3D Animations - Current State of the World

matchcakes

Jan 22, 2024
New to the community here. Got introduced from an AVN on Steam, and after downloading Daz3D to create my own AVN, stumbled across this website. Been "lurking" for a week or two now, just learning what I can. Before going too deep down a rabbit hole (and already spending $100s on Daz3D assets), wanted to take a pulse on the community here.

- Is Daz3D still the go-to here? Know the Genesis 8 -> 9 transition is underway so some things still haven't fully ported over
- Thoughts on Unity? I just downloaded a few AVNs that are using Unity3D for animation loops, and it's looking good, plus *far* more general assets in unity than Daz. Adult stuff, no, but in terms of creating a more varied story, characters, etc, seems like Unity may be the way to go?

So, what's the state of the world now?

jamdan

Forum Fanatic
Sep 28, 2018
Most 3D NSFW animations are made in Blender or SFM. Daz isn't the best for animations. Because it's slow and not that well optimized in general. But it does have a handful of stock pre-made animations you could use, although people will recognize those if you use them because they're pretty common.

But for VN's, yeah Daz is the go-to program people use since it's easy to use and has lots of assets. You can make varied stuff if you kitbash and adjust your characters to look more unique.

You can also import most things into Daz, so you aren't limited to just the Daz store either. It just takes more work.

You don't have to use Gen 9, most games still use 8/8.1 because they have more stuff available and people have mixed feelings on Gen 9 since it's a combined mesh (male and female in 1 figure)

Most VN's use Renpy to make the actual game though, again because it's easy. It's made for VN's specifically, there are Unity games and even a VN plugin for Unity, but those take more programming skill. Most NSFW VN's are made by amateurs, not seasoned arists/programmers. As far as animation loops, you can put those in Renpy too. Those are usually just video files.