Unreal Engine Any guides to use all those Unreal Engine Assets shared here?

brasileirinho

Apr 28, 2021
What guides are available to help users make the most out of the many Unreal Engine assets shared here in the community? (no DAZ3D, it gives me the chills of uncanny valley)

I've never used any programming, modeling, or animation software before (except VAM, which is a different type of software). I'm looking for a guide that's very easy to follow, straightforward, and quick to put into practice.

Or, even better, is there a tool that can make it quick and easy to use those assets for NSFW content?

Thanks!

AlternateDreams

I'm tired, boss.
Game Developer
Apr 6, 2021
What's your goal?
I need more details, but I'll try to answer anyway.

It's probably best to find a tutorial on the basics of Unreal Engine on YouTube, as using SFW or NSFW assets is done in the same way. Unfortunately, I can only share tutorials on specific subjects, as I started with a general tutorial in my native language, which is probably not the same as yours. But a quick search will turn up some decent-looking tutorials.

I don't know of a "quick and easy" solution, and I don't think it exists.
Apparently you know how to use VAM. Just so you know, learning Unreal Engine takes longer. It's not necessarily harder, but it is longer.
And by "longer", I mean "much longer". And by "much longer" I mean REALLY longer.

So if you want to make something fast but still in 3D, it might be easier to continue with VAM, and why not learn C# while developing a game on VAM. But it depends on your goal.
But if you give more details about what you want to do, I might be able to help you more.

By the way, I checked your post history (no I'm not a creep) and it gave me some ideas of games to try in order to improve my knowledge, and that's why I replied to your answer. Thank you for that.

• Red Heart
Reactions: brasileirinho

Egglock

Oct 17, 2017
There are a few ways you can use assets tagged "Unreal".

"NOTE"
If the zip contains .uproject file, go to "UPROJECT".
If there is no .uproject, but a bunch of .uasset files go to "UASSET"
If it contains .uplugin, go to "UPLUGINS"

If none of the file above are in the zip, and they contain the following extension, FBX, OBJ, glTF, USD, they can be directly imported into the engine. Note that FBX is the default format UE accepts without having to enable plugins. If you see other formats such as glTF (refer to the link below) or USD (Refer to the link below). If the file is an .OBJ file, upon import it will prompt the FBX import settings. Enter your settings and Import.

Refer to this link for glTF Imports

Refer to this link for USD Imports

Everything I wrote was done using version 5.2, but these could also be done using previous version. However keep in mind that if for whatever reason you are going from latest engine version to previous version a lot of issue will occur. Especially if there are C++ or Blueprint assocaited with the project. It's safer to go from an older version project to an updated version, than vice versa, this applies to UPROJECTS, PLUGINS, and some UASSET.

.uasset files can be used in which ever version as long as there aren't any "C++" or "Blueprint" code attach to them, otherwise you might have to rebuild/modify them (as in the code, not the mesh). The same note above applies. The only problem I can foresee is materials, SFX, VFX and UMG so some modification might be needed. My advice is to avoid going from current version to previous versions.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

"NOTE"
Some zip files may contain multiple folders before you get to the root directory. Make sure you are one folder above the root directory before copying the folder. The Launcher will not recongize the project if it's in a nested folder structure.

".UPROJECT FILE"
1. Extract folder from the zip to -> Documents -> Unreal Projects
2. Launce UE, and choose the project that was extracted. If you do not see the project listed in the launcher, make sure the files are not nested in multiple folders. If the project was not cretead in the UE version you are using, it will prompt you to make a copy. Accept, and let it do its thing.
3. In the content browser, Select the folder + whatever you want -> Right Click -> Migrate -> Choose Project to Migrate to

".UASSETS FILE"
"NOTE"
Try to copy the folder instead of the files. I think UE maintains some kind of folder structure file that links assets to other assets. So things might break if you only copy over the .uassets files and not the folder itself.

1. Make sure you have a project
2. Navigate through the zip file until you see the .uasset files, go up one directory and copy the folder into
Documents -> Unreal Projects -> (Your project Folder) -> Content

".UPLUGINS FILE"
IMPORTANT
Make sure your project is C++ and not Blueprint.

1. Go To your project folder, located in Documents -> Unreal Projects -> (Your project folder) -> Plugins (if there isn't one create it and name it Plugins)

2. Copy the folder from the zip. (You will know it's a plugin because it has the extension .uplugin)

3. Open that folder, and delete the folder "Intermediate" and "Binaries" folder

4. Go to your projects root directory and launch the project exe. It will prompt you that some modules need to be rebuilt. Accept and let it do it's thing. After it's done. It will launch and

1. Give you a prompt at the bottom right, read and follow the prompt.
2. Doesn't show anything, if so continue doing whatever you need to do.

After that you can do the following.

A. If you want the plugin to be globally access across the many projects you create, do the following,

A-1. Go to your Project folder -> Plugins

A-2. Open your UE version folder. Go to wherever you have Epic Launcher Installed, the folder structure should be,
Epic Games -> UE_version# -> Engine -> Plugins -> marketplace

A-3. Copy the plugins folder from "A-1" to "A-2"

A-4. Everytime you create a new project you will have access to the plugin. To access the plugin do the following.

Inside the editor, at the top click on Edit -> Plugins -> Search for your plugin -> Check the box -> Restart Editor

otherwise if for whatever reason you don't want it to sit inside the UE_version# plugins directory, than just copy it from your projects Plugin directory over to the newely created project directory. Keep in mind that you will have to create the plugins directory.

This should cover most of the Unreal assets located here, or if you grabbed it from some other place. Below is a link to a more indepth plugin rebuild guide.

• Red Heart
Reactions: brasileirinho