AI generate art in games

Thoran001

Jun 17, 2020
Good morning,
I am currently developing an AI-Hentai game with RPGMakerMZ. I don't want to reveal anything about the game yet, since I plan to upload it to a platform at some point anyway.

It's also clear that some platforms don't accept AI generated images, for example Steam.

Now I wanted to ask if any of you know how it looks like on other platforms, such as itch.io.

In general, the questions here are:
1. is it allowed to upload games with AI generated images that are free? (of course everything except the AI art itself generated and some scripts used by VisuStella)?

2. is it theoretically allowed to earn some money with such games?

3. which platforms would still allow AI-Art games if itch.io would be dropped as well?

Thank you for the information!

On occasion and how and where I distribute my game I will of course open a page for the game here. There you will see more about it

---------------------------------

If you are interested, here is a short summary about my game:
Princess Ida returns to her kingdom 18 years after the death of her father at the age of 19. The country has split into separate kingdoms. There also is a demon faction among the kingdoms. Some kingdoms are pro-demon, some anti-demon. The capital of the former empire is a deserted wasteland. Only the walls of its former palace bear witness to what may have happened here. Princess Ida has no money, so she has to get money in another way. That's why she has to start a business, build and renovate buildings, and hire employees. A day/night system with several times of the day ensures that not every character is always at work and sometimes can be found somewhere else and perhaps becomes a separate quest giver.

Last edited:
Reactions: Saint Blackmoor

Saint Blackmoor

Saint and Sinner
Donor
Oct 26, 2017
From what I see here as AI games is that the images are mostly placeholders or sprites.
I guess that can work for an RPGmaker game. The use of AI here on F95 is pretty much anything with obvious limitations that F95 would on any game, for decency's sake. The members here are divided into liking and hating AI. I'm for it, but just like anything, if used too much in a cheap knock-off way, anyone is going to start not liking it.
My thought would be to treat it as an RPG game but leave spots for the AI in the story. By the time you get that done, the state of AI acceptance on sites may have changed for good or bad. If AI is being accepted, then make your AI inserts.

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
2. is it theoretically allowed to earn some money with such games?
Patreon and SS are currently ignoring it, for the most part. At least for now. Steam has banned it unless you can prove you've trained it with your own material. I believe I read somewhere that GOG plans on doing the same. Itch is basically giving the finger to most adult devs. Especially ones who don't participate in Revenue Sharing.

3. which platforms would still allow AI-Art games if itch.io would be dropped as well?
Patreon and SS are the only two where it's currently 'allowed', at least in the way of monetization. DLSite also allows AI generated VNs, but your game would need to be translated (not by a machine.) to have any sort of success over there.

Thoran001

Jun 17, 2020
Thank you for the answer.
But what is when i created a game, and bring it on itch.io for "Free"... On the itch site you can choose "Pay", "Free or Donate" and "Free (For no Money). Is this allowed if i bring it for free?