Ren'Py A little feedback for a game

DATA-NOISE

Game Developer
Feb 10, 2018
Hello :)

I have been working on this project for a while now, and i would really like to see what people think.

I didnt want to post it in a more oficial term becose there is not realy much to do yet, right now its more of a framework for me to build on top, but I think its enough to see whats all about, that way if you like the idea but there's something you think can be improved or changed, I would love to know. So far anything can be changed with relative ease but if I keep going it may not be so easy later on.

The game it's not really a visual novel, or a least not a on rails one, aside from the introduction you are free and do whatever you want, but as any game, you will unlock more stuff to do as you play. If you don't like a girl you can just don't do her story or quests, you may have to deal with them for some other stuff, but you can focus on the ones that you like for the most part.

The stats is the mechanic that i'm least sure of, there's definitely potencial to make them mesh well with the game and be a fun mechanic, but so far are a little grindy, I can tone down the grind but that would make theme pretty trivial to get. Right now they only influence the amount of money you going to get from working, and the kinds of works you'll make.
My idea was to mix up how some events play, if you have invested on strength or some other stat you can have a different option that change how plays out.

The story it's pretty simple, the main character has been accepted in a university located in a ficticial island, and a friend of your dad and her daughter are accompanying you on your trip. On that island, a little thing called Pink sugar has catch on with the people, and you will start to get involved in that. or not, its up to you.

I will post some download links:

Even though I don't have a lot of time right now, Im having way too much fun doing this project, hopefully its shows in the end product.
Thank you to everybody in advance, i hope you like it.

screenshot0020.png screenshot0023.png screenshot0007.png screenshot0014.png screenshot0021.png screenshot0027.png screenshot0028.png

Reactions: DaClown

niennunb

Jun 15, 2017
The most important thing in your post is
Im having way too much fun doing this project
And that is great ! (and that's what caught my eye and why I wanted to try)
But 3.35 Go while you say :
there is not really much to do yet
Maybe you could compress things a little ? Or ask someone to do a compressed version ? (like what you can see on multiple renpy games on this site)

Reactions: DATA-NOISE

DATA-NOISE

Game Developer
Feb 10, 2018
The most important thing in your post is

And that is great ! (and that's what caught my eye and why I wanted to try)
But 3.35 Go while you say :
Maybe you could compress things a little ? Or ask someone to do a compressed version ? (like what you can see on multiple renpy games on this site)
You are right, i didn't think about that, i will look into that and post updated links.

I said that there's no much to do because there's really isn't, most of the backgrounds and sprites are already in there i just have to create more events and stuff like that with them.

Thank you for being interested in the game

Reactions: niennunb

DATA-NOISE

Game Developer
Feb 10, 2018
I manage to change some files that were too heavy, I didn't realize how much a difference it makes, hopefully it's more bearable now.

- -

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
The stats is the mechanic that i'm least sure of, there's definitely potencial to make them mesh well with the game and be a fun mechanic, but so far are a little grindy, I can tone down the grind but that would make theme pretty trivial to get. Right now they only influence the amount of money you going to get from working, and the kinds of works you'll make.
My idea was to mix up how some events play, if you have invested on strength or some other stat you can have a different option that change how plays ou
Havent tried your game so maybe your stats mechanic is different, but in general people here hate grinding. t's a lame way to make a game seem much longer then it actually is. Especially if it's just clicking through 4-5 screens of going to the gym, clicking some equipment, etc., bullshit. If there's anything like that in a game I look for a cheat menu/save modifier, or just stop playing.

It doesn't mean you cant have a stat system. Stat systems are fine, but they should really come naturally through your game. Maybe make a couple points available from a repeatable event (which should in my opinion require 4-5 visits max to get them all), but the rest should come from your actions and choices.

For the rest the isometric view is very interesting and looks pretty good. The figures seems a bit to doll like if your going for a realistic look. I don't know what lightning you used but it's a bit to homogeneous.

DATA-NOISE

Game Developer
Feb 10, 2018
Havent tried your game so maybe your stats mechanic is different, but in general people here hate grinding. t's a lame way to make a game seem much longer then it actually is. Especially if it's just clicking through 4-5 screens of going to the gym, clicking some equipment, etc., bullshit. If there's anything like that in a game I look for a cheat menu/save modifier, or just stop playing.
Yes, I pretty much do the same thing, and I completely understand, it can be a cheap way to extend the game. as I said, im not sure about them, so far I don't plan on making them obligatory, it's just a way to play out thinks differently for people that want to.
If it help you can cheat on the inventory, but if I don't find a way to make them fun I'll might just remove them all together.

The figures seems a bit to doll like if your going for a realistic look. I don't know what lightning you used but it's a bit to homogeneous.
I'm not going for an extremely realistic look, (hence the blue tint windows), but yes the lighting in the background it's not the same as the characters, im pretty much at the mercy of the engine, at time it's just doesn't look right. but I'll see what i can do, if you have another opinion i would love to hear it.

And thanks for trying my game.

niennunb

Jun 15, 2017
I manage to change some files that were too heavy, I didn't realize how much a difference it makes, hopefully it's more bearable now.

- -
Thx ! I'll download it now !

niennunb

Jun 15, 2017
DATA-NOISE : I'm trying your game right now, and 1st impression : I find it really cool, even if there are some typos and bugs (after Flynn warned the player not to talk with the three girls at Uni, if you try to talk to them again it crashes, see spoiler below).
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Other than that, the setting is simple but effective, but what really caught me eye was the UI : even if the dialog choosing window seems a bit off compared to the rest, the navigation UI is really neat.

Kudos and good luck with your game, I will definitely follow it =)

EDIT : I found another bug : I was asking Caroline in the library "why are they stealing the books ?" and boom I teleport to Wendy talking about vibrator...

EDIT 2 : There are other bugs with Helen popping on the screen in her towel, and the storage room accessible from the kitchen which becomes buggy after Helen does one of her towel magic trick. Also the room with the stuck door throws an error. And the phone is sometimes instable, especially with the stats cheat.

Last edited:

DATA-NOISE

Game Developer
Feb 10, 2018
Other than that, the setting is simple but effective, but what really caught me eye was the UI : even if the dialog choosing window seems a bit off compared to the rest, the navigation UI is really neat.
I'm super glad you like it, I spent quite a bit with other designs for the ui and I settle for that one. the dialog one its a little bit of a compromise so i can make content quicker, but i think i can improve a little more so it blends better.

I'm checking out all the bugs, thank you so much for reporting, it really helps. Hopefully i'll still see you around.

Reactions: niennunb

DawnCry

Nov 25, 2017
Well regarding mechanics it is necessary to know the planned fetishes. But well will give a few general tips:

-First of all it is important to have a feeling that time is passing, having special events or storylines that happen along time makes de game more interesting, one of the bad things that many similar games have is that you can sleep for years and nothing will change.

-Having stats isn't bad, but it always depend on how you develop them:
*If it requires grinding or doing an action a lot of times it is a badly planned stat.
*An example of a good planned stat would be for example having a strength stat and that it can be raised by being in a club, the MC would only need to be a member of the club and he will gain strength daily without issue, even more you can add aditional ways to obtain that stat that would require player input.

-Consequences to events: You can decide not to interfere on many things but that doesn't mean that it should magically solve itself without you. If you leave for example your girlfriend in the hands of 4 or 5 guys with... perverted intentions, then what should happen should happen.

-If you don't do a girl's story it doesn't mean that it shouldn't happen: Time waits no one, to make a good game the time sensitive events should conclude with time and have effects.

-Conflicts: This is what usuallly moves the game around, you need a conflict. There are many types of conflicts that a male MC may have, be it for example NTR, femdom, violence...

A game that lacks any type of conflict is usually boring as a game, but if you are going the nukige side it's okay (nukige basically doesn't care about gameplay and only caares about sex scenes).

To end, my personal recommendation would be that you think quite a bit on fetishes first rather than the game itself and think about how to make it part of the game.

For example if you want to have maledom it may be interesting to think about what determines how submissive a girl is, their actions... basically thinking how everything would work out.

DATA-NOISE

Game Developer
Feb 10, 2018
I'm definitely planning to use time in some way, I want the character have their own agenda, maybe moving out of the island for some time and stuff like that, or as you say, events that are affected by time, but I think those may have to be the exception rather than the rule, since at some point if I use them to much its going to become impossible to keep track of all of them.

Consequences are really important, I want you to be part of the world and effect it in some way, even if it's sometimes just a little detail or may not impact the story right away.

In general Im going for a more relaxed vibe, but there is going to be conflicts, maybe some stories will be more conflict-focus than others but there's going to be. I think they may make for a good highlight.

To end, my personal recommendation would be that you think quite a bit on fetishes first rather than the game itself and think about how to make it part of the game.
I was focused on the game since i wanted to have the bases to work, but I think I have most of them so I will be doing that definitely.
I have a idea of some of the fetishes that Im going to use, but not all of them. I'm going to focus on that right now, hopefully something interesting comes out. Thank you for your opinion, it was really detailed and it helps a lot.