7zip issues

RMelton

Jan 29, 2019
This is especially prevalent on large files but I found that sometimes, when I try to extract files using 7Zip, it would get to halfway or near the end, then the speed literally freezes to a crawl. I I can use other applications just fine during this. And I often uninstall and reinstall 7Zip which sometimes fixes the issue but not always. Anyone know what would be causing this?

• Thinking Face
Reactions: hu lover

hu lover

Forum Fanatic
Jul 27, 2022
don't use 7zip use winrar instead its much more efficient, trust me.

7zip has bugs and problems, for example "this extracting freezing problem when extracting." honestly i have never run into any problems when using winrar, therefore its the better option to choose. believe me, i am a guru when it comes to technology.

Last edited:
  • Thinking Face
Reactions: qwsl

RMelton

Jan 29, 2019
Ok, turns out the issue isn't just 7zip. It's with any extractor I use. With files about 1gb big they extract fine. But the one with 2 and bit gb, it reaches about 60% then it just slows to a crawl, to the point where its a like maybe if lucky 1% would be done in about 15 minutes.

scrumbles

Engaged Member
Jan 12, 2019
It may be a space issue. How many gigabytes are available on your drives?
I've read an archive is temporarily unzipped either on C:\ or on the drive you have selected, depending on how you extract it, and on the software you use.

Reactions: Pamphlet

Pamphlet

Aug 5, 2020
It may be a space issue. How many gigabytes are available on your drives?
I've read an archive is temporarily unzipped either on C:\ or on the drive you have selected, depending on how you extract it, and on the software you use.
Yeah. Drag and drop will extract to a temp directory, then copy. Using the extract button and setting the target will extract directly to the chosen location.

While direct extraction is a good habit that'll save time, it's generally a good idea to make sure there's always ~10gb minimum free space on the system drive.