Alternatives to Patreon - Maybe for Adult games

gamersglory

Xpression Games
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 23, 2017
There are a lot of variables true. How was it people trusted a no-name company like Patreon. I had never heard of it tell 6 months ago. As for the non-money and site-building issues I have pretty much researched all of it.

PixelRepublic

I ■ Pixels
Donor
Jun 4, 2017
There are a lot of variables true. How was it people trusted a no-name company like Patreon. I had never heard of it tell 6 months ago
They're been around for a lot longer than that (2013 or 14), if you're a developer wanting to enter the market, you should research the industry.

As was the times of the crowd funding craze a few years back, any seemingly reputable sources was jumped on and made into a success.

PixelRepublic

I ■ Pixels
Donor
Jun 4, 2017
Regardless, without some established team in place to develop, promote and maintain a challenger to Patreon, it's going to be a tall order to turn into a success.

I always thought that F95 was the perfect breading ground for such a team to be established, or even for the existing F95 staff to persue themselves. But still, easier said than done.

gamersglory

Xpression Games
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 23, 2017
Well, Would not call Patron a success compared to Kickstarter and IndieGoGo. With Patreon it was more right place right time. The things that make them work can easily be replicated and there is a ton of room to make an improved alternative platform. I mean what does a dev get for there 10% taken out of every pledge. one page on a generic looking site. That's It?

baneini

Jun 28, 2017
They should definitely create pages on alternative sites before Patreon just flat out bans them.

Sam

Sysadmin
Staff member
Administrator
Dec 22, 2016
You as a Dev may have noticed a dip in your donations and that is do to patreons making a mass exodus from the falling platform.
Do you have any sources for that? There doesn't appear to be any dip for the majority of creators, if anything things have been increasing over the last few months. Perhaps there are other explanations for what you're seeing for certain creators.

There are no viable alternatives at the moment.

Also I'm merging this with the other patreon thread.

PixelRepublic

I ■ Pixels
Donor
Jun 4, 2017
Again, research.

Patreon, a small company, made $7.5 million revenue last year. Considering they're 4 years old. I would call that a success. Sure, the adult guidelines and the new fees are fucking them up. Things have been good up until now.

Yoshiiki

Game Developer
Nov 10, 2017
First is how well patreon is known. Money issue aside, without proper promotion you won't get the same thing that patreon offers. You have to not only move devs to a new platform, you also need to move supporters.
While patreon is shit, this is where people are.
It's exactly the same issue with youtube, fb, twitter and many others. While some alternatives exist/can be done, that's where majority of people are. So if you want to get as many people as possible, you have to go there.
Now, here comes the issue of money. You need to transfer it, which company will you ask that will agree and won't pressure you? Paypal? Because it's the biggest known and they hate nsfw.

Reactions: PixelRepublic

gamersglory

Xpression Games
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 23, 2017
I'm talking about the adult content subset not all of patreon. I talk to quite a few devs who are not happy with the drop in adult revenue

PixelRepublic

I ■ Pixels
Donor
Jun 4, 2017
I'm talking about the adult content subset not all of patreon. I talk to quite a few devs who are not happy with the drop in adult revenue
The point is that Patreon is a generic crowd funding network. Meaning it has a wide user base. So attracting people to your specific genre is easy, because the large user base is already there.

Also, just saying "not happy with the drop in adult revenue" is meaningless unless you have month by month earnings reports for these devs, and can directly correlate dips in earnings with changes in Patreon policy.

Roads are always bumpy and people find ways to adapt and recover. While yes, I agree that an alternative to Patreon is needed and would be amazing. The run for the hills attitude isn't productive.

gamersglory

Xpression Games
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 23, 2017
You can always work directly with a banking institution to route money where it needs to go. I've talked to a few. but can't name names needless to say their name would not be tied to the site itself though because of PR backlash. But they work for other adult related companies.

Sam

Sysadmin
Staff member
Administrator
Dec 22, 2016
Care to name some names? As I said, just because a few creators have had their revenue decrease, doesn't mean that its because of the Patreon crackdown, there can be other reasons. Correlation does not imply causation.

baneini

Jun 28, 2017
Money issue aside, without proper promotion you won't get the same thing that patreon offers.
Most patreon pages I see are just short description of the game with a bunch of posts behind a paywall. The patreon really isn't a promotion page. The forums do all of the promoting and people just click a direct link to the place where they can pay for it.
i don't see why another site wouldn't work the same way, as long as the system itself is stable and trustworthy. The most important thing is simply to have a mechanism to move funds conveniently.

gamersglory

Xpression Games
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 23, 2017
The point is that Patreon is a generic crowd funding network. Meaning it has a wide user base. So attracting people to your specific genre is easy, because the large user base is already there.

Also, just saying "not happy with the drop in adult revenue" is meaningless unless you have month by month earnings reports for these devs, and can directly correlate dips in earnings with changes in Patreon policy.

Roads are always bumpy and people find ways to adapt and recover. While yes, I agree that an alternative to Patreon is needed and would be amazing. The run for the hills attitude isn't productive.
month by month earnings reports for these devs are on this site

thanatos69

Oct 28, 2016
Those are the die-hard incest fans who think that by removing their pledge will make the devs change their minds and risk a permanent ban to please a small minority.

Besides, it's the first days of the month. This always happens (Patreon has to deal with a lot of fraud and fake accounts, especially in the adult niche. Some people have their CC expired, etc.) and the numbers pick up by the second week of the month. I think it's too soon to jump into any conclusion.

gamersglory

Xpression Games
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 23, 2017
Devs I know i can name Ptolemy, Dark Silver bigtime. Mr. Dots most of it was dropping the incest content.

Sam

Sysadmin
Staff member
Administrator
Dec 22, 2016
month by month earnings reports for these devs are on this site
I know about Graphtreon, after checking a few big names:

Increasing: DarkCookie, Lewdlab, Faerin, Luxee, Palmer, T4boo, Mity, GumdropGames
Stable: KST, Beggar of Net
Dropping: Mrdots and darksilver, after 'abandoning' their games - no shit

I'm failing to see the max exodus of patrons and revenue you're describing.

---

Edit:
Devs I know i can name Ptolemy, Dark Silver bigtime. Mr. Dots most of it was dropping the incest content.
Ptolemy is probably dropping because he's just finished his biggest game (and the announcement of always online DRM which doesn't often go over too well either).

Reactions: PixelRepublic

PixelRepublic

I ■ Pixels
Donor
Jun 4, 2017
I know about Graphtreon, after checking a few big names:

Increasing: DarkCookie, Lewdlab, Faerin, Luxee, Palmer, T4boo, Mity, GumdropGames
Stable: KST, Beggar of Net
Dropping: Mrdots and darksilver, after 'abandoning' their games - no shit

I'm failing to see the max exodus of patrons and revenue you're describing.
Shit, you got there before me. I was just pulling data from a load of creators. Actually all the random ones I had polled before noticing your post, were on the rise from October.

Reactions: Sam

gamersglory

Xpression Games
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 23, 2017
Darkcookie had a pretty big drop after the incest content was edited out

My stance is more on The censorship of content and how the censorship has hurt them in particular

Sam

Sysadmin
Staff member
Administrator
Dec 22, 2016
Darkcookie had a pretty big drop after the incest content was edited out
That's the first of the month drop, which is usual for most games, especially those with charge upfront disabled.

He's up +400 patrons/+$1,370 in the past month, a rise of over 5%, and that's since the incest removal announcement.