Anyone having problems with standalone Flash recently?

uradamus

Jan 4, 2018
The past few days I've been having some really weird issues with Flash games played through the standalone projector. Basically there is a problem whenever I'm hovering over something interactive that would cause a new overlay to show up in that location, such as buttons with rollover and pressed variations or say trigger spots for something like a touching game that may update the facial expression or adding an animation to the bit being touched, etc. The overlay ends up a ways off to the left of where it should be and often looks like it is being tinted either red, green or blue.

I'm on Linux (Manjaro 64-bit w/ Mate desktop, everything seems to be up-to-date).
The Flash projector is on version 29.0.0.113.

I've had that player for a while now and never ran into issues with it in the past. It's been a month or two since I was last trying out any flash games though, so I'm not sure what happened between then and now. Firefox seems to play the same files just fine, but I'd rather avoid that extra overhead if possible.

Reactions: Buildingsarehere5

tooldev

Feb 9, 2018
Have you tried going back one version? I am using SA28 and have not seen anything like you describe

uradamus

Jan 4, 2018
28 seems to have the same issue for me. I'm starting to wonder if maybe the projector is making use of something else installed on my system that maybe updated and broke compatibility with Flash.

uradamus

Jan 4, 2018
So I found a partial solution to this problem. I figured I'd post it in case anyone else ran into this and found this thread. It turned out to be an issue related to hardware acceleration. Just disabling that fixed the issue with sprites being in the wrong place and often wrong color. Though Flash is definitely more sluggish now with the acceleration off. Luckily though I haven't seen any games where that really matters; in the worst case scenarios I just drop the quality down a notch.

To disable hardware acceleration, just right click anywhere on the window and choose settings, on the first tab that should have something like a monitor looking icon will be the checkbox for this option. Just uncheck the box and close the settings window and you should be good to go.