2D Art from my upcoming game

phantasmove

Game Developer
Aug 12, 2019
I liked both images, but my favorite is the first one.

Can you give any details about the project?

HarDDeer

Game Developer
Feb 7, 2020
I liked both images, but my favorite is the first one.

Can you give any details about the project?

Glad you liked it. In the first act (which is almost finished) the main heroine is the girl from the second picture.

About the game... Hm... It's difficult, at least for me, to describe it concisely.
Genre-wise, it's a mix of an RPG-maker game (although I'm using a different engine), a visual novel and a comix in a fantasy setting. The game includes the gameplay elements of a detective, item searching (not a difficult one) and choosing the right answers in the dialogues based on the information you get.

In the game world there is magic, mages of different power and the disease called "the arcane fever". Its nature is still unknown and it seems to occur randomly. The main character (a player) works as a "Spellbreaker" and one of his tasks is to dispell the arcane fever of people who get sick. But our hero, due to some circumstances, uses rather non-conventional methods in his practice, different from other mages.

You know, when describing it,"Golden Boy" anime comes to my mind, where the main characters appears in someone's life, solves a problem , wins a heart, etc. And the "Arcane fever" is a great tool to play with different fetishes, latent fantasies and in generlal just a good way to develop a character.

HarDDeer

Game Developer
Feb 7, 2020
The face looks flat without the nose. I know hentai artists minimize the nose to draw more attention to the eyes but they are exaggerated already so the face ends up looking very unnatural.

It's a question of stylistic preference. Some people like more detailed art, others like simplistic style so that they can imagine
what's looking best for them.
I'm still experimenting with my style. I may start another game after this one, drawn in more western artstyle. I'm not looking into the future that far.

I completely understand that anime is far from anatomically correct. But people project images based on basic forms. For example, in side view an anime face is often being drawn too elongated and rather similar to furry. (pic 1)

Have you ever been in a situation where your brain perceived one object as a completely different one?
One time I took a plastic bag for a cat, hah.

That's why if you look at anime art as realistic, then the faces with poorly expressed noses may seem flat, but it's the question of how literally you perceive those schematic images. I thing that's the root of why some people like anime artstyle and others don't.

I'd like to write a couple more thoughts, but this post is becoming a dissertation, so I'll end with it, hah.

HarDDeer

Game Developer
Feb 7, 2020
Thanks i almost forgot how freaking amazing Vampire D looked.

It's not the best screenshot either. It' like they tried to increase the resolution using a special program and lost the details.
I also like the style, colors and animations in Vampire Hunter D 2001 . Not 1985 lol.