• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

2022 Survey: Your preferences in adult games.

Syploore

Jun 14, 2020
I'd like to repeat the survey to get fresh and new results.

This survey can help current/future AVN developers understand what they need to pay attention to and what the audience likes. You can select as many, or as few, of the choices you want.

This survey is for VN only. ( Games like: Summer's gone, Being a DIK, Dating my Daughter etc. )

I hope doesn't mind that I took his survey, altered it a bit, and posted it. Unfortunately the site does not allow you to add more than ten answers, so I used the services of google.

Here is the link for answers: -
Here is the link to view the results: -

Thanks for the input.

Syploore.

Last edited:
Reactions: DreamingAway

Ophanim

May 2, 2018
I'm sorry to say, but the NTR and Visual questions feel quite poorly designed atm, and any info you get from them is likely to be bunk.

With the NTR one, I can't say 'I am indifferent to whether a game contains NTR' because I have to voice a packaged approval or disapproval of whether content should be made avoidable or not, which impacts things like a game's plot structure. You also never accounted for people who aren't into NTR and thus don't seek it out specifically, but also don't care if some games unavoidably include it. That's going to skew the data, because you can't not answer, and if you don't care about the 'great unending NTR debate' and treat it like the presence of any other fetish, your only option is to say 'I like it', which isn't accurate either.

With the visual one, people can't say 'I prefer text games', for example, when asked about animations vs stills, which excludes a portion of the community and skews the data because you haven't accounted for the existence of games where visual elements aren't present at all.

Gotta account for more of your variables, friendo :D

Last edited:

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
I'm sorry to say, but the NTR and Visual questions feel quite poorly designed atm, and any info you get from them is likely to be bunk.
The questions are too generic, yes. Most of the time my answer would have been in between two proposed choices.

Syploore

Jun 14, 2020

With the NTR one, I can't say 'I am indifferent to whether a game contains NTR' because I have to voice a packaged approval or disapproval of whether content should be made avoidable or not, which impacts things like a game's plot structure. You also never accounted for people who aren't into NTR and thus don't seek it out specifically, but also don't care if some games unavoidably include it. That's going to skew the data, because you can't not answer, and if you don't care about the 'great unending NTR debate' and treat it like the presence of any other fetish, your only option is to say 'I like it', which isn't accurate either.

With the visual one, people can't say 'I prefer text games', for example, when asked about animations vs stills, which excludes a portion of the community and skews the data because you haven't accounted for the existence of games where visual elements aren't present at all.

Gotta account for more of your variables, friendo :D
I changed the answers slightly regarding visuals and animations and removed the NTR section entirely because it was too imprecise. I realized that NTR content is completely dependent on the story and its plot, characters, and overall picture of the game and every game has it different.

I'm open to suggestions on how to improve this poll. I'd like to make it as useful and informative to use as possible.

The questions are too generic, yes. Most of the time my answer would have been in between two proposed choices.
I'd like to hear exactly what answers you have in mind so I can improve them.

Reactions: Ophanim

1tomadeira

Engaged Member
May 25, 2017
It should there an option "I prefer no animation than shity animations" imo. I prefer games with animations, but if those are bad, I would rather play without it.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
I'd like to hear exactly what answers you have in mind so I can improve them.
All ?

Story Vs Sexual content should be two ranking, because it's neither one or the other, nor both equally. Having to rank, independently, the story and the sexual content would permit to give a better answer.

Seeing MC's face. Did it include profile pictures ? And there's a difference between seeing his face "constantly", and seeing it when it really and effectively make sense.

For the mini-games.
There's a difference between skipping them systematically and skipping them punctually. And having to choose between enjoying them and being ok with then as long as they are rewarding don't let place to "being ok with them as long as they are significant to the story". While there's a difference between skipping them when they are annoying, and skipping them systematically.

The Animations have been fixed.

nulnil

May 18, 2021
Some of these questions are too dependent on the circumstances.
  • Story \ Sexual content: This only matters if the game in question is a VN or is heavily story-based. In most (non-novel) games the story doesn't mean jack shit and can't stand on it's own.
  • MC's Face: This also depends on what the MC is. They could be female, male, or even non-human.
  • Mini-Games: This depends on whether this is a real game or just a visual novel. VN's should have never touched minigames. There's then a wholel of dependency on what the minigame actually is if it's not a VN. This ranges from pac-man to hitting a button to make progress go a little faster.
  • Animation: Again, dependent on what kind of game it is. If you have a game with lots of movement i.e. side-scroller/3D Game, I'm going to expect animations.

Syploore

Jun 14, 2020
All ?

Story Vs Sexual content should be two ranking, because it's neither one or the other, nor both equally. Having to rank, independently, the story and the sexual content would permit to give a better answer.

Seeing MC's face. Did it include profile pictures ? And there's a difference between seeing his face "constantly", and seeing it when it really and effectively make sense.

For the mini-games.
There's a difference between skipping them systematically and skipping them punctually. And having to choose between enjoying them and being ok with then as long as they are rewarding don't let place to "being ok with them as long as they are significant to the story". While there's a difference between skipping them when they are annoying, and skipping them systematically.

The Animations have been fixed.
Some of these questions are too dependent on the circumstances.
  • Story \ Sexual content: This only matters if the game in question is a VN or is heavily story-based. In most (non-novel) games the story doesn't mean jack shit and can't stand on it's own.
  • MC's Face: This also depends on what the MC is. They could be female, male, or even non-human.
  • Mini-Games: This depends on whether this is a real game or just a visual novel. VN's should have never touched minigames. There's then a wholel of dependency on what the minigame actually is if it's not a VN. This ranges from pac-man to hitting a button to make progress go a little faster.
  • Animation: Again, dependent on what kind of game it is. If you have a game with lots of movement i.e. side-scroller/3D Game, I'm going to expect animations.
I'm sorry I didn't mention that this poll is only about VN. I corrected that. Please read the OP.

I added a new section about sex scenes in the first versions of the game. I'm curious to know how many people are willing to play the first version of the game without sex scenes and just follow the story and get to know the characters and vice versa.

I've changed the section on minigames a bit and added new answers.

I also changed the section about the main character's face and added new answers.

I would like to hear more specific wording about changing the "Story \ Sexual content." section to make it more informative.

Syploore.

Reactions: Ophanim

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
I'm sorry I didn't mention that this poll is only about VN.
Well, if you don't understand that what I said, and a part of what nulnil said, apply to VN, no wonder that the choices are so generics.

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
I understand your heart is in the right place - but you do realize this survey does nothing to tell developers anything right? In fact, the results of this survey could actually cause developers problems if they follow the results.

All of the following biases that will skew your survey:
  1. Sampling bias - you are not making sure to get a representative sample of the greater population, in terms of gender, race, sexual identity, sexuality, language(s) spoken, location, age, education level, pay/pirate player, etc
  2. Duplicate Responses - You are using Google Forms, and unless you set it up to track IP addresses, you can get people taking the survey several times to skew results. Even if you set it up to limit 1 response per IP, people on here are used to using VPNs to subvert, and could do the same for the survey.
  3. Non-response bias - tens(?), hundreds(?) of millions of people play adult games (there are over 5 billion people with access to the internet, almost as many who have access to clean water in their homes). Tens of thousands come to this site. A minority of those actually read the threads. A minority of those actually type in threads. A minority of those actually participate in polls. A minority of those are going to trust filling out a survey using Google Forms.
  4. Self-selection bias - by extension of the non-response bias, comes the bias of people who want their voices heard (usually the more opinionated, less moderated, individuals). Not only are you getting a non-representative sample with many not taking part, those that do sway the data.
  5. Question order bias - the order of your questions and how each one are worded affects how people not only answer that question, but they form perceptions which affect the way they answer later questions
  6. Answer order bias - it appears the order of your answers within each question aren't randomly presented so as to reduce the "always pick A" group, etc.
A few of the above biases were mitigated when Mr. Pink presented the survey for completion by his Patreon supporters, because the survey had an exact population in mind, it was limited to that population for the sample, and it was most likely tracked by supporter IDs and so people could not game the system as well. Also, he was sampling his own supporters - in doing so, he was focusing on what his income-driven model would do best at to remain at least at the same level of subscriptions at the time. Also, by being attuned to his fandom, it would mean his product would appeal to like-minded people for the possibility of future growth.

Again, I know what you are attempting to do is well-meaning... but I hope I've shared with you that well-meaning isn't always well-doing.

Reactions: Syploore

Syploore

Jun 14, 2020
I understand your heart is in the right place - but you do realize this survey does nothing to tell developers anything right? In fact, the results of this survey could actually cause developers problems if they follow the results.

1. Sampling bias - you are not making sure to get a representative sample of the greater population, in terms of gender, race, sexual identity, sexuality, language(s) spoken, location, age, education level, pay/pirate player, etc
  2. Duplicate Responses - You are using Google Forms, and unless you set it up to track IP addresses, you can get people taking the survey several times to skew results. Even if you set it up to limit 1 response per IP, people on here are used to using VPNs to subvert, and could do the same for the survey.
  3. Non-response bias - tens(?), hundreds(?) of millions of people play adult games (there are over 5 billion people with access to the internet, almost as many who have access to clean water in their homes). Tens of thousands come to this site. A minority of those actually read the threads. A minority of those actually type in threads. A minority of those actually participate in polls. A minority of those are going to trust filling out a survey using Google Forms.
  4. Self-selection bias - by extension of the non-response bias, comes the bias of people who want their voices heard (usually the more opinionated, less moderated, individuals). Not only are you getting a non-representative sample with many not taking part, those that do sway the data.
  5. Question order bias - the order of your questions and how each one are worded affects how people not only answer that question, but they form perceptions which affect the way they answer later questions
  6. Answer order bias - it appears the order of your answers within each question aren't randomly presented so as to reduce the "always pick A" group, etc.
A few of the above biases were mitigated when Mr. Pink presented the survey for completion by his Patreon supporters, because the survey had an exact population in mind, it was limited to that population for the sample, and it was most likely tracked by supporter IDs and so people could not game the system as well. Also, he was sampling his own supporters - in doing so, he was focusing on what his income-driven model would do best at to remain at least at the same level of subscriptions at the time. Also, by being attuned to his fandom, it would mean his product would appeal to like-minded people for the possibility of future growth.

Again, I know what you are attempting to do is well-meaning... but I hope I've shared with you that well-meaning isn't always well-doing.
Well, if you don't understand that what I said, and a part of what nulnil said, apply to VN, no wonder that the choices are so generics.
I want to say thank you for your contribution. I can see now where i fucked up.

I wanted to do an informative survey, but I didn't think it through, so I screwed up. I will remove the survey and consider it closed. I will try to think of a better system for collecting responses and categorizing them for more details for a more successful survey in the future. Thanks to everyone who showed me where I went wrong and to those who answered questions.

Syploore.

Müptezel Emo

Dec 15, 2022
Here's advice for devs.
Do what you love.
Don't look at any statistics, these are all meaningless. Someone like x, someone like y. Meaningless.
You can't make everyone happy, don't add entire fetish list to your game. You are just making all people equally unhappy.
Game projects are complicated things that you need think and try a lot about your systems.

There's no absolute answer for adult games. If you want to add gameplay, just add and try. In the end of the day, if you are satisfied with the result, it's ok.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
To this should be added (due to Google Forms) the fact that the results don't isolate the answers gave by a individual. When you look at the results, there were more answers than voters, what mean that few choose two answers. And this is also a significant information to know.
To take the mini-game question as example, someone who answer "I like mini-games" and "I'll skip if there's a skip if it's possible", doesn't mean the same than someone who just answer that he'll skip them. There's probably a question of annoyance, or too strong presence, that will make him skip the mini-game at least some times.

I agree on this. I have nothing against the intent, but alas the realization led nowhere.