Anyone remember the maid in the game Mansion?

fauxplayer

Engaged Member
Uploader
Donor
May 28, 2017
In my childhood I spent a lot of time playing a text-based game called Mansion. I don't mean Mystery Mansion, which was an 8-bit graphics game for Atari, Commodore 64, etc. I mean Mansion--a text-based game written in Fortran (!), released in 1978 (!!), which I played by connecting to a HP3000 mainframe on a 1200-baude modem (!!!) by dialing a long distance number with my rotary phone and placing the handset into a cradle (!!!!). It was loosely based on the game Clue but contained a lot of fantasy elements taken from the original Adventure (xyzzy anyone?) and also Dungeon (which later became Zork).

The game begins with you being dropped off at the entrance to a Mansion and you had a finite number of moves to solve the murder mystery and also kill a vampire, a werewolf, and find a way to escape the inevitable implosion of the mansion before midnight by finding and using the professor's matter-xmitter machine. The murder mystery part was pretty easy--you gathered the murderer and the murder weapon into the room where the murder was committed based on obvious clues, but some of the other aspects were more challenging.

I recently discovered an emulator that allowed me to play the original game, and I was able to dive into a deep pool of nostalgia while also solving a lot more of the game's puzzles that defeated me as a child (yay grown-up me!)

But the reason I'm posting here is because many, many years ago I was playing the game with my older teenage cousin and he rather intuitively entered a text command that I would not have considered at my then-tender age: "Fuck maid." The output of this eye-opening command suggested that the conditions were not quite right to have sex with the maid, but that it was definitely possible. :eek:

So I'm posting this in the obscure hope that someone in this community might have insight into whether having sex with the maid is possible, and if so, how it can be accomplished.

And either way, if anyone has interesting things to post about this game or other old-school games, I'm interested.