Others [Advice] DAZ Adjusting clothing

johnsmith4815162342

Oct 15, 2019
Hi all, I am playing around with creating models and renders and I was wondering what is the best way to adjust clothing positioning. I want to be able to do renders in which a character is either undressing or flashing body parts. I have tried to search but I am having no luck.

Any help is appreciated.

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
InfiniTales is correct, there's very little you can do as an end user to make clothing "fold", "hang open" or "slip down" in a natural looking way unless there is already a morph built in to the clothing item.

D-formers create a "movement field" that affects the vertexes of the target object. The size of the effect depends on the distance from the centre of the dformer and the shape of the dformer field. It can be used fairly easily to make for example an impression in a cushion to imitate the squashing effect of a heavy object on top, or to perhaps create a raised bulge in clothing to simulate a "banana in the pocket ;)". But it would virtually impossible to use dformers to (for example) make a pair of jeans look like they were bunched up and sliding partway down a character's legs.

The way morphs are created is that after the clothing is created, the designer uses a non-daz program like blender or marvellous designer to move clothing vertexes into the final desired positions (which can be a very tedious process depending on the complexity of the movement), then that adjusted mesh is imported back to daz and then saved as a Morph with a specific slider created to adjust what percentage of the movement from starting vertexes positions to final position should be applied.

The positions of the vertexes are arbitrary, so the exact same process can be used e.g. on hair mesh to create "blowing in the wind" morphs or "hair style" morphs or clothing size/shape/fit morphs.

"But what about dforce" you may ask... dforce repeatedly simulates in many small steps the action of an outside force and inter-object friction and intra-object-vertex tension to calculate how vertexes will move. in some cases, and with some clothing/hair/item meshes, you can get sort of natural looking results for draping or hanging cloth. But you will be very unlikely to get a good looking "jeans pants are partway sliding down the legs" effect for example.

tl;dr find a product with the morph already created, or else learn a LOT about 3d manipulation.

NanoGames

Nov 24, 2020
I would suggest checking mesh grabber, it is better to do minor adjustments and fix poke through, but it might work for undressing morphs, depends on the pose and complexity of the clothes.

Your best bet would be to export the clothes to either Blender or ZBrush and do the morph there. That requires some learning but it will give you the best results by far. Blender has full cloth simulation, but you don't need that, both ZBrush and Blender have very fast cloth sim sculpting that works well enough for this.

Here's an example I sculpted in ZBrush, it took me 10 minutes aprox (please ignore the lighting, I just dropped an HDRI and two random lights)
Undress_Demo02.png

To be honest, I think Blender has better cloth sculpting but used ZBrush because it's super fast to export/import.

It's far from perfect, but with more time you it can look quite good, the only problem is that neither ZBrush or Blender are very user friendly, Blender has improved a lot lately but still has it's quirks.

Now, as it was suggested you can look for clothes with undressing morphs, take a look at Everyday Clothes or any clothing item by Sparkman. The problem with that is that you are stuck with the clothing and you'll have limited customization.

Lastly, there's dForce, but it honestly is not very good for this use case: it breaks easily, it's slow for it's quality and as any cloth sim it likes uniform topology, which most items don't have. It might be ok to run it after creating your morph to settle the clothes but that's about it.

NextQuestion

Apr 23, 2018
I would suggest checking mesh grabber, it is better to do minor adjustments and fix poke through, but it might work for undressing morphs, depends on the pose and complexity of the clothes.

Your best bet would be to export the clothes to either Blender or ZBrush and do the morph there. That requires some learning but it will give you the best results by far. Blender has full cloth simulation, but you don't need that, both ZBrush and Blender have very fast cloth sim sculpting that works well enough for this.

Here's an example I sculpted in ZBrush, it took me 10 minutes aprox (please ignore the lighting, I just dropped an HDRI and two random lights)
View attachment 1371611

To be honest, I think Blender has better cloth sculpting but used ZBrush because it's super fast to export/import.

It's far from perfect, but with more time you it can look quite good, the only problem is that neither ZBrush or Blender are very user friendly, Blender has improved a lot lately but still has it's quirks.

Now, as it was suggested you can look for clothes with undressing morphs, take a look at Everyday Clothes or any clothing item by Sparkman. The problem with that is that you are stuck with the clothing and you'll have limited customization.

Lastly, there's dForce, but it honestly is not very good for this use case: it breaks easily, it's slow for it's quality and as any cloth sim it likes uniform topology, which most items don't have. It might be ok to run it after creating your morph to settle the clothes but that's about it.
Any scripts/add-ons you are using for breasts? Looks great.

NanoGames

Nov 24, 2020
Any scripts/add-ons you are using for breasts? Looks great.
Thanks, those are the Breastacular geograft with a combination of posing couple of morphs and my custom sculpt in ZBrush.

It's a character I'm creating and testing things with, Breastacular being one, it has the advantage of having a couple of extra bones for posing, more UV options and being separated from the base g8 mesh you can add morphs to it independently which is nice.

Another benefit of the Breastacular graft is that it has a bit more geometry than the base model, and since DAZ doesn't want us peasants having the ability to sculpt in higher res that helps too.

PlayfulUK

Apr 20, 2019
The best thing to use for this is Marvelous Designer. You can manipulate the cloth in real-time, pin bits of cloth, etc. It's... Marvelous.

Reactions: NanoGames

NanoGames

Nov 24, 2020
The best thing to use for this is Marvelous Designer. You can manipulate the cloth in real-time, pin bits of cloth, etc. It's... Marvelous.
Yeah, DAZ really needs realtime cloth simulation integrated, even if it's not as good as Marvelous. The problem with that software is that I believe they went subscription only, and it's not that cheap.