3D Software Help and Assistance. Ask Away.

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

Urok

Apr 15, 2018
Thanks for the video! Really useful although I'm not sure whether I'll implement it that way. It's "a lot of work" and I think I can get away with a fake "generic" shadow added in photoshop... It won't be the same, but it will save me a lot of time, which is more important to me right now. I asked just in case I missed some obvious parameter or option. :)

Lednah

Game Developer
Nov 24, 2017
Hi,

I'm still learning Daz3D while I'm working in my first VN and one of the things I struggling with is how to render my backgrounds and characters separately so I can overlap them later in the final game.

Rendering the background is not a problem. The problem is how to render the characters so they project some shadows and they don't look like floating. I tried to render a section of the background together with the character, but then I can see the borders of the sprite when I overlap it to the background. I guess is because in this case, the character is projecting shadows beyond my render area selection.

Any help or advice is appreciated. :)
I would say use some render script like "Render A Lot" and leave the stuff to get rendered while you sleep or work or whatever you have to do; and render the full scenes every time. The background usually don't require a lot of time to render if you don't have some high poly vegetation or such; I would say the hair of the characters will need the most time to render.

BTW - as you will not use a single light source anyway except if making pure outdoor scenes, the shadows will not be quite correct anyway.

f95zoneuser463

Game Developer
Aug 14, 2017
I'm looking for help on how to create custom LIE back tattoo for G8F. It's easy slap one on the 'front' since the torso-texture is not stretched and cut there ... but the back? I'd have to stretch and cut the tattoo-texture the same way like the torso-texture. I have no clue how to do that ... eyeballing this is probably a bad idea.

Nomec104

Jul 28, 2017
So guys im a newbie on Daz3D, i've already done some renders, nothing serious thou, but they took forever and also cap my CPU/GPU usage at 100% and ram at 87-95%. Do you have any tips on how to speed up the render time??

EDIT:
I tried to render a simple image in Iray with only GPU + OptiX and it took me only 6 min. But this is the result. Why her clothes are so bright?
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

f95zoneuser463

Game Developer
Aug 14, 2017
@Nomec104
  • When rendering with Iray make sure all material are for Iray: select clothes, go to surface tab, check if material says Shader: Iray Uber and not 'DAZ Studio Default' or something else
if it's not Iray Uber go to Content Library tab, DAZ Studio Formats > MY DAZ 3D Library > Shader Presets > Iray > use '!Iray Uber Base' with the clothes selected​
  • To fix over-exposure: go to Render Settings (Engine: Nvidia Iray) > Tone Mapping > adjust Exposure Value
  • go to surface tab, select bright cloth material > Base Color > lower this from bright white to grey (not a good material if this is necessary with the default light)

Nomec104

Jul 28, 2017
@Nomec104
  • When rendering with Iray make sure all material are for Iray: select clothes, go to surface tab, check if material says Shader: Iray Uber and not 'DAZ Studio Default' or something else
if it's not Iray Uber go to Content Library tab, DAZ Studio Formats > MY DAZ 3D Library > Shader Presets > Iray > use '!Iray Uber Base' with the clothes selected​
  • To fix over-exposure: go to Render Settings (Engine: Nvidia Iray) > Tone Mapping > adjust Exposure Value
  • go to surface tab, select bright cloth material > Base Color > lower this from bright white to grey (not a good material if this is necessary with the default light)
Ty very much mate, im going to try what you suggested.

Boogie

Aug 7, 2017
How much space is required for running Daz3D with a wide range of assets installed?
As much as you can afford? The software itself is about a gig, and the free assets that come with it are maybe another 4-5 gigs. I have purchased some assets but also dl'ed a lot more and am well over 100 gigs of space on my HD. And I still think I'm missing too many vital assets.

Reactions: met4lsp4wn

bstr2k2

Sep 27, 2017
hey guys.
as i finally got a new pc and with it a fresh w10 install i find myself in tough spot.
i´ve got a few tb of daz assets on my old windows 7 machine and many arent installed via the install manager.
is there a way to get all my old stuff over to the new machine ?!?

f95zoneuser463

Game Developer
Aug 14, 2017
@bstr2k2
DISCLAIMER: I'm not telling you that this will work. This is what I would try and it *should* work in theory. Don't blame me if your PC spits fire after doing this.
  1. do fresh DAZ Studio Installation on the new machine to make sure all required Registry-entries to run DAZ Studio exist, only the base program, nothing else
  2. do a 1-to-1 copy of all DAZ-related files from the old machine to the new machine
Here is a list of paths used by DAZ Studio from my backup-script:

C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\
C:\ProgramData\DAZ 3D\
C:\Users\Public\Documents\My DAZ 3D Library\
C:\Users\Public\Documents\DAZ 3D\
C:\Users\<USERNAME>\Documents\DAZ 3D\
C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\
C:\<your-render-library>\ (optional)

Some folders are hidden. These paths are from a Windows 10 machine. I'm not sure whether Windows 7 has different paths, I think not. If this works, let me know, I'm curious.

Last edited:

Lednah

Game Developer
Nov 24, 2017
hey guys.
as i finally got a new pc and with it a fresh w10 install i find myself in tough spot.
i´ve got a few tb of daz assets on my old windows 7 machine and many arent installed via the install manager.
is there a way to get all my old stuff over to the new machine ?!?
Make a new install of the software.
Then you can:
1. Then make a new folder where you want to old material to be. Name the folder as you like - "Old Library" for example, doesn't matter. Then copy all the folders from inside all your old library where you did the manual install into the new folder. Do not copy the "library" folder itself but only the content. Start the new install and press F2 and go to Content tab. At the bottom press the Content directory Manager button and add the new "old" folder. It's content will appear in the Content Library tab under the name you choose for your new old folder. This way you should know which content is installed from before.
Or:
2. You can simply copy the folders from inside the old content library into the new content library and Merge and overwrite everything. This way you will not know which is your old content and what is newly installed.

3. Both ways will transfer everything which is both manually and auto-installed BUT as Daz installs itself in couple more folders it is good to press F2 at the old DS install, check the paths there besides the content library and see if you need anything else. For example by default the renders are saved in the Render Library folder which is outside the content library so copy it too and it may be better to move this folder to content library folder too.

bstr2k2

Sep 27, 2017
thx guys. this seems to have helped.
there are still a few assets that i must have installed manually and they wont work but luckily its stuff i never used anyways. :p
a 2080 and i9 do make rendering a hell of a lot faster ....

Last edited:

seamanq

Game Developer
Aug 28, 2018
I am brand new to Daz 3D and purchased the Golden Palace female genitalia along with the SF pubes assets. I have it installed, I follow the step by step (select model, do step 1, select model, do step 2, select model, do step 3) but the shell is not getting placed on the model. This is a vanilla Genesis 8 model, and the version of GP is G8F, so it's not a software mismatch. I thought maybe it was a layering problem, so I brought the G8 shell layer to the top, but nothing doing, I still can't see it. Can anyone give me guidance about something I might be missing here? Your kind assistance is very much appreciated.

Last edited:

seamanq

Game Developer
Aug 28, 2018
I am brand new to Daz 3D and purchased the Golden Palace female genitalia along with the SF pubes assets. I have it installed, I follow the step by step (select model, do step 1, select model, do step 2, select model, do step 3) but the shell is not getting placed on the model. This is a vanilla Genesis 8 model, and the version of GP is G8F, so it's not a software mismatch. I thought maybe it was a layering problem, so I brought the G8 shell layer to the top, but nothing doing, I still can't see it. Can anyone give me guidance about something I might be missing here? Your kind assistance is very much appreciated.
Never mind this question. I downloaded another model (Teen Josie) and tried to apply the genitalia and it worked like a charm. Must be something busted in my original Genesis 8 model.

seamanq

Game Developer
Aug 28, 2018
Never mind this question. I downloaded another model (Teen Josie) and tried to apply the genitalia and it worked like a charm. Must be something busted in my original Genesis 8 model.
Later in the day I got a direct response from Golden Palace via direct messaging. They didn't want to spam up the forum with the information. It is notable when a software vendor is so proactive that they are monitoring development forums and seeking to actively help end users. I have nothing but praise for GP in this, even though it was a messed up file that appears caused the problem all along.

error229

Jan 30, 2018
Hello everyone. New(ish) to the forum, or at least new to posting and also new to Daz3d. I'm trying to create an outdoor view of a shop at night. I've managed to get the lighting working more or less at the right levels, but currently the interior lights do not seem to penetrate the windows at all or cast any kind of shadows on the pavement outside. All rendering is being done with 3Delight. I do not have an nvidia card to do iray rendering.

I've messed with all kinds of settings on the glass, but can't seem to get it to let light through. What am I missing here?

Last edited:

Urok

Apr 15, 2018
Quick question:

While I'm coding the game I like to prepare some scenes to be rendered and in the meantime, I use quick placeholders. Quite often I need to add or remove elements into my original Daz3d scene. My question is, should I save every change in the scene as a different scene in Daz3d? What about using the timeframe option (I never used though) to create different frames with the different states of the scene?

Thanks!

Lednah

Game Developer
Nov 24, 2017
Quick question:

While I'm coding the game I like to prepare some scenes to be rendered and in the meantime, I use quick placeholders. Quite often I need to add or remove elements into my original Daz3d scene. My question is, should I save every change in the scene as a different scene in Daz3d? What about using the timeframe option (I never used though) to create different frames with the different states of the scene?

Thanks!
LOL... Rule of thumb - what is not saved at least 2 times has the bad habit to disappear exactly when you need it.

Edit: Did you considered you can add everything you need in the scene and just make not-needed stuff invisible? But again except you have some super-puper computer maybe you should consider using some script to render the scenes when you sleep or are just away. In this case you still need to make a saves of the scenes you need to render.

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote