A question about different game engines

clowns234

Engaged Member
Game Developer
May 2, 2021
One of the reasons I like Renpy is that I can run the games through Renpy's launcher. Saves disk space in that I only need to save the game folder plus I have less risk of a virus because I don't have to launch it from the exe file. Also, I like being able to go in and see the code - whether to fix or bypass an error or just see how it works.
Are any of the other game engines this open? I looked a little bit at Unity and it seems possible. I assume html games would be fairly straight forward but I haven't found a game yet that I cared enough to try.
Any feedback would be welcomed. Thanks.

mossglen90

Jun 8, 2021
I know you can run Unity games with special dev exes of the Unity version they were compiled with. I have done so for debugging them using dnSpy. You can find more info

Reactions: clowns234

clowns234

Engaged Member
Game Developer
May 2, 2021
I know you can run Unity games with special dev exes of the Unity version they were compiled with. I have done so for debugging them using dnSpy. You can find more info
Thanks

scrumbles

Engaged Member
Jan 12, 2019
For engines based on NW.js, it works like that. For instance RPG Maker MV/MZ and Visual Novel Gamer. Basically you can keep only one folder ("www" for RPG Maker MV) and discard the rest. That's why Mac and Linux users can play Windows versions natively (see also this thread).
In HTML games (made with Twine) the game engine is usually embedded in the code afaik, you don't separate them. Edit: but you can download the SDK (not sure if you need to download the story format too) and play the game with the internal browser.
QSP: if I'm not mistaken, you can build the player from source.

Last edited:

Oct 26, 2017
There are a lot - and I do mean a lot - of engines for all kinds of erotic games, including some that have never been used so far on F95, so it all depends on what you feel comfortable working with.

To answer your main question and name a few (also, regardless of their names and 'target audiences', you can make any game with them, it just needs more work)
- Unity has been mentioned by snomnomnom above but I have zero experience with it as a developer, only as a frustrated end user, lol. Both myself and all of the hardware that I've run it on hate it, but I can see the appeal to developers.
- RPG Maker MV/MZ is full JavaScript+JSON. Even end users can help you debug your code pretty easily, and the GUI is there for those who are shitscared of code. The major downside is the massive amount of space required for non-web deployment because of Node.js (as a developer, you do not need that, but your end users will have tons of copies of nwjs distros and dependencies unless they use the web version, which is exactly what your development folder should look like).
- KAG is more code-oriented and also quite old. You can still make pretty damn advanced games with it, but since it is made in Japan and old, forget about localization (iirc, it uses SJIS, or even EUC-JP).
- NScripter/ONScripter, same as above. Both are mostly for VNs but you can make a lot more complex things with them.

Edit: I really need to type faster, lol. Triple ninja.