3D to SVG

Diconica

Apr 25, 2020
I was wondering what it would be worth to people to be able to use a 3D model pose it and it then produce an SVG of the model.
A better example might be you create a 3D character in blender, create all the poses or animation you want. Then export it and import that into a program and instead of it rendering a standard image it creates an SVG based image for the poses and animations.

The level of detail such as in shading could be adjusted so if you want something like 4 color shading or if you want a fully blended shade.

Benefits:
1 It can be used in a 2D environment. A basic web browser could display them same for Renpy and others.
2 You could manipulate this on the fly and change poses on the fly giving you the automation so you wouldn't need to do stuff like live 2D.
3 It would take up vastly less room to store a character and many outfits than it would rendered images of a character in various outfits.
4 Easier for others to generate content to work with it such as outfits.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
Let's take a basic model, in a basic pose and a basic rendering quality. Then a bit of blur to smooth the noise.
PNG file, 150,572 bytes.
JPG (maximal quality) file, 68,593 bytes.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Then let's convert it with Inkscape default options.
SVG file, 551,480 bytes.

Hmm, okay, time to tweak a bit the options, because it's really ugly...
SVG file, 1,228,688 bytes

Already near to 10 times bigger than the PNG original, and 20 times bigger than the JPG original. Yet, still far to have a quality that justify to use a rendered 3D as source.
I don't doubt that you can rework it to reduce the size, but you'll still not reach a level that justify all the needed works. Plus, of course, if you're good enough to rework it correctly, you're also good enough to make it from scratch without having to bother with a rendering engine.