Are P2p Connections Dangerous?

HolyZombie

Aug 5, 2016
We're talking about torrents. You read that right. Torrents. Or Peer To Peer Connections.
I know most of us (if not all) comes from torrent groups somewhere, why?
Because downloading via torrent is awesome.

Reliable, Resumable, Can stay up forever (as long as there's seeder), Easy, Little to no adds, The ability to choose files to download, and many more

I'm not saying file-sharing sites are no good, but to me, torrent is the only golden way to download something. File-sharing sites became more unpredictable nowadays, like Mediafire suddenly became unresumable, unability to download via manager, quota restrictions, slow speed and many reasons.

The only good one are Mega and Gofile. For now. We can be sure in the near future, those problems will show up nonetheless.

So, why not use torrent here?
Again, I didn't mean any offense or sarcasm. It's just my opinion.

Reactions: Ankosh, F95 and Gio

nuclearnemo

Aug 5, 2016
What i personally always find troublesome with torrents is the fact that download speed can vary way to much. If you are one of the first downloaders of the file then there is a high change that you have a low download speed or in the worst case not even a download speed if the uploader is offline currently. This afcaurse can be solved with seedboxes and the like, but thye cost money and that is something that not everybody is willing to use. If you use a site like MEGA or what not then you will atleast have an always accessible link when (usually) a steady download speed. If it isn't then it mostly depends on your internet speed.

As for what you said with problems surrounding Mega and Gofile, those things will happen with torrents as well. You either have to rent a seedbox for a long period of time, or you have to have that the original uploader remains online. Anyway, what i mostly think is that the size of most of the files on here is not big enough to warrant a torrent. If a file was bigger then, let's say, 5 GB i would say consider a torrent. But if it's just 500mb, then using Mega is far easier, since the game will be updated soon anyways.

TCMS

Quote my posts if you want an answer
Donor
Former Staff
Aug 5, 2016
Fixed the title. It's "are" not "does"
And yes they are dangerous if you are in a country that activly enforces laws against "illegal downloads". Now to ask your most direct question:
So, why not use torrent here?
Because it doesn't work that way. Torrents either have a lot of people or have seedboxes. Seedboxes are expensive and the more games there are the more bandwith you need. If we had all the content on here on reliable speeds we would be having immense costs. And then there's the problem, one person owns the seedbox but we get users from everywhere giving us content. So we'd have to wait for said content to be added by 1 person to the seedboxes. And obviously the next problem would be people in countries that have strict copyright laws, privacy, etc. It's not viable at all to have a torrent based system on here.