Mod Ren'Py Abandoned Babysitter: Interface, Preferences, and Autosave/Quicksave Mod [v0.0.6] [OhWee]

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Attention!!!

This mod is obsolete, as most of it has been incorporated into the newer versions of Babysitter.

It is no longer being supported.

-------------------------------------------------

Greetings!

I like tinkering with interfaces a bit, and saw a few things I could do with the Babysitter interface to make it a bit more tablet friendly, and maybe more pleasing visually.

This mod adjusts the ingame screen, consolidating some of the info text with (modified) icons, show's the Player's horniness level (this affects a few events), shows the Day (to help you keep track), and adds Menu and Quicksave buttons (tablet users will appreciate this).

Babysitter_Ingame_Interface2.jpg

It also modifies the preference screen, adding/reusing a nice pic of Christine, and adds a few more options.

Babysitter_Preferences_Mod.jpg

Finally, it makes the Autosave and Quicksave slots available to the player, adds two more pages for saves (plus the Autosave and Quicksave pages), and adds an additional save/load slot to each of the pages.

Babysitter_SaveScreen_Mod.jpg

New for Version 6!
I've added some new navigation buttons to make it a little easier to find your way around the apartment.

BedroomBedSSWip1.jpg BedroomClosetBedArrow.jpg BedroomOutCouchHover.jpg ChristineRoom2.jpg LivingRoomNavWip2.jpg BalconyNav.jpg kitchennavwip1.jpg EntryHallNewNav.jpg BathroomNav.jpg

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

To install, grab the game folder enclosed into the attached .7z file, and drag it into the Babysitter 0.0.6 folder. It'll automatically place the added files in the proper locations. If you've extracted the game, it'll ask you if you want to modify the folders, this is fine, and it'll also ask you for permission to overwrite the screens.rpy file. Click 'yes' and you are done!

Note that any previous autosaves (if you've been playing for a bit) will be in place already - the game has been autosaving all along, and not telling you about them.

That's it! Feedback is appreciated!

Babysitter V5_Mod.7z file attached below. This works fine for both 0.0.5 and 0.0.6.

changelog:

Version6 (9/30/17):
- Added some new navigation options/arrows to the apartment navigation. Fixed a minor error.

Version 5:
- Eliminated the need to modify script.rpy. This should now work with 0.0.4, 0.0.5 and 0.0.6, although I doubt that anyone will be playing 0.0.4 at this point...

Version 2:
- This makes minor adjustments to the centering of info text for the characters on the icons. - It also changes the 'Day' display text to a button, so that you can show hide the icons below it (Money, Horniness, and the Menu/Quicksave buttons).
- Readme updated, and I'm now including the script.rpy file with the fix described immediately above in a separate folder. Instructions for what is changed in script.rpy (2 lines are added) to avoid the minor error are detailed in the readme, for those wishing to modify their own script.rpy.

Ryahn

Birb Skull Fuckery
Staff member
Game Compressor
Donor
Jul 5, 2017

RazzleDazzle

Donor
Apr 29, 2017
this causes a script reading error any time i put it into the game folder. i did some process of elimination and the game worked fine extracting the rpa. then it worked fine after unlocking the command console, but the moment i add these files into the game it crashes every single time.

EDIT- I tried to pretend i knew how to code and fiddled with some of the text in there and i couldn't get the error to go away, but i DID manage to make the game crash so many times that i had to just make a new folder for it. RIP. my dreams will always be dreams.

Last edited:

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
this causes a script reading error any time i put it into the game folder. i did some process of elimination and the game worked fine extracting the rpa. then it worked fine after unlocking the command console, but the moment i add these files into the game it crashes every single time.

OK, I just tested using a new game, and I see the same error (was testing with previous saves before). It's not a major issue, just hit the 'ignore' button for now, and you should still be able to play just fine beyond that point, with 'Day' appearing normally when the 'info screen' is added.

It looks like the 'Day' variable and the 'MikeHorny' variable aren't getting initially assigned until after you grab your shirt, after the phone call from your sister, with an 'info screen' call happening just before you grab your shirt.

I can assign those variables a bit earlier - it needs to be assigned before the 'info screen' call which shows the money, etc info is first made. This would involve changing script.rpy as well, something I had hoped to avoid as other modders, plus the game developer, will regularly modify the script.rpy file.

The change that needs to happen is currently in script.rpy after line 1605, using Notepad +/Notepad 2 or some other text editor, here:
Code:
"
    python:
        Horny = 0
        Money = 300
        Day = 1
        MikeHorny = 0
    show screen control()
    show screen money()
menu:
    "Stand up and grab a shirt":
Just add the two lines, Day = 1 and MikeHorny = 0, as shown above, and this error will go away.

While you are here, feel free to add $5 to your money total, should you want to buy nice things for your daughter AND sign up for that website later...

Attached is a script.rpy with this change, which DOES NOT add the $5 to the money total as I just suggested... Simply drag this script.rpy into the /game folder, after backing up that file somewhere just in case. You can also just rename the script.rpy to oldscript.rpy before adding the new script.rpy file.

Apologies for missing this error, but then that's what threads like this are for!

Last edited:
Reactions: moszter

RazzleDazzle

Donor
Apr 29, 2017
OK, I just tested using a new game, and I see the same error (was testing with previous saves before). It's not a major issue, just hit the 'ignore' button for now, and you should still be able to play just fine beyond that point, with 'Day' appearing normally when the 'info screen' is added.

It looks like the 'Day' variable and the 'MikeHorny' variable aren't getting initially assigned until after you grab your shirt, after the phone call from your sister, with an 'info screen' call happening just before you grab your shirt.

I can assign those variables a bit earlier - it needs to be assigned before the 'info screen' call which shows the money, etc info is first made. This would involve changing script.rpy as well, something I had hoped to avoid as other modders, plus the game developer, will regularly modify the script.rpy file.

The change that needs to happen is currently in script.rpy after line 1605, using Notepad +/Notepad 2 or some other text editor, here:
Code:
"
    python:
        Horny = 0
        Money = 300
        Day = 1
        MikeHorny = 0
    show screen control()
    show screen money()
menu:
    "Stand up and grab a shirt":
Just add the two lines, Day = 1 and MikeHorny = 0, as shown above, and this error will go away.

While you are here, feel free to add $5 to your money total, should you want to buy nice things for your daughter AND sign up for that website later...

Attached is a script.rpy with this change, which DOES NOT add the $5 to the money total as I just suggested... Simply drag this script.rpy into the /game folder, after backing up that file somewhere just in case. You can also just rename the script.rpy to oldscript.rpy before adding the new script.rpy file.

Apologies for missing this error, but then that's what threads like this are for!
Okay, okay. So I wasn't too far off. I wasn't thinking of the order the commands were in. Should have, but didn't. I do have notepad++ but it was more for editing HTML game saves and changing bot profiles in other games. Thanks for letting me know the proper way, btw. I just wish there were more scenes in this game atm. I wanted to go through the images to see if there's some hidden stuff I missed but I don't wanna see it there, I wanna see it in game.

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Okay, okay. So I wasn't too far off. I wasn't thinking of the order the commands were in. Should have, but didn't. I do have notepad++ but it was more for editing HTML game saves and changing bot profiles in other games. Thanks for letting me know the proper way, btw. I just wish there were more scenes in this game atm. I wanted to go through the images to see if there's some hidden stuff I missed but I don't wanna see it there, I wanna see it in game.
The thing that clued me in was the 'Day' variable causing the error. Of course, as I realized as soon as I figured out what the error was, the two variables needed to be initially assigned a few lines earlier... I got the MikeHorny variable error as soon as I tested the 'Day' variable fix, as it's also initially assigned after you grab the shirt.

I feel real bad for not catching this in my own testing. If I had started a new game instead of using existing saves, I'd have spotted this immediately. I was focused on testing the displays for all three gals, hence why I was using a later save, and had just assumed that Day and MikeHorny were assigned initially, not after some initial dialogue. My bad!

Thank you for your patience!

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
I've updated this mod to Version 2.

The changes are extremely minor. I adjusted the centering and placement of the text on top of the smiley and heart icons, and changed the 'Day' header to a button that will show/hide the Money, Horniness, and Menu icons.

Here's a screenshot showing the tweaks to the interface:

The .7z for V2 now includes a separate folder that includes the 'fixed' script.rpy file, to avoid the minor error after you start a new game entirely (discussed above), and also instructions in the readme as to what you need to add to script.rpy to 'fix' the error (for those that have modified script.rpy files already due to their own mods, etc.).

As mentioned above, It's a really minor change which requires adding 2 lines to script.rpy.

I also tweaked one piece of artwork as well. I modified my already modified Money icon from V1, losing the 'blue oval' at the top to accomodate the Date button.

An updated screenshot for the ingame interface is also included and is now shown in the original post.

Those with the V1 version of the mod, you aren't missing out on anything, but it's pretty easy to install the new version if you wish.

The new .7z file for v2 is in the original post for this thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: muttdoggy

T4bbo

Game Developer
Apr 23, 2017
Nice... thanks for tagging me.

Good job and ideas OhWee... I like the preference screen and points in the emoticons... :) I was actually thinking to completely re-done the GUI.

But for sure I will post this whether Patreons like it to implement it for time being... :)

T4bbo

Reactions: OhWee

Regardie

Jul 27, 2017
Methodically installing the version 2 of this mod, I saw the uncaught exception error if I did not update the script.rpy file as has been described. The mod then worked as designed after clicking ignore.

Then I added your replacement script.rpy file and the game refused to launch. I will include the traceback.txt but I can tell you what the error is right now. Using Winmerge to compare your file to the original I found extra spaces at the end of line 1605 "money = 300". My version of RenPY does not like that at all. I deleted the spaces and saved and the game launches fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: OhWee

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Methodically installing the version 2 of this mod, I saw the uncaught exception error if I did not update the script.rpy file as has been described. The mod then worked as designed after clicking ignore.

Then I added your replacement script.rpy file and the game refused to launch. I will include the traceback.txt but I can tell you what the error is right now. Using Winmerge to compare your file to the original I found a tab character at the end of line 1605 "money = 300". My version of RenPY does not like tabs at all. I deleted the tab and saved and the game launches fine.

Thanks very much for the heads up on this! And for spotting the error for me!!!
I didn't see this issue/error in my own playtesting, but then that's what threads like this are for.
Swapping out script.7z file now.

Last edited:

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
An update:

So, the current version of this mod will work with Babysitter 0.5 without any issues IF:
You do NOT replace the script (it's in that separate folder), and you hit ignore r.e. that one error that shows up after you talk to your sister. You can play on past that point with no issues.

I have an update for this ready to go for v5. I put a default variable assignment for the necessary variables in screens.rpy, which eliminates the need to modify script.rpy.

Attached is the updated version. As usual, let me know if you have any issues.

Reactions: moszter

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
OP has now been updated to Version 5, for 0.0.5.

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Just a heads up. This mod (version V5) works fine with 0.0.6 as is. See OP for the files.

Reactions: xןʞ
Sep 24, 2017
Hello newbie here..
After downloading the game from this link, mega.nz / #!le5QRQjb!r8i0_fPBmf2REuCmAuIl30OKT0MAHvPuzD0kDt0ew7I
Then upon playing until day 6 or 7(I think) I encountered this error:
"While loading <'Image' 'backgrounds/Day5_ChristineWokeUp_05_naked .jpg'>:
File "game/script.rpy", line 10923, in script
IOError: Couldn't find file 'backgrounds/Day5_ChristineWokeUp_05_naked .jpg'.
is it a bug or I downloaded from wrong link?"

Also another question, why does some of the post from another websites that contains Babysitter 0.0.6 game has larger size(1.2gb-1.3gb)?

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
OK, the error you are seeing is related to the core game, not this mod. A couple of people have reported the error you are seeing in the .

As for the download size, that sounds a bit bigger than what I downloaded via the links here. Pepe Le Pew did do a slightly compressed version as well (to squeeze it in below 500 MB), but the file I grabbed was about 665 MB. While I haven't seen the error you mentioned, I haven't played the game from the beginning for 0.0.6, just from my last 0.0.5 save point.