• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Ren'Py 2 part issue from player perspective [ Unable to load modified saved games/access Dev Console in games]

Dickron100

Feb 6, 2022
I have 2 questions, and one of you may know these off the top of your head.

- I use a Mac + the Ren'py launcher app (with Ren'Py 8.1.2.23063001+nightly, at the moment) to launch the PC 'versions' of the games (more versatile, I think, as not all games have up to date versions enveloped in a Mac .app form).

ISSUE 1:
-I used to be able to modify the 00console.rpy file from the game's Renpy>Common directory, changing 'Config.console = False' to 'True' in order to open the Dev Console within a game via SHIFT + O. For some reason, this appears to no longer work. Even after saving the 00console.rpy file and (re)launching the game, the console won't open in the corresponding game. Am I missing something?

ISSUE 2:
There are instances where, without the dev console, I'd want to edit a saved game file. In months past, I'd edit the file via saveeditonline.com, replace the save file in the game's save directory, and load it from the game without issue. That no longer works: when I attempt to load the modified save file, Ren'py/the game pops up a warning saying the saved file was modified externally and asks if I want to load it anyway (YES or NO). If I hit YES, it has the same outcome as hitting NO: drops you back to the Loading menu, without actually loading the saved game. Is there a way around this?

Thanks ~

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
ISSUE 1:
-I used to be able to modify the 00console.rpy file from the game's Renpy>Common directory, changing 'Config.console = False' to 'True' in order to open the Dev Console within a game via SHIFT + O. For some reason, this appears to no longer work. Even after saving the 00console.rpy file and (re)launching the game, the console won't open in the corresponding game. Am I missing something?
Er... Well, it's perhaps just a bug. Nighty versions are part Alpha, part Beta, therefore works in progress destined to people who can help finding bugs. A pure user shouldn't use them.

ISSUE 2:
There are instances where, without the dev console, I'd want to edit a saved game file. In months past, I'd edit the file via saveeditonline.com, replace the save file in the game's save directory, and load it from the game without issue. That no longer works: when I attempt to load the modified save file, Ren'py/the game pops up a warning saying the saved file was modified externally and asks if I want to load it anyway (YES or NO). If I hit YES, it has the same outcome as hitting NO: drops you back to the Loading menu, without actually loading the saved game. Is there a way around this?
Voluntarily, no there's no way around this. If Ren'Py refuse to load even when you choose "YES", it mean that for some reasons the data looks corrupted and, for security reasons Ren'Py will refuse to load them.