• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Ren'Py Android Build Distribution

hornyhothaven

Game Developer
Dec 25, 2023
I need help or guide with android build distribution, I'm lost on how to install and set this up.

Any help is appreciated.

1704339107735.png

KhalsGames

Jan 3, 2024
Heyo - in that screenshot, click the link in the bottom right saying download and install JDK. Once that's complete, you have 2 options for building your app - either a play bundle (for uploading to Google play - likely not what you want) or a universal APK. APK's are files you can just download to your Android device, tap to open, and it'll ask you if you want to install it. That's the one you'll want. Play bundles can't be used in the same fashion and are only installable from the play store.

Unless it's changed a lot since I last used RenPy that should be about it. Let me know if this works :)

hornyhothaven

Game Developer
Dec 25, 2023
Heyo - in that screenshot, click the link in the bottom right saying download and install JDK. Once that's complete, you have 2 options for building your app - either a play bundle (for uploading to Google play - likely not what you want) or a universal APK. APK's are files you can just download to your Android device, tap to open, and it'll ask you if you want to install it. That's the one you'll want. Play bundles can't be used in the same fashion and are only installable from the play store.

Unless it's changed a lot since I last used RenPy that should be about it. Let me know if this works :)
Hi, I'm stuck at the installation part.

I click the please download and install the JDK thing at the bottom, it redirected me to a website where I downloaded JDK.

I tried downloading JDK for windows in zip file, I don't know what to do with them. I tried downloading JDK for windows but in MSI file format.

The .MSI file format is executable so I did install that but its not working, my renpy launcher still asking for me to download and install the JDK.

KhalsGames

Jan 3, 2024
Hmm, that's odd. Have you tried restarting after installing the JDK? IIRC it does some work on your PATH variable which usually requires a full PC restart

hornyhothaven

Game Developer
Dec 25, 2023
Hmm, that's odd. Have you tried restarting after installing the JDK? IIRC it does some work on your PATH variable which usually requires a full PC restart
I'll try that tomorrow, I can't restart my pc now I have on-going animation render.

Thank you so much for responding btw.

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Might not be needed anymore, but I've posted this before and it's seemed to help people:

I installed , which I installed along with Oracles version (not sure if both are needed, but they don't take up much space. So I left them both.). Problem is for the latter, you need an Oracle account. Some generous soul over on Github made this little tool to download them without an account. So basically:

Open page > Go to the page on another tab > You'll likely want the x64 Windows version of what is currently "jdk-8u301-windows-x64.exe" (I used 291 myself, should work the same, though.), click on 'jdk-8u301-windows-x64.exe' on the Oracle page, check the license agreement box, and once the download box turns green, right click on the box green box and copy the link. > Go back to the first link listed at the top of this paragraph and paste the link you copied into the box. > Hit 'convert' > click the given link > will start download automatically. Close Ren'py and install. I could be missing a step, but I'm pretty sure that's the process I took.

LightmanP

Modder
Game Developer
Oct 5, 2020
Might not be needed anymore, but I've posted this before and it's seemed to help people:
The second part is not needed at all with OpenJDK. And what official Ren'Py documentation to install. Sometimes one may need to also set up JAVA_HOME manually.

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
The second part is not needed at all with OpenJDK. And what official Ren'Py documentation to install. Sometimes one may need to also set up JAVA_HOME manually.
Yeah, I haven't done it in a bit. Just recall OpenJDK not working for me, and the Oracle version worked right away.