Ren'Py At the risk of sounding stupid

LinusMundane

Jun 30, 2022
How is it, that I download a file from the web, extract it, run the game, make saves, complete and then delete the game folder and zip file and if I download the game again, my saves are still there?

Atemsiel

Developer of Stormside
Game Developer
Jan 4, 2022
There's an area on your computer under your user profile called appdata. It's hidden by default, but if you enable viewing hidden files you'll be able to find it under your user profile. In there is a folder called Roaming, and in there is most likely where the saves are, though it depends on the engine of the game you're talking about. That's where RenPy games hide stuff at least. If you want to totally clear your saves, delete the games content from that folder too.

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\RenPy

This is specifically for windows. I have no idea for Mac or Linux.

LinusMundane

Jun 30, 2022
That's fantastic, thanks! Until I upgrade storage, I only have 250GB total, so it gets eaten up fast. Just knowing I can delete and rely on saves to exist is wonderful.

Atemsiel

Developer of Stormside
Game Developer
Jan 4, 2022
That's fantastic, thanks! Until I upgrade storage, I only have 250GB total, so it gets eaten up fast. Just knowing I can delete and rely on saves to exist is wonderful.
It's worth taking backups of any saves you definitely want to keep though. Like the real important ones. The ones in appdata are usually fine, but I think windows technically considers them temp files so they are sometimes deleted by automatic disk clearing. I could be wrong, but better safe than sorry.

Reactions: LinusMundane