• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

(Bad) Google Translate Japanese in VNs

muschi26

Engaged Member
Jun 22, 2019
When playing Once in a Lifetime the other day (which is otherwise pretty good), I came across a scene where some characters were speaking Japanese. Terrible, obviously Google Translated Japanese. And it made me realize that I’ve seen the same thing in several other VNs before. What I really don’t get is that it’s always completely pointless too: it’s immediately followed by a word-for-word English translation every time (usually one character what was said for another character who doesn’t understand Japanese), and frequently most of characters who should be speaking a foreign language aren’t anyway. It just leaves me wondering, why? OK, I get that it’s just a gimmick, but then why even bother at that point? Funnily enough, I’ve never seen this done with any other languages. Is it just by coincidence? Does anyone have accounts of other languages getting this treatment?

Anyway, if you’re a VN creator who’s doing this… IDK, please stop? I don’t think you’re impressing anyone with your Google Translate copy-paste skills, and it just looks silly to anyone who actually understands the language.

Or if you really do need that gratuitous Japanese scene, send me a DM and I’ll do my best to give you a translation. It won’t be perfect, but it’ll be better than Google Translate, at least. I can do French too.