• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

[AMD] Unity games don't work in fullscreen anymore

Cross Zero

Jun 12, 2018
Ok, so I found out that my AMD drivers *really* don't like unity. The game boots and the audio works, but the screen is black and flickering, which is visible because the cursor is on screen. I also am able to hear when I'm hovering over the buttons if the game has a sound for it. Curiously it works fine if I play windowed and only behaves like this when going fullscreen...

Has anybody an Idea what causes this?

SGM1286

Jul 18, 2017
I would look for help on this behavior on unity & AMD support forms. As well as to game devs.

Also system specs type would by help full in finding solutions. And make sure you have the latest devise drivers and updates.

I don't use AMD products so I can't provide any more than this simple advice.

Cross Zero

Jun 12, 2018
Already looked there and nothing helped. VSR is off, stretching is on full panel and I already deinstalled via DUU in safe mode and reinstalled and it doesn't help. There are barely any threads for 2020 either.

System specs:
Windows 8.1
I7-4770k @ 3.80GHz
Radeon 5700 XT
16GB DDR3 RAM

For anyone wondering how I can use the Radeon: Windows 7 Drivers work with Windows 8.1 without problems and switching to Windows 10 won't help because apparently Win10 has EVEN MORE problems with unity right now.
Also it's literally only fullscreen mode. Windowed or exclusive window mode (which barely ever works with unity) works perfectly fine.

SGM1286

Jul 18, 2017
Since Your Graphics Card & Processor supports DX 12 and, win 8.1 is or about to go end of life. even with unity problems I would still recommend Win 10 upgrade, (as you can still get the upgrade for free its just a little tricky. Just google). Also if you can make a backup copy of your win 8.1 hard Drive you should.

Edit you could also roll back you drivers or look into custom drivers as they some times have more features.
also If you can switch back and forth between the Processors HD Graphics 4600 Graphics processor and the AMD card that might help.

Last edited:

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
There are some solutions here:

I would say that the Control Panel is what you would like to look at.