Tool 3D Modeling Alternatives

FetishCollectorD

Donor
Jan 15, 2018
Just curious if anyone here has experience with the Blender or Makehuman programs. I see a ton of DAZ stuff on here but not hide nor hair about either of these programs (maybe I'm oblivious). Compared to DAZ would you say they are easier to use? Are there features that make them better or worse? Would like some input before I dl them. Thanks!

PixelRepublic

I ■ Pixels
Donor
Jun 4, 2017
Programs like Daz3D and Makehuman are not 3D modeling programs, they're 3D prototyping programs. Meaning you don't use them to create 3D models or assets from scratch.

Unique 3D assets can be created in the likes of Blender, 3DS or C4D, and imported into the likes of Daz3D for inclusion in scenes. Conversely, scenes from the likes of Daz3D can be imported into the likes of 3DS or Blender to take advantage of better render engines.

Daz3D is popular because it is easy to use for those who don't know 3D modeling, and there is a very large array of pre-made assets available online. Rich and complete scenes can be created very quickly in it.

FetishCollectorD

Donor
Jan 15, 2018
Ahhh I see. Still very new to this. I got blender as well to start learning so maybe I should start with that. Tried a render on a test model in Makehuman with some third party textures that looked good and it kinda sucked but I could totally be doing it wrong. My hope is that sometime (probably a ways off) I can create new models that don't look like the same half dozen I see variations of. Thanks for the help. I'll look into those other programs for sure.

PixelRepublic

I ■ Pixels
Donor
Jun 4, 2017
I would suggest checking out the Daz3D forums. There are tons of learning resources and talented, helpful people there.

Reactions: Papa Ernie

fleeland

Feb 4, 2018
Just curious if anyone here has experience with the Blender or Makehuman programs. I see a ton of DAZ stuff on here but not hide nor hair about either of these programs (maybe I'm oblivious). Compared to DAZ would you say they are easier to use? Are there features that make them better or worse? Would like some input before I dl them. Thanks!
You see a lot of DAZ stuff because it is supposed to be a tool for easily creating characters. Also, there are tons of assets, cloth, etc. for DAZ. Most people don't know how to make cloth, etc. with Blender or other 3d modeling softwares.
Assets can be imported from other sources into Blender. But you also need to set up the materials and textures by hand.
Blender has an advantage that none of the other mentioned programs have: Freedom. But it comes with a price. You have to know, what you're doing.
Makehuman is very outdated. If you want good looking chars out of the box with Blender, take a look at this addon ->
You still have to make cloth on your own. ManuelbastioniLAB has a fitting tool that helps making cloth for different chars more easy. Still nothing for bloody beginners. Download Blender and try it. It's free. Nothing to lose here. :)

That's a big issue with Daz characters, but some have the skills to make it look unique. It helps to check DAZ3d galleries for inspirations.
Yes. :FeelsBadMan:

The Architect

Singing dancing crap of the world
Game Developer
May 2, 2017
DAZ3D is great to set up and pose characters. But I hate using it for any other functions like setting up lighting, animation, materials customization and rendering.

So I pose my characters in DAZ, export them as .OBJ and import into Blender. I work on the materials into Blender and use a python script to re-apply the materials every time a new .OBJ is loaded.

Blender is just... amazing. It's a software that worths to learn. The internal renderer is fast and produces high quality images with well configured materials and global illumination. You can use it's 3D sculpt function to fix common DAZ model problems like clothes clipping, and lack of gravity. It's also MUCH lighter than DAZ.

uradamus

Jan 4, 2018
I love Blender. Even though I tend to be a bit of a slacker who doesn't follow through with anything - and am a bit of an eternal hobbyist - I've been using it for about 11-12 years now and know it better than most. Before that I used Maya for ~6-7 years. It would be nice to see more people embrace Blender, so in pursuit of that, here is a bit of a link dump for handy information related to it.

Starter/general tutorial sources:

Rigging:

Sculpting:

If you are set on morphing characters in Daz, but would rather use those characters within Blender for everything else:

An alternative to Daz and MakeHuman that works directly in Blender itself via an addon:

There is plenty more, but these are just a few things that were on the top of my head as stuff I highly suggest fairly often. I might start a new thread elsewhere to amass a more thorough collection of quality Blender related content I've come across over the years. But this ought to get you started and keep you busy for a few years the way it is, lol.

I Steal Your Cats
Donor
Oct 4, 2017
Don't take my word for it as i'm not 100% sure. However, I think you can also use Hexagon (You need the most recent DAZ3D Studio update, But works for 4.9+) to make your own 3D meshes etc for DAZ.

SingerNS

May 30, 2017
when it comes to modeling one of the best programs is Lightwave...takes some time to learn it, true, but when it comes to modeling and rendering it does wonders...offcourse, every person has its own favorite but imho Lightwave is worth looking at

cooperdk

Engaged Member
Jul 23, 2017
There are so many morphs available in a DAZ model that you can easily change a default character to something completely different.

DAZ is the current winner in terms of quality and ease of use, no question. Then there are the iClone tools which can also be used for 3D, but they are exclusively for 3D games where DAZ will render your design, iClone will only do previews.

Lightwave... mmmyeah it might have been good at some point in time. For DAZ, Hexagon or Blender are the tools to use.