README Acceptable webp compression quality - list of games

CLDꝜ

̷ ̷ ̶ ̴ ̴ ̴ ̷ ̸ ̸ ̷ ̵ ̸ ̸ ̴ ̵ ̷ ̵ ̴ ̶ ̴ ̶ ̵ ̶ ̴ ̵
Staff member
Community Liaison
Jul 7, 2017
This list was originally meant to remind myself what quality I use for various games, but since some of the community members have volunteered to help with the compression, I decided to share this list.

I normally recommend webp quality 80 for all games, but some games can go a lot lower (normally Honey Select games) and some games might even look bad with 85 quality. Some games are also being compressed by the developers, meaning compression might be useless, and you might end up wasting 2 hours compressing a 2GB game, saving only 30MB.

Not all of the games in this list have been compressed by me, so I can't guarantee that the compression quality gets my "stamp of approval", but I'll try to always keep the best quality-to-size compression listed here. I'd like to think that most users prefers using a little more time downloading than they would enjoy playing an overcompressed VN.

GameVersionQualityNotes
Alison Fall of the Apple
Be carefull with video compression if using Cruncher. Some videos won't compress properly, and won't run after. Recommend XnConvert for the .webp images, Cruncher for the rest.
Amity Park
0.5a
Can probably use 70 without issues, due to the style
A Mother's Love
Part 4
85 still compresses a lot (From 3.87GB to 211MB) Probably no reason to go no lower than 80.
Back to the Cabin
Bad Bobby Saga
0.13a
Big City's Pleasures
Highly recommend taking compressed .webp from previous version and only compress new videos. Recommend using XnConvert for the .webp images, Cruncher for the rest. Cruncher breaks the alpha channels for some images.
Crimson Veil
Can probably use 70 without issues, due to the style. The developer started compressing the game himself a bit at v2.0, so there's probably not a lot to save on compression for a few more versions.
Damsels and Dungeons
Dark Magic
0.7.0B
I recommend deleting all videos except for new ones before compressing. Then move over videos from previous compressed version after. Market build don't work for Mac, needs dedicated Mac build.
Depravity
Eye of the Storm
Ch. 10
Foot of the Mountains
Use webpFix.bat to fix webp headers before using XnConvert on the images. Use Cruncher for .jpg/.png
General Practitioner
-
-
Won't extract properly, and won't compile with the Ren'Py launcher. I can't be bothered finding out why this happens, or what I can do to fix it.
Ghost Revenge
Ep. 3
Already being compressed a bit by the dev. He does not compress videos.
Good Girl Gone Bad
Looks great at 80, bet 75 or even 70 is acceptable.
Harem Hotel
-
-
Dev already compresses game at ~70-80. Compressing is probably useless.
High-Rise Climb
0.65a
Recommend only compressing the patches, then merge with previous compressed due to a high amount of images and videos.
Holiday Island
Leaf on Fire
75-70 is probably acceptable (try next version)
Life with Mary
Have quite a few dark images, which starts looking really bad below 80. Never tried 75, but 70 and below is bad. Recommend XnConvert for the .webp images, Cruncher for the rest.
Live To Fight
Lunars Chosen
75 is probably acceptable (try next version)
Melody
As of 0.10, there's 200mb difference between 80 and 70 quality, and 70 is noticable worse (imo) Might want to try 75.
Midlife Crisis
My Cute Roomate
Mythic Manor
Dev compress with ~85 quality. 50 is bad, but not as bad as you'd think. People really wants compressed. Recommend XnConvert for the .webp images, Cruncher for the rest.
Parental Love
Pine Falls
Primal Instinct
Ring of Lust
0.0.8a
75 and 80 is pretty bad in this game. 85 still shrinked the game from 2.01GB to 163MB (75=116MB, 80=137MB)
Secrets
Sinful Delicacies
Ep. 3
Soul of the Paintings
The Personal Assistant
0.13a
The Way
0.22a
Saves quite a bit with 85, images looks pretty bad already at 80. Has 2 .webp images that needs to be done with XnConvert, as Cruncher breaks the alpha channels.
Thirsty For My Guest
Ep. 6
I compressed with 80 quality, and it looked really bad. Please try 85, or even 90 with the next release.
Time Loop Hunter
Recommend XnConvert for the .webp images, Cruncher for the rest. 75 quality works, but doesn't save much.
Torrid Tales
Open XnConvert, organize input view to show by path, separate legit .jpg/.png files. Use Cruncher on legit .jpg/.png, XnConvert on .the rest. Use PowerShell script to rename .webp back to .png
Triangle
Water World
I tested 75 in 0.11.3, and compared it to my 80 from 0.11.1. 75 loses too much detail for me to go lower than 80.
Because games change from version to version, this information can and will be wrong and outdated.

I started creating this list pretty late, so it doesn't have all games I've compressed. I'll update the list every time I compress a game that's not on the list, or the information needs to be changed. If you have compressed a game that's not on the list, feel free to tell me. I will test the compressed version myself before adding, to make sure that it's not overcompressed.

If there's no note for a game, I have only tried compressing with the quality stated, and I encountered no issues when compressing. Lower quality might be acceptable, but I recommend testing it thoroughly before releasing.

Last edited:

Ryahn

Birb Skull Fuckery
Staff member
Game Compressor
Donor
Jul 5, 2017
If I can add here. Harem Hotel dev compresses most of his images already at ~70-80. Hopefully no one will try to compress those. As they already compressed before uploading.

CLDꝜ

̷ ̷ ̶ ̴ ̴ ̴ ̷ ̸ ̸ ̷ ̵ ̸ ̸ ̴ ̵ ̷ ̵ ̴ ̶ ̴ ̶ ̵ ̶ ̴ ̵
Staff member
Community Liaison
Jul 7, 2017
Rename from .webp to .png PowerShell script (ty bas<3):
get-childitem -recurse *.webp | foreach { rename-item -LiteralPath $_ $_.Name.Replace(".webp", ".png") }

How to make Cruncher skip .webp files:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
How to change .webp quality on Cruncher:
How to recompile a Ren'Py game after compression:

Questions and answers:
Q:
Why should I use XnConvert over Cruncher for some games?
A: Cruncher isn't fully multi-threaded and will use longer to compress a game with lots of images. Cruncher v0.3.1 also breaks the alpha channels on images that are already in .webp (See Big City's Pleasure example) This will be fixed in Cruncher v0.4, which is going through internal testing right now.

Q: Can I use XnConvert for everthing?
A: All images, with some extra steps. Cruncher changes image format to .webp, but keeps the .png/.jpg extension, XnConvert can't do this. You'd either need to rename images back to its original format (PowerShell script example above) or you have to edit the .rpy files and replace .jpg and .png with .webp. I mainly use XnConvert for games that already use .webp. You can use Handbrake for video compression.

Q: Can I compress a game that's not Ren'Py or RPGM?
A: As long as there's images and videos in the game, compression is posssible. However, most game engines don't have native support for webp, use propitiatory archive formats, and can be hard/impossible to rebuild without the uncompiled sources. Too much work for me to bother with.

Q: Do I have to recompile a Ren'Py game after compression?
A: Not really, but I recommend it. Recompiling puts files back in .rpa archives the same way the dev did, and creates a .zip file with the correct permissions, so the games can run on Mac and Linux without players having to manually change file/folder permissions. Not recompiling might also break mod-support in some games, making modders unhappy.

Q: How do I make a compressed Android port?
A: To build, just click Android in the Ren'Py launcher, then build. I only recommend creating compressed Android port if the dev already makes his own ports, unless you know what you are doing, or are willing to learn, and possibly use a lot of time making the port work like it should. Please don't click Build Package and release it untested, as lots of things might break with an Android port.

Links:
Cruncher v0.3.1 - Compresses images & videos
webpFix.bat - Fixes .webp headers, so XnConvert can compress "broken" webp images.
- Compresses images
- Compresses videos
- SDK. Used to recompile a game after compression.

Last edited: