Archived Big Brother: "Visual Novel 2 E-Book" extracted dialogs [v2.4] (Dialog from v0.13.0.007)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thug73

Jan 20, 2017
Hi all,

So, "Max White" and I both came up with the same idea a little while ago. (See this thread: )

His version had better indenting, but my version had image links. I've shamelessly ripped off some of his better indenting (though it's still not perfect) plus made a bunch of other changes.

Attached you'll find a zipped HTML file which is the output of my program. Just unzip it and place it in your Big Brother game folder. The HTML expects there to be an "Images" sub-folder, which is the standard game folder and includes the unencrypted "emotion" graphics. It also expects there to be a "decryptedImages" sub-folder, which you have to generate using the BBImageTools_v0.3.1.1 program. This folder then contains all the other needed graphics in an unencrypted form.

Alternatively, download the unencryted graphics from here:

With the v0.13.0.007 release the images are already decrypted, so the HTML looks for all images in teh default Images sub-folder.

The "start" file is just named FormattedDialog.html. This contains a Table of Contents and the text of the "Possibilities". Clicking on the links will open the correct file for the "Game Sequence". I've included a drop-down and small bit of javascript that allows you to change the size of the big images for better scrolling.

I'd love whatever feedback you have and any suggestions for improvements. When things have settled down a bit with the code I plan to release it on GitHub or somewhere. (I'm writing a program I've called "VN2EB - Visual Novel 2 E-Book", which will eventually handle multiple sources - so far it's just "Big Brother" and "A Soldier's Life".)

Future Improvements:
  • Improve navigation from a sub-file back to the Table of Contents, move Back and Forward in total list, etc. etc.
  • Include reading in any MOD.TXT file and put its contents in the output too.
  • Improve the vertical bar display that joins "multiple choices/branches" to be a bit clearer.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Cheers,

Thug73

ikaruga

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Aug 11, 2016
Finally ! Great job. I tried once last year and get bored by the work needed.

Max Headroom

pauper commilito CtSH
Sep 27, 2017
Great work!
But (there's allway a but... ;) ) you are right
your browser will definitely grind away processing
isn't it possible to devide this html?

And there is a CG Rip of V0.12 on maybe you wanna add this link in your OP?

Max Headroom

pauper commilito CtSH
Sep 27, 2017
Update: after I relocate the html in the right place to the decripted grfx it started to load ~2 GB compacted datas --> system crash :/

So I really recommend to divide the html in pieces.

thug73

Jan 20, 2017
Update: after I relocate the html in the right place to the decripted grfx it started to load ~2 GB compacted datas --> system crash :/

So I really recommend to divide the html in pieces.
I was actually wondering how much overhead there'd be in having a Javascript "load-on-demand-only" type system for the graphics...

But yeah, splitting the file is possibly an easier starting point. I'll see what I can do in the next day or two.

Reactions: Max Headroom

frenchi

Jan 5, 2018
bonjour, le fichier permet de décrypter toutes les images du jeu?

Comment Max Headroom:
hello, the file can decrypt all the images of the game?

Fission Mailed

Modder
Nov 27, 2017
Just need a full 64-bit system, works fine for me even with slow load times from a 5400rpm laptop drive using a SATAIII to USB3 adapter. 64bit CPU, Win 10 x64, 16GB ram, Geforce 960 4GB, Firefox Quantom x64.

I don't know how much CSS and JS (actual script functions, not just calls) are included but those would be about 0 effort to strip out of the HTML file. Even having someone go through it to remove stupid crap like the "footer" would help trim the file, though with a quick glance I only saw the footer as "extra" so that'd do nothing for file size.
As for splitting it, going by distinct paths sounds easiest but I think DS has combined so many of them that it may not work as intended. Hmm....I'll see what Dreamweaver does....:D
...oh my "Out of memory" lmao

fanty

Dec 2, 2017
Hi,

I love and hate this game...
How did one extra stuff like in this very nice HTML?

I'm stuck after New Job Step.40 when mom should start talk about the new job at breakfast but this does not happen, does any one has a tip how to proceed? I think I have have advanced about 3 weeks by now.

bye

thug73

Jan 20, 2017
I don't know how much CSS and JS (actual script functions, not just calls) are included but those would be about 0 effort to strip out of the HTML file.
There's actually very little in the way of CSS and Javascript. All the HTML is explicitly created in my program, tag by tag. I'm not using some library which would add a lot of guff.

And a couple of "superfluous" bits, like the footer tag, are only there because I was reusing code for my program which did a similar thing for "A Soldier's Life". Once the browser had loaded and parsed the HTML into the DOM it makes no difference anyway.

A separate file per "sequence" will be the way forward and I'll do that soon.

thug73

Jan 20, 2017
I'm stuck after New Job Step.40 when mom should start talk about the new job at breakfast but this does not happen, does any one has a tip how to proceed? I think I have have advanced about 3 weeks by now.
Unfortunately this stuff isn't always revealed by my formatted output. There are bits of "code" that you'll see occasionally mixed in the dialog, usually between square brackets, that sometimes reveals some of what you need to door at least what conditions need to be met for something to occur, but it's no where near complete. Many of the checks are hidden in the actual game code rather than the extracted dialog I suspect.

thug73

Jan 20, 2017
Hi all,

So I've updated things to break up the big HTML into smaller ones, basically one for each "segment", so it's now a lot of files! Navigation will be improved in time.

See the first post for the updated file.

Cheers,

Thug73

Reactions: Max Headroom

Max Headroom

pauper commilito CtSH
Sep 27, 2017
Hi all,

So I've updated things to break up the big HTML into smaller ones, basically one for each "segment", so it's now a lot of files! Navigation will be improved in time.

See the first post for the updated file.

Cheers,

Thug73
I know it's a hard work to break this cake in pieces and I shall say "Thank you very much!" to you... from my computer.

Max White

Oct 25, 2017
Good work, making a book out of those dialogs, first of all.

It might be further advanced into an interactive book - when all dialogs are loaded from a json file and only the current scene is shown - that should not eat up all the browser's resources and keep the look and feel of a single page application.

My big challenge is to write a generic decoder for RenPy...
Did you mean one like this: ?

thug73

Jan 20, 2017
It might be further advanced into an interactive book - when all dialogs are loaded from a json file and only the current scene is shown - that should not eat up all the browser's resources and keep the look and feel of a single page application.
Don't know if I'll ever get it that far - and to be honest, I want the different possible paths to remain as visible as possible, rather than hiding it away too much. But as I say, I will open-source this at some point, so people will then be free to add what they want...

Did you mean one like this: ?
No. I want to actually read the script and again present it as an eBook. It won't work for every RenPy game out there, only the fairly linear ones.

Max White

Oct 25, 2017
That is what I had in mind when I first looked at your project. Somewhat like the original game, yet made in html. You can just show all the possible options at each point of conversation. One has to be proficient with javascript as well to code such a system. (And it will also take some effort, that I don't feel motivated to undertake).

Well, if you reveal your sources, I'll also publish mine (the code that reads txt to object model and refines the trees, before HTML is built) - to serve 2 objectives: keep the sources a bit safer and compare the approaches.

thug73

Jan 20, 2017
I've just updated the main post with an updated file for v0.13.0.007 of Big Brother. Apart from a minor change required because the images are already decrypted in this release, there's been no significant change to the output. (Beyond the extra text from the game itself, that is.)

Enjoy!

Jan 19, 2018
Hi all,

So, "Max White" and I both came up with the same idea a little while ago. (See this thread: )

His version had better indenting, but my version had image links. I've shamelessly ripped off some of his better indenting (though it's still not perfect) plus made a bunch of other changes.

Attached you'll find a zipped HTML file which is the output of my program. Just unzip it and place it in your Big Brother game folder. The HTML expects there to be an "Images" sub-folder, which is the standard game folder and includes the unencrypted "emotion" graphics. It also expects there to be a "decryptedImages" sub-folder, which you have to generate using the BBImageTools_v0.3.1.1 program. This folder then contains all the other needed graphics in an unencrypted form.

Alternatively, download the unencryted graphics from here:

With the v0.13.0.007 release the images are already decrypted, so the HTML looks for all images in teh default Images sub-folder.

The "start" file is just named FormattedDialog.html. This contains a Table of Contents and the text of the "Possibilities". Clicking on the links will open the correct file for the "Game Sequence". I've included a drop-down and small bit of javascript that allows you to change the size of the big images for better scrolling.

I'd love whatever feedback you have and any suggestions for improvements. When things have settled down a bit with the code I plan to release it on GitHub or somewhere. (I'm writing a program I've called "VN2EB - Visual Novel 2 E-Book", which will eventually handle multiple sources - so far it's just "Big Brother" and "A Soldier's Life".)

Future Improvements:
  • Improve navigation from a sub-file back to the Table of Contents, move Back and Forward in total list, etc. etc.
  • Include reading in any MOD.TXT file and put its contents in the output too.
  • Improve the vertical bar display that joins "multiple choices/branches" to be a bit clearer.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Cheers,

Thug73

how can I use this program?

ShangTsung

Aug 6, 2017
it would be so great to have the game in visual novel format without all the grinding and waiting

Status
Not open for further replies.