Ren'Py Audio Issues Roundabout

Nov 4, 2018
So i heard that for the animations to play on renpy that your audio has to be working but im currently having issues with my audio Windows 11 and all is there another way to make it work even without audio.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
So i heard that for the animations to play on renpy that your audio has to be working but im currently having issues with my audio Windows 11 and all is there another way to make it work even without audio.
"Working" is a big word. What is needed is for Ren'Py to believe that there's audio on your system ; many solved this by just plugging on a headset.

anotheruser

Sep 1, 2018
It seems to work quite well in Linux, provided it can reserve an ALSA device (Ren'Py apparently doesn't understand PulseAudio or PipeWire audio systems by default). Have you tried running it under WSL? If your audio isn't working in Windows, you probably still won't get sound, but as long as Ren'Py thinks you have a usable audio device you should still be able to see the animations.

n.b. In actual Linux, it's easy to create a dummy audio device with no underlying hardware. I'm guessing that this is also true in WSL, but I have not tried it.

WhoaNeo

Jun 10, 2021
It seems to work quite well in Linux, provided it can reserve an ALSA device (Ren'Py apparently doesn't understand PulseAudio or PipeWire audio systems by default). Have you tried running it under WSL? If your audio isn't working in Windows, you probably still won't get sound, but as long as Ren'Py thinks you have a usable audio device you should still be able to see the animations.

n.b. In actual Linux, it's easy to create a dummy audio device with no underlying hardware. I'm guessing that this is also true in WSL, but I have not tried it.
Apologies for the necro but I just ran into this after switching over to pipewire.

Check the SDL version of the game causing a problem. From libSDL 2.0.16 and onward the SDL_AUDIODRIVER env variable supports comma-separated lists, ie. export SDL_AUDIODRIVER=pipewire,alsa,steam. This breaks games on earlier versions like City of Broken Dreamers. Modify the launcher with "export SDL_AUDIODRIVER=alsa" (or pulseaudio, if that's what you use) and it'll work again.

Reactions: anotheruser