• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Others 3D character model creation for rigged base meshes with AI ?

Smbt3D

Nov 3, 2019
Seeing the huge progress AI made during the last months/ year, I think it's only a matter of one or two years until we're able to create quality characters for base meshes like Genesis 8 (e.g.) with a text to character workflow similar to text to image in AI art. Same goes for 3D environments and props.
Would be literally the end for traditional 3D modelling.

Interested in your opinions. And do you think DAZ will try to protect at least their figure meshes somehow ?

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
I don't see that happening anytime soon. 3D is a completely different ballpark than creating 2D images. Images only need to look good and correct from 1 point of view, while 3D models need to work from all sides.

Maybe some AI for simple hsrdsurfsce models might pop up in the near future, but I wouldn't expect to see one for full characters in the next 5 years.

Reactions: Saint Blackmoor

Saint Blackmoor

Saint and Sinner
Donor
Oct 26, 2017
I see one thing that's going to hurt AI here as far as games go. AI has a stink attached to it now, at least here and in places like Steam. I think Steam has banned it for now. I would venture to say that this has not happened before when a new art asset has come out. It's the "It doesn't take any talent to create" argument.

It actually does take talent and a high level of digital knowledge to do right. The amateur attempts here prove it.

In my limited experience with it, I think it's going to be a fad kind of thing in the future.
The world has jumped on the AI bandwagon, with many looking to make a huge profit from it until it becomes a joke of itself. That's our world now, sadly full of the profit makers using something until it's been rung dry and moving on to the next thing. That's always is what's happened, but with the speed of communication now, it happens at light speed now.

Reactions: vimmers

Smbt3D

Nov 3, 2019
I don't see that happening anytime soon. 3D is a completely different ballpark than creating 2D images. Images only need to look good and correct from 1 point of view, while 3D models need to work from all sides.

Maybe some AI for simple hsrdsurfsce models might pop up in the near future, but I wouldn't expect to see one for full characters in the next 5 years.
I think ist's just a matter of training AI's with 3D scans and imo it's even easier to create something on an existing UV template, speaking of figures.

Smbt3D

Nov 3, 2019
That depends on the size of thedatabase and the training, at least imo. It's not so easy to make (believable) older characters atm. So if this program is able to create believable characters by sampling morphs and textures without charging an assload of money for that, it would be a great improvement. Could also be great for creating unique characters.

shabadu

Jun 5, 2020
without charging an assload of money for that
Big doubt. Not trying to just shit all over what you're saying, but Tafi is the company that owns Daz 3D outright so I see this either being full of subscription fees and digital licensing shenanigans where the end result is you pay a shitload to own nothing, OR it's merely a nifty feature that gets quietly integrated into Daz Studio when it fails to raise a bajillion dollars in investment capital.