race which will narrow the options.

CassieBare you can create a ticket to apply for game developer badge if you haven't alreay, and please note that you can respond to multiple posts within one just by pressing "reply" to each
anyway the pixel art in previews looks nice so gonna watch this one develop
Good point, and point taken.

I'll look into the badge.

Enthusiass

Jun 21, 2018
Seems like a good base to built upon for future, but I really hope it doesn't go the way that the other spy game went.

My only feedback is annoying bits I imagine they have been mentioned multiple times here, which there are 3 of them;

Highlighting the choice with the nearly same colour as background is not only annoying but counterintuitive, some people have tendency to follow the text they are reading with mouse, and you're forcing people to constantly move their mouse to read the options back and forth.

Drop shadow on the popup box that happens on choices is too wide and intrudes on the text that player is reading, and frankly eye-hurting for me, simple border box would suffice doing the job; And the arrow portion of it inhibits clicks down to a two pixel line right under the text, and would require pixel hunt on reader/player's part to progress if you slap it on a yes-no choice in the future.

presario1000

Jun 18, 2018
While I like the concept and being able to choose so many different things, I think the creator is going to have a hard time keeping the game moving forward with so many variables, which means it will either completely stall out, or none of the choices will really matter.

PeanutGallery

Nov 24, 2017
Some initial thoughts:
  • The wording and narration perspective when working on the parents is a little awkward, and I had to reread those sections a couple times before I figured out what I was actually doing. It's not impossible; but it may not be what you want to have your initial experience in the game be.
  • The color scheme is, at times, a little difficult to read. Black on pale blue is well enough; pale red (for clickable items) on pale blue is difficult - and incredibly so for colorblind people.
  • I'm always worried when I see high-complexity character creation. Many new developers fall into the trap of wanting to make every choice meaningful, but that quickly results in a complexity explosion that renders development impossible. Be very, very, very careful with how much branching your character creation choices add, if any. Having the choices set flags (for dialog changes down the line) is a much safer approach than trying to do significant branching.
  • From a UI perspective, it would be nice if there was some differentiation between links that advanced text on the page versus advancing to a new page.
  • On the same note, the arrow indicating that an option is something you can click to cycle throw is a little difficult to see for those of us with poor eyes, as well as being nonindicative of the intended functionality. I understand the appeal of clicking through to change the written text from an aesthetic perspective, but it's not the most usable interface.
  • Once you've finished character creation, a character record with a summary would be a welcome feature going forward. I sometimes leave games for extended periods of time, especially in-development games, and being able to view who I was playing and the choices I made help avoid the "now, what was I doing again...?" issue.
Overall, color me intrigued. I look forward to seeing where this one goes, and wish you the best in your efforts.

CassieBare

Game Developer
Jan 25, 2020
Some initial thoughts:
  • The wording and narration perspective when working on the parents is a little awkward, and I had to reread those sections a couple times before I figured out what I was actually doing. It's not impossible; but it may not be what you want to have your initial experience in the game be.
Thanks, I'll look into this.

• The color scheme is, at times, a little difficult to read. Black on pale blue is well enough; pale red (for clickable items) on pale blue is difficult - and incredibly so for colorblind people.
  • I'm always worried when I see high-complexity character creation. Many new developers fall into the trap of wanting to make every choice meaningful, but that quickly results in a complexity explosion that renders development impossible. Be very, very, very careful with how much branching your character creation choices add, if any. Having the choices set flags (for dialog changes down the line) is a much safer approach than trying to do significant branching.

I appreciate the above! I hope that 0.2 will show my intentions with all the complexity. Not every situation needs to reference every skill and trait. Use the ones most applicable, save the rest for later.

• From a UI perspective, it would be nice if there was some differentiation between links that advanced text on the page versus advancing to a new page.
Good point, I'll look into it.

• On the same note, the arrow indicating that an option is something you can click to cycle throw is a little difficult to see for those of us with poor eyes, as well as being nonindicative of the intended functionality. I understand the appeal of clicking through to change the written text from an aesthetic perspective, but it's not the most usable interface.
Good point. Maybe I can scale the arrow or the color change suggestion above may help.

• Once you've finished character creation, a character record with a summary would be a welcome feature going forward. I sometimes leave games for extended periods of time, especially in-development games, and being able to view who I was playing and the choices I made help avoid the "now, what was I doing again...?" issue.
Overall, color me intrigued. I look forward to seeing where this one goes, and wish you the best in your efforts.
There is a Dossier planned which will have some of the information visible, other fields 'redacted' by the agency -- opportunities to un-redact will happen throughout the game if the MC digs.

Now I just need a front end dev to help me build these things! ;)

Glad to hear it!

Aug 4, 2017
Liking what I've seen so far, ran into a lot of glitches and bugs tho.
Ran into a bug where the game got stuck on a screen after describing her body and the character picture won't show.
As for the content, will there be some sort of impregnation risk gameplay system? Because one of the choices seems to point in that direction. If it's true then I'm all for that sort of content.

CassieBare

Game Developer
Jan 25, 2020
Liking what I've seen so far, ran into a lot of glitches and bugs tho.
Ran into a bug where the game got stuck on a screen after describing her body and the character picture won't show.
As for the content, will there be some sort of impregnation risk gameplay system? Because one of the choices seems to point in that direction. If it's true then I'm all for that sort of content.
Yes. Definitely not shying away from that.

Reactions: Chainjailhunter

hligahudiaunf

Feb 5, 2019
Thanks for game, I am really interested in this game concept, will be waiting for next update, I see that this is just 0.1 but ending was still a bit unexpected, it was like:
Step 1) create your character
Step 2) See you in next update :)
I really like no panties choice in options, hope to see some exposure accidential or not

CassieBare

Game Developer
Jan 25, 2020
Thanks for game, I am really interested in this game concept, will be waiting for next update, I see that this is just 0.1 but ending was still a bit unexpected, it was like:
Step 1) create your character
Step 2) See you in next update :)
I really like no panties choice in options, hope to see some exposure accidential or not
Yep, mostly a proof-of-concept and Character Creator. Now, don't oversell it, this had sex and story to it too...gimme some credit ;)

4.10 star(s) 27 Votes