• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Ren'Py Are these Games Ever Going to End ?

SeventhVixen

Game Developer
Jan 13, 2019
250k per update? Why end it?

Joking aside, even at full time work making content goes the slow route.

Even in the most optimistic of situations (You feel well, you don't have many situations out of work to attend to...), taking in consideration Daz3d and a common game engine, and mid-high quality of creation, making a 30 renders-5 minutes *new* scene, with a new custom location, some new custom character, some new props, (and not talking about making the 3d models yourself as I do constantly) could take easily from 1-2 days to a week; preparing the location, preparing the characters, posing them, making test renders, fixing what doesn't work, throwing Daz out of the window, go get Daz again, make 30 renders, redo 10 of them, write the text, script it in the game, make sure don't break anything, fix what you've break, and 3 weeks later you have a 20 minutes update.

Of course, there is lot of cheap tricks to lower quality like just a 10 minutes conversation with just 2 o 3 characters poses and 1 background (Nothing wrong about it, just not the quality that you users are expecting preferably). It is always preferably to have some filler than just have none, I guess.

The thing is... This is what you can expect from a single developer: 20 minutes of full *new* content a month, at regular quality. (Also you can get some hours of grinding loops.... they're almost free to create). And usually less because there is the sudden need of a new menu, the rework of that bug that never goes away...

PS: Back In christmas I put 100 hours making a custom sci-fi suit from scratch. It is worth it? Yes... but maybe patreons will appreciate that inversion of time when I can just use some premade asset? Well... that's why the patreon model is what's for, supposedly is to support that the making of the specific game/artist you like continue to do his thing, but unfortunatelly, If you don't want crap you can't ask to make it faster.. :/