• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

A question about translations.

Fernat

Mar 11, 2018
Hello good night. First of all, sorry for English, I'm French.

I would like to know how to make a translation of a game from English to French? When translating a Fallout: New California mod, one of the modders copied / pasted the game's text into Google Translate and created a temporary translation for the beginning of the mod.

So there are files containing the dialogs of the game? Can I try this on a game from here? I would like to translate The Tyrant and Corruption games first, and then maybe others, in those cases, how could I find the files containing the dialogs? Knowing that I am not looking for expert work in translation but just to understand.

Thank you.
Good day, good evening.

----------------------------------------------------

LE TEXTE EN FRANCAIS (pour les francophone) :

Bonjour / Bonsoir. Tout d'abord, désolé pour l'anglais, je suis français.

Je voudrai savoir comment effectué une traduction d'un jeu de l'anglais vers le français ? Lors d'une traduction d'un mod de Fallout : New Vegas (Fallout : New California), l'un des moddeurs avait copié / collé les textes du jeu sur Google Traduction et avait ainsi crée une traduction temporaire pour le début du mod.

Il existe donc des fichiers contenants les dialogues du jeu ? Est-ce que je pourrais tenter cela sur un jeu d'ici ? Je voudrai traduire les jeux The Tyrant et Corruption, dans un premier temps, puis ensuite peut-être d'autres, dans ces cas-là, comment pourrais-je trouver les fichiers contenants les dialogues ? Sachant que je ne recherche pas du travail d'expert dans la traduction mais juste de comprendre.

Merci à vous.
Bonne journée, bonne soirée.

Fernat

Mar 11, 2018
I just discovered PY, PYO, PYX, PXI and PXD files, how to open them and modify them?

Suryujin

Oct 6, 2017
Small warning. I simply took a quick look at the files (not the first one either), but I don't have any actual experience translating a game, so some things could be wrong/incomplete. It's more about pushing you in the right direction atleast, hopefully more. I used "The Tyrant" as an example. Ofcourse, if you still have questions, feel free to ask.

First, did you find the RPY files in the "game" folder? If not, they're (likely) useless for translating, because they're engine stuff. There could be some ui elements in there like the main menu/options and stuff but that's it. The actual game files are in the game folder and likely still packed up. The un.rpyc that I've uploaded, unpacks all the files (except pictures). Just throw it into the "game" folder and start the game, the game might throw an error (traceback.txt) but works afterwards. From there on you just need to edit the rpy files in the "game" folder (with notepad++ for example).

Python:
command command... nothing to translate here

hovered action (Hide('ls21decide1'), Jump('ls21love'))

command ("choice")

tt.Action ("Stop looking")

name "Text" (bs(big sis), ls(lil sis), pov(player), [mother],...)

pov "Yes [mother]. The new you is really amazing."

"Text"

"You listen through the door."
You can generally translate choice and text. Be careful about things like [mother], because these call the variable with the custom name the player choose for them. <giggle> is also save to translate. Searching for " should get you to the stuff that needs to be translated. There's probably a better way, but I can't figure out the regex for this.

RPY, RPYM, PYX, PXI, PXD aren't encoded and can easily be edited with notepad++.
RPYC, RPYB, PYO are encoded, and would need to be decoded first, though RPYC + decoding = RPY.

That being said, unless I'm wrong, the files you're mainly need to look into are the RPY in the game folder. The others are encoded and/or engine files, that are unlikely to help.

liegad

Jun 11, 2017
The text files are in the "scripts.rpa"
Use unren

to get your text files,
are about 40 *.rpy files,
that you can edit
calculate for the game, 4 weeks a 2 hours to translate the game
I had 0.55 almost ready, then 0.6 came out,
saddog has also made a lot of changes,
so I'm back to translating everything into German.

Reactions: Kornboy87