Unreal Engine 3D games

Sep 8, 2016
Hi guys, I am sorry for my English.

Now, we are in the year 2018 and all the developers still using engines like Unity2D and visual novel engines and RPGM.

Why don't they use Engines like Unreal Engine 4, or CryEngine 5?
the quality are fantastic and the assets are available( not as many as the other engines) and the powerful PCs are in their use.

Game like Whorecraft is an example.

Eoin

The Bug Hunter
Donor
Feb 21, 2017
Hi guys, I am sorry for my English.

Now, we are in the year 2018 and all the developers still using engines like Unity2D and visual novel engines and RPGM.

Why don't they use Engines like Unreal Engine 4, or CryEngine 5?
the quality are fantastic and the assets are available( not as many as the other engines) and the powerful PCs are in their use.

Game like Whorecraft is an example.
Not everybody have powerful PC's. Unreal is a massive RAM hogger, even with the tiniest of games. If one has 2-4 gigs (maybe more) of ram, they mightn't be able to run the game.

A dev is looking at the players and the market. Making a game using Ren'Py or Unity will allow maximum reach to most - if not all - players.

Chel

Jun 1, 2017
1. Games like that take more time to develop.
2. People who make visual novels are better off sticking with engines that are meant for visual novels, why should you ever want to make a visual nover in CryEngine?
3. Sometimes it not about how pretty a game looks, but the story.
4. Some people prefer to make their own assets, not use some that are bough off some marketplace.

uradamus

Jan 4, 2018
Unreal is a beast. It has a pretty nice editor and a lot of learning material to get you started, but it is a huge resource hog. It takes up a ton of space, uses a lot of RAM/VRAM, takes ages to build (If you care at all about getting the latest and greatest you will be building it yourself from time to time.) Plus all the projects made with it are super bloated, even a simple test program will be a GB or two in size unless you put in the effort to strip out all the unnecessary crap, which is almost never worth the time it will take. The source is a nightmare too, so even though it's great they make it available to everyone who signs up for an Epic account, it's likely you won't be able to do much by way of editing it in any significant manner without years of game engine development experience. Most decent sized teams have to hire on a seasoned pro to take care of any engine level fixes and additions they may need. Plus it's just overkill for the kinda game concepts most folks are likely to come up with for an adult game they can realistically hope to accomplish on their own or even with a small team.

IMO, Godot is about the best all around engine for solo/small team game development if you want something more than Ren'Py has on offer. It is pretty small, lean on resource use, free and open-source under very liberal terms (MIT based license, which means you just need to keep attribution in place in any engine files you redistribute), decently quick to build and has a surprisingly clean and easy to navigate C++ code base, which is pretty rare. It also has a nice editor, with a lot of bells and whistles. And it's updated a few times a year with great additions and optimizations. The only downside to it is that it's still got a relatively small user base when compared to giants like Unity or Unreal, but there's a pretty strong and knowledgeable community surrounding it and the lead devs are pretty responsive within it.

Guys, do you thinks a 3D person adult game, could be profitable in the market nowadays?
It's hit or miss. If you can come up with a compelling story line, or at least an interesting plot to keep people hooked, and you got decent enough art and are willing to put in the effort to get it in front of as many people as reasonably possible, then yes. There are some devs who do pretty well out there, though not all by a long shot. The market is getting more flooded by the day, meaning you need to be able to set yourself apart if you want to win folks attention and become successful. But there'll always be a market for decently high quality work, so just strive to always do your best with anything you set out to make.

Reactions: lots`o`fap

Gomly1980

Forum Fanatic
Jul 4, 2017
When you think about full studios with hundreds of employee's taking 7+ years to develop one game ... how long do you think it would take 1 guy?

I know there are games being made in unreal etc... but just go look at them. They barely have any content and have been in development for a damn long time. It's slow going.

It's incredibly easy to get assets for RPGM, Unity and Daz is easy enough to use for Ren'py but crafting assets or buying them for more powerful engines takes a hell of a lot and it's just not feasible for amateur developers.

Sure there is profit to be made, it's been shown that people will back games made with powerful engines with monster girl games earning around 7 to 30k a month.

Then remember that the games full fledged developers make cost millions to make that 7k a month doesn't stretch very far.

I have no doubt a 3d adult game could make a ton of money but there are very adult developers that could pull it off.

Alicesoft is probably one of the more well known and make quite a lot of money. Some of their recent games are bordering what you are thinking but not quite there.

For the majority of devs who's work we see on this site ... not going to happen. They don't have the financial backing or experience to be working with those engines.

Unless larger studios move to adult games it's going to take a while until we see something like Witcher 4 Geralt fucks the Lodge of Sorceresses in an epic 3d RPG.

New idea for you CDPR ... hire me.

DarthSeduction

Lord of Passion
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 28, 2017
1. Games like that take more time to develop.
2. People who make visual novels are better off sticking with engines that are meant for visual novels, why should you ever want to make a visual nover in CryEngine?
3. Sometimes it not about how pretty a game looks, but the story.
4. Some people prefer to make their own assets, not use some that are bough off some marketplace.
Well... I'd love to make something more like Life is Strange or Dreamfall in the future, so a 3D engine like Unreal or Cryengine (might be a bit overkill, but still) would be in the books. The real problem for me is your first point again, Time.

In order to make something like that and not lose consumer interest we'd have to do the funding up front, gofundme style. And that requires making a name for yourself to actually warrant the trust to actually do that.